Imported Chinese Rooftop Tents? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi Guys, I'm new here,
I'm paying for a 85 x 57 x 37" Hard Shell Rtt from Unistrength today.. I spent the last month talking to 10 different reps in China and this was the only company that had a large one on hand.. Total to port with taxes should be $1600 I feel its worth the risk, to save 1200.00 and if it goes wrong I can return it within 30 days and start again. It's nice to hear your stories and see your pics of successful transactions.. my White hard shell will be here May21 I will keep you updated.. Dwight in New Orleans

Yours is Unistrength? Mine is coming the end of this month.. how is yours holding up? it's been almost a year.. thanks Dwight in New Orleans

Yes I got mine from Unistrength. No complaints here. My brother borrowed it for a fishing trip in the smokies a couple weeks ago and after 4 nights he had nothing but good things to say.

Yes I got mine from Unistrength. No complaints here. My brother borrowed it for a fishing trip in the smokies a couple weeks ago and after 4 nights he had nothing but good things to say.
Thank you! I'm picking mine up in 2 weeks.. can't wait..

So what’s the verdict from the people that have bought? Quality? Complaints?

I’ve bought tents from China for camping off of my KTM and the quality was excellent. I’ve bought other camping gear on aliexpress that was good quality, I may buy a RTT from China too. My TWIC card will get me into the port of Oakland so I can easily pick it up while I’m at work.

It's awesome.. we love it. .
Unistrength on Alibaba about $1500 total, the customs is a bit of a hassle.. but Tian Anna from Unistrength helped me the whole way

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

I'm in the process of buying the same unit as @Dwight Marshall. So far the process has been smooth, I have the same Unistrengrh rep (Anna Tian) and she's been very responsive. I'll reply back once it arrives with more details.

I have limited experience, but the Chinese hard she'll RTT my friend looked at weight literally twice as much as my similar CVT . Unless I could see it in person and weigh it there is no way I would buy one. Plus a used one from a reputable company can be had for the same price. Crappy fiberglass work with tons of resin is not something I would pay for.

Also, I note, the most recent ones shown are not insulated, as they appear in the pictures, a proper hard shell is insulated top and bottom.

Ok everyone; I'm not trying to pick apart anyone's gear choices but in the words of Tom Hanks; "I don't get it."
Please enlighten me with the features/benefits one gets from a tent whose 1500 price is on the "cheap" side?
More simply stated, why something like this https://www.moosejaw.com/product/tepui-tents-ayer-sky-tent_10346511
vs. something like thishttps://www.backcountrygear.com/northstar-4.html?utm_keyword=TNF2N45285-GDOAK%2FPVMT&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=roi+plas+-+all+products
I see 2 possible advantages with 1 being up off of the ground, and 2 I guess camping within the vehicle footprint or able to set up anywhere.
What else am I missing?

@ZackR I think I am planning on going the same direction. Do you know how long it will take from the time you contacted them for purchase to when it will be on its way to you?

@ZackR I think I am planning on going the same direction. Do you know how long it will take from the time you contacted them for purchase to when it will be on its way to you?

If you are going with custom made it'll be a few weeks from order to shipment . I bought one in stock and it shipped out within a week, but is still in transit . I'd say from order to arrival plan on 6-8 week's total .

Very cool. The only thing I prefer is the white tops, the rest I could careless about. I am guessing you saved by multiple orders. I may try to do the same with some people local to here.

Ok everyone; I'm not trying to pick apart anyone's gear choices but in the words of Tom Hanks; "I don't get it."
Please enlighten me with the features/benefits one gets from a tent whose 1500 price is on the "cheap" side?
More simply stated, why something like this https://www.moosejaw.com/product/tepui-tents-ayer-sky-tent_10346511
vs. something like thishttps://www.backcountrygear.com/northstar-4.html?utm_keyword=TNF2N45285-GDOAK%2FPVMT&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=roi+plas+-+all+products
I see 2 possible advantages with 1 being up off of the ground, and 2 I guess camping within the vehicle footprint or able to set up anywhere.
What else am I missing?

Common question. Like anything there are advantages and disadvantages:
My opinion.
Advantages:
-Don't need to find a flat relatively rock free spot to put your tent.
-Very comfortable. 3" memory foam mattress, warm too
-No water from ground making things muddy or wet
-great views. The elevated sleeping area makes for some great views at dawn.
-self contained. I don't have to find someplace inside to put it.
-"sense" of security. Do I think this will actually prevent a bear from getting to me --> no, but I sure feel safer. And just like my political opinions if I feel I am correct then your "facts" or "logic" won't persuade me.

Disadvantages:
-Pretty big and bulky on top, not the easiest to take on and off regularly although doable and I do.
-Expensive plus you often need/want an aftermarket rack (more $)
-adds weight to top of your vehicle, which is not ideal
-more work to take down everyday if you plan to travel daily. Even just from campsite to a nearby trailhead.

Washes:
-setup/takedown, Once you get practiced with a RTT it is pretty fast and I do it by myself regularly. Very fast with wife. Supposedly some hard tops are like 30 seconds. Also, being able to leave sleeping bags up there saves a little time effort and space.
-size, its pretty spacious in ours. 2 adults and 1 child is not cramped in a 56" wide tent. Now a ground tent can get huge, but I don't regularly camp at places where you could even fit one of those on level ground.

Probably more than this.

Cool. Those are some valid points. I definitely need to get things from the roof down sorted before I even consider putting $2-3k on the roof.
I'm guessing it would take some know-how and dedication for an a-hole to dismount and drive off with someone's rooftop rig as well.

BTW...there is a place in Ontario Cali that are selling the hardtops for $1500. I picked one up, and will be testing it this month. So far, no complaints.

Hard Shell-Fiber Glass-Roof Top Tent For Camping (RTT)

Just read through this thread and went looking for CL ads.

The one above expired and is now here: Hard Shell-Fiber Glass-Roof Top Tent For Camping (RTT)

Plus the "rtt" query I did turned up this ad: Roof Top Tent- Brand new.

Which contains this link:

Kalifornia Tents supply quality Roof Top Tents

Look good for $1150 installed in San Clemented, CA:

00b0b_iNgp0abrG8q_600x450.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom