Imported Chinese Rooftop Tents? (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

as has been well discussed before, it's not because it's from China that it's bad quality. However, it is probably reasonable to expect that most US-based business will want to have a bit of control over quality so their reputation does not suffer too much. So they will likely either/both follow up with a reasonable warranty and/or exert some additional QC in China during manufacture. Without the brand name and US bizness you'd think that on average the quality will be lower. Maybe as good but quite possibly worse. Unlikely that it'd be better I would think. And dealing with a warranty claim with a factory in Shenzen would likely be interesting to say the least.
Now, in an ideal competitive world you'd think the US-side markup will not be ridiculously excessive but no guarantee of that either. So, sure, you could get the same thing for much less by yourself if the US seller just buys the same thing from Alibaba and then marks it up by $500 after sewing a 10c label on it.
One other aspect of that, though, is resale. I would think that you'd be much less likely to be able to resell a tent at a reasonable price if it is a no-name one. That side alone could well wipe out much of the original savings.
Bottom line, I'd probably stick with an established US company / distributor.

When I started shopping for one, I was drawn to the low per unit price on Alibaba and stuff. We ended up buying various things from manufacturer over there as kind of a group buy, but I got the only RTT.

Shipping and customs add up, plus, if you don't live in the port where it is received, you have to figure that out too. The one I have is basically same size as a Gran Sabana or the big 3-4 person Autana styled Smittybilt. In fact mine looks almost identical to the Smittybilt but I have an annex (with no floor) and they don't offer one, and I don't have any "sky" option in my roof. The QA on the frame assembly could have been a little better, and it shipped without the ladder brackets (which I bought from Tepui). Construction of the actual tent and all of the seams I would put on par with any of the other manufacturers. The mattress is not as good as I would like, but I haven't been able to compare it to any others.

I'm satisfied with what I have, but I'm not sure I really saved any money and definitely not time/effort in getting it to my doorstep.

https://goo.gl/photos/QhC8H6CCkh3FwaFS8

IrdymmmKrUTdMjEtoGdbLvWCpXD3cVkwagGdYjo3d1cSYxNnR9jP-_BHfEovn4bCn39rEIP-edj584EXzzzZeklEFZ5yttMikIKRbSkWzVh7NXrXDOkt9pYP2BocR9kKlo-4Gfy4YGeM2RCw2DE343WDogs3-Tcj8pFIo0s77qurFo8hNH-QBCMZvDX8tMYNINOuAyMnF1VtqdoS6oRSWBrQL9w7Tou-6pZ-wx3F_yQQwkI7gkjLe00N795kMNopOaAU3WBhbeIQeKHVryx78OjfZgCxa09LNI0woT7AGixVYFIvqwpc_-ayQhR-CBge8CqcC87-a2g7yuwyIpmE0-eWt9KcqdnVhL0Tq_YnJYi-sMygLQRBVLDw8uZE_7WIcYCIF9Ca8DG7wJcq0bm9jAh27Rw9UXNHjb1ZNk4CDj6wdFRxcUo8fh35pnXS04b9HABEBEgzsMhJOhZOHpcdBqeC2XL1OT9w4hpiys1TJ2z2qd2AK8Wdkw5LMDGagvQx42Z5FB-eeCq75tVNy6bbPapLsUvUbmDFUYcKfg4vxun-nJegLpHeHnb3pYouLlPY3EgvQPcgkrMYhloHu5p_hB-Ig2NsgjcLi895hfSEEzR3Duo4Ltzn=w1379-h1034-no

interesting, those aliexpress prices do not seem to be dramatically lower than typical US prices.

(that transparent bubble tent is tempting to try for the scenery effect, I must say, if a bit unpractical. Might be fun in the rain too.)

What was the total cost with shipping if you don't mind me asking?

Here is a breakdown of my total costs.

Tent - $950

Shipping - $238

To the Shipping Company (Translink Shipping)
Chassis Rental Charge - $10
Chassis Re-positioning - $10
Transfer Fee - $65
Clean Truck Fee - $10
Bond Charge - $60
Customs Broker Fee - $100
Duty Fee - $78
Port Security Fee - $25
Terminal Handling Charge - $16.75
Traffic Mitigation Fee - $10

Total: $384.75

If you pick the tent up from the port you can avoid the broker fee and a warehouse fee. Just be sure to have all your paperwork ready.

Grand Total: $1,572

I would purchase again in a heartbeat. A hard shell tent of this size would literally cost you almost double what I paid. As I have said before, it has already withstood some of the most extreme camping conditions I have faced without a hiccup. You also get the opportunity to chose the shell color and you get to choose which color canvas you would like as well.

Here is a breakdown of my total costs.

Tent - $950

Shipping - $238

To the Shipping Company (Translink Shipping)
Chassis Rental Charge - $10
Chassis Re-positioning - $10
Transfer Fee - $65
Clean Truck Fee - $10
Bond Charge - $60
Customs Broker Fee - $100
Duty Fee - $78
Port Security Fee - $25
Terminal Handling Charge - $16.75
Traffic Mitigation Fee - $10

Total: $384.75

If you pick the tent up from the port you can avoid the broker fee and a warehouse fee. Just be sure to have all your paperwork ready.

Grand Total: $1,572

I would purchase again in a heartbeat. A hard shell tent of this size would literally cost you almost double what I paid. As I have said before, it has already withstood some of the most extreme camping conditions I have faced without a hiccup. You also get the opportunity to chose the shell color and you get to choose which color canvas you would like as well.

Thank you! great breakdown. Not bad in my opinion.

What about shipping time?

It was about 7 weeks from payment to pickup. I placed my order on 4/1 and it arrived in Long Beach port via cargo ship on 5/3. I then received the tent at a warehouse here in Dallas on 5/18.

It was about 7 weeks from payment to pickup. I placed my order on 4/1 and it arrived in Long Beach port via cargo ship on 5/3. I then received the tent at a warehouse here in Dallas on 5/18.
Thanks!

@ga89hoss and others on this thread.

Would you say $1500 for a blackfin tent is a good buy? It would be $1700 to the door. They had a bit of a sketchy looking kickstarter, but I have the opportunity to pick one up now.

Curious to see what everyone thinks.
blackfin.jpg
blackfin2.jpg

It appears the exact same as other brands and Chinese versions, but with a logo attached.

@ga89hoss and others on this thread.

Would you say $1500 for a blackfin tent is a good buy? It would be $1700 to the door. They had a bit of a sketchy looking kickstarter, but I have the opportunity to pick one up now.

Curious to see what everyone thinks.View attachment 1486865 View attachment 1486866

I did quite a bit of online research looking at different versions of the tents and the vendors that offer them. To me that one looks to be ABS plastic. According to my research you DO NOT want abs as it will break and crack unlike fiberglass which can be repaired. I would ask what the plastic material is. There are vendors in china that make very cheap hardshell RTT's, around $800 plus fees to the USA. I paid $1300 for a smaller fiberglass version comparable to the ones from roofnest. That was from a guy that had brought them in and sold them locally in SD. From my research the going rate is about $1500 for the larger units and $1300 for the smaller. That price includes all fees etc but you would have to pick the tent up from the closest shipping port. It was a no brainer to get mine locally from this craigslist guy as the amount of travel was minimal and he was only a few towns over. FYI, both myself, and the local guy I bought the tent from went through unistrength. I am happy with the quality of their units. Here's some contact info for the lady I worked with. I would have purchased a lot of them but surprisingly there was not enough interest. Go through Alibaba and follow alibaba directions to ensure you are covered for your purchase. It is actually very easy to do.

Helen Wang
Sales Manager

Beijing Unistrengh International Trade Co., Ltd.

Email:helen@playdooutdoor.com

+8615188366069
Tel:86-10-82540530

Web:www.unistrengh.com

Face Book:http//www.facebook.com/playdooutdoor/

I did quite a bit of online research looking at different versions of the tents and the vendors that offer them. To me that one looks to be ABS plastic. According to my research you DO NOT want abs as it will break and crack unlike fiberglass which can be repaired. I would ask what the plastic material is. There are vendors in china that make very cheap hardshell RTT's, around $800 plus fees to the USA. I paid $1300 for a smaller fiberglass version comparable to the ones from roofnest. That was from a guy that had brought them in and sold them locally in SD. From my research the going rate is about $1500 for the larger units and $1300 for the smaller. That price includes all fees etc but you would have to pick the tent up from the closest shipping port. It was a no brainer to get mine locally from this craigslist guy as the amount of travel was minimal and he was only a few towns over. FYI, both myself, and the local guy I bought the tent from went through unistrength. I am happy with the quality of their units. Here's some contact info for the lady I worked with. I would have purchased a lot of them but surprisingly there was not enough interest. Go through Alibaba and follow alibaba directions to ensure you are covered for your purchase. It is actually very easy to do.

Helen Wang
Sales Manager

Beijing Unistrengh International Trade Co., Ltd.

Email:helen@playdooutdoor.com

+8615188366069
Tel:86-10-82540530

Web:www.unistrengh.com

Face Book:http//www.facebook.com/playdooutdoor/

Awesome information and Thank you very much. I will investigate on the material. I really want a name brand, but it's hard to justify $2500+ for them.

"The box itself is made of fiberglass and designed to be aerodynamic and cut wind, minimizing the noise and maximizing fuel efficiency. It is 83 inches from front to back and 50 inches side to side. When collapsed down, the box is 11 inches tall. When fully extended in camping mode, the tent is 36 inches tall."

another note, I actually prefer the crank up type of mechanisms, I have heard that the pop up type can be troublesome as the pistons weaken over time and the tent won't hold taught. Plus IMO it is easier to crank it up from one spot rather than having to push it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom