'79 Blue Patina Long Bed - Slow Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok ...

I own 2 Land Cruisers, been a member here for over 5 years, and barely have enough time to maintain my Cruisers let alone do a build thread. Figured now is as good a time as any to change that. Plus, I don't have any experience at all with these trucks, and I'll be needing some advice. I do expect progress to be slow, given work, life, and the Cruisers, but I'm excited to start chipping away.

Back Story: I've been keeping an eye on the pickup market for a nice patina truck for the last 18 mo or so - I just knew I wanted red, or blue, and it needed AC and power steering. Really wanted a 5 speed, but this checked too many other boxes not to go for it.

Funny thing, I saw this posted not too long ago on Craigslist but I was traveling at the time. So when I saw it posted for sale again on IG from the account AlwaysToyota, I again didn't have time to see it, but at least knew I could talk to someone who could actually answer some questions, give me trustworthy info over the phone, and the pictures weren't taken with a 15 year old flip phone from their butthole. After a phone call, arrangements were made to get it up to me by the end of the week.

Current Status: Just arrived yesterday as of this post. It runs great, and gets up to a blistering 55mph 😱 no problem. I mostly like camping and adventure, so I'll be going for drivability and to make sure I can get anywhere I want to go.

Plans: First up will be getting rid of these baby tires - probably got with BFG MTs, and tracking down a front bumper in better shape. Haven't really driven it enough yet to know its quirks and what the to-do looks like, but will get started with the standard stuff, brakes, axles, etc., and I'd definitely like a 5 speed in this thing asap. Long term plan will be to add more power, but not sure what is most typical for these trucks.

Only thing I've done so far is give it some patina treatment with Fluid Film - as much as I like the patina look, I don't think this one needs any more.

Anyways, let's get to the pics.

IMG_3424.JPG

IMG_3425.JPG

IMG_3448.JPG

IMG_3451.JPG

IMG_3449.JPG

Last edited:
Wow nice. Welcome to the mini-truck sickness. It's just as bad and just as fun as the Land Cruiser one.

Last edited:
Nice find! I never heard of the Toyota CB, very cool. I actually like the wheels and hub caps. Maybe a different color and some MT's?

The camper shell is kinda ugly and yet cool. Definitely has some room in it.

I'm looking forward to seeing where you take this.

That Toyota CB is way cool and WAY valuable. Does it work? Also those floormats!

100% agree on swapping the transmission. That 4-speed is just OK, but the shifter (at least on mine) is terrible. Especially compared to a W56 in a 85 4Runner.

Nice find! I never heard of the Toyota CB, very cool. I actually like the wheels and hub caps. Maybe a different color and some MT's?

The camper shell is kinda ugly and yet cool. Definitely has some room in it.

I'm looking forward to seeing where you take this.
Thanks, man! I like the look of these wheels, too, but I don't like the options you have with 15x5.5. I have a set of the grey City Racer 16x6s which are my personal favorite but I'd like to do something different here. I like BFGs, so it seems I need to chose between 31s and 33s. Only other way I'd go is with the 17" FJ Cruiser wheels, which are pretty cheap at $150/ea, and I can then get my favorite option, the skinny 32s. The never ending wheel/tire conundrum...

Hear you on the camper shell. It's pretty ugly, but I'm glad it came with one as I plan to use it.

That Toyota CB is way cool and WAY valuable. Does it work? Also those floormats!

100% agree on swapping the transmission. That 4-speed is just OK, but the shifter (at least on mine) is terrible. Especially compared to a W56 in a 85 4Runner.
It definitely works! I didn't know about them prior to this truck. Really cool little unit.

Ha, the shifter on mine is sooo loose. Took me a bit to figure out all the gears. This thing needs to go asap if I'm gonna take it anywhere but the grocery store. Between my 60, 73, and Pickup I have 3 different shifters and R locations. That'll make you an alert driver!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom