Want get rid of center console cooler box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Buy a non-US, non-cooled, center console assembly.

Or a used Australian one and see if you can fabricobble it into a LHD. You'll probably lose rear A/C.

TOYOTA LANDCRUISER CONSOLE 200 SERIES, CONSOLE, 11/07- 2015

2016-_Toyota-_Land_Cruiser-_GX-console-storage-1280x.jpg

Last edited:
When I bought my new to me LX570, I was pleasantly surprised that the one I purchase did not have the coolbox. I had assumed all of them had it. We keep tons of stuff in there, from baby wipes, small tools, and kleenex! It's very deep and spacious.

The one thing that I didn't want was rear seat video (a la drop down screen). Incredibly, it has been such a boon for the kiddos (3&7). They already had ipads, but it's just different when it's playing overhead and they can't spaz and FF or skip through videos. Long drives are a pleasure. And the surround audio ain't so shabby.

Both our LX's also dont have the cool box either. Seems more of the LC had them which seems odd.

Thanks all. I will grab the console tray as a short term solution. Long term I would love to gain the additional space from getting rid of it all together. However, it is a bit down the list right now. Was hoping someone had pioneered the way on a swap.

My coolbox is my friend:

I keep chocolate milk boxes and bottled Cokes in mine...and the
Border Patrol guys now know I'm always good for ice cold chocolate milk!

No lie, Lol

And... Chocolate milk MAY have been a factor when a Highway Patrol let me off with just a warning when I was pulled over in Ohio for speeding! Makes for a friendly exchange...because...who doesn't like chocolate milk??

I'm tellin ya... Chocolate Milk Diplomacy WORKS! Thanks COOL BOX! :clap::hillbilly:

My coolbox is my friend:

I keep chocolate milk boxes and bottled Cokes in mine...and the
Border Patrol guys now know I'm always good for ice cold chocolate milk!

No lie, Lol

And... Chocolate milk MAY have been a factor when a Highway Patrol let me off with just a warning when I was pulled over in Ohio for speeding! Makes for a friendly exchange...because...who doesn't like chocolate milk??

I'm tellin ya... Chocolate Milk Diplomacy WORKS! Thanks COOL BOX! :clap::hillbilly:

Until you get that one lactose intolerant highway patrolman :)

Not a bad idea though. Maybe I'll stock up on some stuff before my Baja trip to grease the wheels of the Policía Federal.

Until you get that one lactose intolerant highway patrolman :)

Not a bad idea though. Maybe I'll stock up on some stuff before my Baja trip to grease the wheels of the Policía Federal.

Lactose intolerant cops are free to fart all they want in their HP cars... :hillbilly: Or...they get a glass bottled Coke. ;)

Honestly, it's just a friendly gesture and I offer.
Around here, many truck trails are crawling with Border Patrol guys who are very friendly, and it's just a fun ice-breaker.

Lactose intolerant cops are free to fart all they want in their HP cars... :hillbilly: Or...they get a glass bottled Coke. ;)

Honestly, it's just a friendly gesture and I offer.
Around here, many truck trails are crawling with Border Patrol guys who are very friendly, and it's just a fun ice-breaker.

I remember watching a video by an overlander who drove from the UK to China. He said bringing things like that drastically helped with boarder crossings to the point where he'd always bring a case of M&Ms to give to the kids at the boarder to watch his vehicle and to the guards for their kids.

Last edited:
I remember watching a video by an overlander who drove from the UK to China. He said bringing things like that drastically helped with boarder crossings to the point where he'd always bring a case of M&Ms to give to the kids at the boarder to watch his vehicle and to the guards for their kids.

That is absolutely true. I've traveled, lived and worked in many third world countries throughout my life, and little human connection points like that really do help. It instantly turns a regulatory exchange into a friendly one, and sometimes it's the difference between major hassles and skating through. Honestly, it's also just a better way to travel. Reaching out to locals is always a good thing and sometimes it's amazing where that can lead. I have made life-long connections with people all over the world with little more than initial gestures like that. Two of those friends from Ukraine just visited me again last week.

That is absolutely true. I've traveled, lived and worked in many third world countries throughout my life, and little human connection points like that really do help. It instantly turns a regulatory exchange into a friendly one, and sometimes it's the difference between major hassles and skating through. Honestly, it's also just a better way to travel. Reaching out to locals is always a good thing and sometimes it's amazing where that can lead. I have made life-long connections with people all over the world with little more than initial gestures like that. Two of those friends from Ukraine just visited me again last week.

Here's the video. I got my countries mixed up but same advice.

Here's the video. I got my countries mixed up but same advice.

Fantastic video. Spot on. Worked in Kabul Afghanistan when we were about to be removed from our car and scrutinized.

The other thing I've found over and over--especially in third world airports--is look like you belong, and confidently walk...and you can often walk right by barriers. I've done this more times than I can count.

Also, just asking a few harmless questions that let them know you understand how tough their job must be..
-Frustrations they likely deal with, etc. They appreciate it and it lets them know you're not just one more arrogant westerner who thinks he's above the rest of the world.

Also, just asking a few harmless questions that let them know you understand how tough their job must be..
-Frustrations they likely deal with, etc. They appreciate it and it lets them know you're not just one more arrogant westerner who thinks he's above the rest of the world.

The last border crossing we did was with the fam loaded up in the 100 going into Canada from the North Maine Woods and of course we hadn't seen people, period, for about a week. It had been rainy that day and we had been on trails for 7 days or so at that point. To sum it up the 100 was filthy. Of course the CBP agent asked if we had any foreign contaminants, soils etc on the undercarriage of the vehicle etc. as she looked back at the truck and turtleback trailer. I looked her right in the eye, read her face and said "Nope". She said, "thanks, have a nice day" handed the passports back and we motored on.

The wife looked at me and I said before she could even ask, "I gave her the answer she wanted to hear." Seriously who wants to go and scrutinize where mud came from in the middle of the pouring rain!

Relevant to thread: My 08 LX has no cooler box. The 16 LC does and it works surprisingly well. I would opt to have one in the LX also given the choice.

Last edited:
The last border crossing we did was with the fam loaded up in the 100 going into Canada from the North Maine Woods and of course we hadn't seen people, period, for about a week. It had been rainy that day and we had been on trails for 7 days or so at that point. To sum it up the 100 was filthy. Of course the CBP agent asked if we had any foreign contaminants, soils etc on the undercarriage of the vehicle etc. as she looked back at the truck and turtleback trailer. I looked her right in the eye, red her face and said "Nope". She said, "thanks, have a nice day" handed the passports back and we motored on.

The wife looked at me and I said before she could even ask, "I gave her the answer she wanted to hear." Seriously who wants to go and scrutinize where mud came from in the middle of the pouring rain!

Relevant to thread: My 08 LX has no cooler box. The 16 LC does and it works surprisingly well. I would opt to have one in the LX also given the choice.

I wonder if you and the OP could swap units?? Then your 08 and the OP would both be happy. :)

I like the cool box, but wish I could sacrifice it for a pistol lock box.

Researched it and actually even started to disassemble but got intimidated by the a/c unit. Didn't want to scramble the whole system, so I gave up.

Maybe when I run out of mods I will look into it again. Cap the lines?

Researched it and actually even started to disassemble but got intimidated by the a/c unit. Didn't want to scramble the whole system, so I gave up.

Can you just carry all the time instead of leaving it in the rig? Then just keep it open while driving. Castle doctrine them fools.

Can you just carry all the time instead of leaving it in the rig? Then just keep it open while driving. Castle doctrine them fools.

:clap:

I like full-sized pistols (Glock 20), but it is a pain for concealed carry. My carry is a snub .357, but honestly I don't even carry that often. I have a fairly stout pistol safe secured on the vehicle, but not as accessible as I would like. Would gladly rip out the cool box to have the safe up front for easy access.

Dealing with the A/C lines and making everything function and look nice with the larger storage is my concern as well. I'm guessing it would be much harder to add a cool box than to remove even though that is a pain too, otherwise, I would be very up for swapping units with someone.

You'd have to drain your 13 4am at a shop with a specialized machine (or do it dirty and "accidentally" remove the hose), probably have to replace your drier since it'll be contaminated, find something to cap the lines, refill, hope you didn't mess anything up, and still probably lose rear A/C.

Meh, not worth it to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom