Meet "The Horned one" '64 FJ 40" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes, but, while FJ25s and the earlier ('61 and '62) FJ40 hard tops did have the same bumper-less hoods as this 1964, they did not have the same interior latches as this 1964. Instead they had "hinges" like these . . .

IMG_0623.JPG

I know the square lights in back need to be removed but how about the white back up lights, are these aftermarket?

I know the square lights in back need to be removed but how about the white back up lights, are these aftermarket?

yes, aftermarket. they need to hit the garbage can

Agreed, those appear to be the ubiquitous clear “Stratolites”. Same as the one the PO drilled holes and mounted in the rear of my rig’s tub. Be glad yours are mounted on cheesy brackets instead!

I looked up the vin on the sor list but it starts after this truck, can anyone tell me when this truck was built?

FWIW, the frame/VIN of my early ‘64 is 3-FJ40-19054, which indicates a build date sometime in the ‘63 calendar year. The truck was originally sold here in Oregon in November 1963, so I assume a build date of late summer? I have not been able to pin it down any closer than that.

There was a pile of parts and junk stored in the back of the truck from the PO. I know what most of the parts are but a few I have no idea!

Man, I look at these pictures and think how many of those parts I’d like to have for my current ‘64 FST project. While I’d like to know that this rig gets a new F motor and returns to use, a part of me hopes that you decide to part it out and I might be able to score some great parts. I know, that part of me is a bit of a vulture...
Take that back!

The interior picture suggests the OEM roof vent in back is missing. Even in a dry climate it may of leaked, rusted, and been slicked off. Is it there in good shape? Pics appreciated.

Yes, but, while FJ25s and the earlier ('61 and '62) FJ40 hard tops did have the same bumper-less hoods as this 1964, they did not have the same interior latches as this 1964. Instead they had "hinges" like these . . .

View attachment 1602747
My 1964 manufactured FJ40 has the fold down hinges and the defrost vents that prevent windshield fold down. I think there was a soft top option for such vehicles, but it required a few steps to get there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom