Imported Chinese Rooftop Tents? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I looked into importing a tent but eventually decided that the Smittybilt Overlander XL at $1100 shipped to my driveway was just as cheap as importing one tent from China, maybe cheaper. The tent looks identical to some Tepui and CVT tents that cost much more.

I'll follow up soon with more details but mine is installed and ready to go. Temps in the high 20's at night and getting over a cold have prevented a test run just yet.

I was impressed with how quiet the hard shell tent was on the 200 mile drive home last weekend. You can tell it's there but just barely.

Can you please tell me about this roof top tent. Brand and other important specifications?

It's china import .. I could ask for more details .. he is here in the forum under @redstang410 not very active here tho ..

Just pulled the trigger on this one:

Edit:. Shoot it's gone I grabbed the last one. Looks just like this:

Amazon RTT

$1,435 with coupon free shipping no sales tax. Don't know how they do it.

Last edited:
Haha me too. Today in fact. We will see how it works out.

Mine arrived and seems to work great in my garage. Not sure if they will end up stocking more but it certainly was much cheaper than other options. Haven't been able to find anything wrong with it yet.

I have to believe someone imported a quantity of these to sell on Amazon and got tired of sitting on them, needed to cash out, pay the credit card bill, etc. Can't believe they will sell this cheap on a regular basis.

Yeah I found another seller who almost states that. The English is translated so maybe we are wrong. Going to try to build a hoist today to see if i can load it without help

Like it was said earlier, 99% of the roof tents are made in China anyways. You just don't get the name brand.

No so. Tents are made in Australia, Africa, Portugal, and Italy. Perhaps other countries as well.

The Chinese are not all making the same tents... and or sure the ones they make are cut rate copies of tents by manufacturers who have pioneered the RTT market.

What you get depends on who designed it, what materials are used, and manufacturers experience.

Warranty and spare parts are not a small issue, either.

Yep. Had it for awhile opened up in the garage. Finally got storage/load/unload figured out. Haven't camped in it yet but it seems real nice. Extended trip (for me) later in the summer so I can report out then.

Here is the tent mounted. I bought a winch for my garage also. Used 2x4 in place of the angle iron as I attached some caster wheels so I can roll it a round if i need to.

20190414_204234.jpg

Safe money, buy Chinese, support child slave labor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom