Meet "The Horned one" '64 FJ 40" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nifski

SILVER Star
Threads
I picked this up because it was very dry and no rust. Arizona Truck its entire life. Bought from second owner that drove it from '67 on. At some point in the '70's he dropped a 350 in it and drove it up to about 10 years ago, removed the small block and left the trans and original transfer case in it. He sealed the big screen with a couple of tubes of sealant and what looks to bo beeswax. Sealed all openings with aluminum duct tape and buried it under a plastic and plywood tomb. It was like peeling an onion to get all the layers off. Before putting it to rest he took rattle cans of white paint to cover any surface rust, the original paint is an off white. Did early 40's engine firewalls come black from the factory? Would like to hear your thoughts on the vin and what's correct and not!

IMG_5685.JPG

IMG_5688.JPG

IMG_5690.JPG

IMG_5691.JPG

IMG_5692.JPG

Nice! A bit later than my '64 soft top. The missing engine is a bummer, but beyond that there is a lot to work with there.

The firewall and underside of the hood are black on mine, i've been led to believe that black is correct for this year.

Cool truck. I inquired about this one too.

Mostly original. Tranny hump replacement (easy find) and source a period correct drivetrain. Far as I know the firewall what the body color. Remove the ugly, square tail lamps and you’re good.

Also, although your heater isn’t oem, it was a period correct dealer option. (Arvin/Alvin)?

First thought is congratulations on the acquisition. Second thought is how structurally sound and straight it is---remarkable. Third thought is how atypical it is to see a 1964 hardtop model with soft top windshield fold-down latches on the inside paired with the typical hardtop no-rubber-bumper and no windshield tie-down latch hood. But the fourth thought is that the "L" behind the "FJ40" suggests that it was initially manufactured as soft top model.

Yes, engine-side of the firewall in 1964 was factory black.

Again, congratulations.

(Edited to say, I actually don't know what year Toyota started putting a "V" behind the "L" to distinguish between soft top and hard top body types.)

Last edited:
Does have barn doors and I don’t see holes for the FST tailgate. Interesting.

Nice find.

Looks like a factory hardtop. The folding windshield hinges, but lack of hood bumpers would be correct.

The firewall should be black. The underside of the hood and underside of the body should also be black.

The heater is the correct Hupp Manufacturing dealer installed heater for these trucks.

Nice find.

Looks like a factory hardtop. The folding windshield hinges, but lack of hood bumpers would be correct.

The firewall should be black. The underside of the hood and underside of the body should also be black.

The heater is the correct Hupp Manufacturing dealer installed heater for these trucks.

What year-model did the interior windshield latch & hook mechanism show up on hard top models, as opposed to the earlier windshield-to-dash stud & nut set up?

Firewall, underhood and underside paint color schemes by year come from where?

Nice onion to peel!

Label makers must have been OEM;)

Man, I look at these pictures and think how many of those parts I’d like to have for my current ‘64 FST project. While I’d like to know that this rig gets a new F motor and returns to use, a part of me hopes that you decide to part it out and I might be able to score some great parts. I know, that part of me is a bit of a vulture...

Nice find.

Just curious, if you fold the windshield down on these, how do you keep it in place ?

Bungee cords?

Ha , Ha, I suppose I should elaborate the true question. Was it a design flaw to have a fold down windshield and have no way of securing it ? My 1969 has hood hooks and rubber stops on the hood so somewhere they had to figure it out.

Ha , Ha, I suppose I should elaborate the true question. Was it a design flaw to have a fold down windshield and have no way of securing it ? My 1969 has hood hooks and rubber stops on the hood so somewhere they had to figure it out.

It’s an oddity that Toyota made them this way. The hardtop FJ25’s and early hardtop 40’s were like this for some reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom