Who makes this bumper? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wow, subscribed.

Subscribed

Subbed as well. Looks like this bumper is getting a lot of interest...

School me (us?) on materials science here... because I always thought using aluminum for applications such as bumpers, sliders, etc. was a zero-sum game - that steel was 3x the strength and 3x the weight of aluminum. So, to match the strength - compression/tension - of the steel, the aluminum would need to be 3x as thick... wiping out the weight savings. But - and it's a big but - I'm a marketing guy who struggled through every science (okay, and math, chemistry) class.

School me (us?) on materials science here... because I always thought using aluminum for applications such as bumpers, sliders, etc. was a zero-sum game - that steel was 3x the strength and 3x the weight of aluminum. So, to match the strength - compression/tension - of the steel, the aluminum would need to be 3x as thick... wiping out the weight savings. But - and it's a big but - I'm a marketing guy who struggled through every science (okay, and math, chemistry) class.
In the end, the alum is not as strong as steel. But for what most 95% of us do, it is perfect. A 3/16" steel bumper that weighs 160# can be remade with 1/4" alum for 80#, that's great especially if yours is a DD. Plus it won't ever rust, one less thing you have to touch up. It's ideal for people wanting to carry a winch without adding 200# to the front of their bumper. Also holds up great in animal strikes and basic accidents.

But keep in mind if your scraping over rocks all the time you'll probably want to go with steel. On tough rocks alum is more likely to dent and gouge.

In the end, the alum is not as strong as steel. But for what most 95% of us do, it is perfect. A 3/16" steel bumper that weighs 160# can be remade with 1/4" alum for 80#, that's great especially if yours is a DD. Plus it won't ever rust, one less thing you have to touch up. It's ideal for people wanting to carry a winch without adding 200# to the front of their bumper. Also holds up great in animal strikes and basic accidents.

But keep in mind if your scraping over rocks all the time you'll probably want to go with steel. On tough rocks alum is more likely to dent and gouge.

But in between 12,000# winch and 6,000# Land Cruiser is that 80# bumper - it has to match the strength of the steel... right?

But in between 12,000# winch and 6,000# Land Cruiser is that 80# bumper - it has to match the strength of the steel... right?
Yes, a boxed winch plate made out of alum will be just as strong as a steel one. At least to the point that we care about. The concerning strength aspect of alum bumpers is when hitting/dragging on rocks.

Check out aluminess bumpers (Aluminum Winch Bumpers, Roof Racks, Tire Carriers | Aluminess), they've been making aluminum bumpers for a long time, most for full size American trucks and vans. I have a buddy that runs one on his dodge 1 ton with a 15k winch. It's his ranch truck and he's made many pulls when buried to the frame rails in mud. No deflection or damage.

The last thing I'm concerned about on an aluminum bumper is the winch plate, as long as it was designed/built correctly.

The winch tray will have to be steel, regular alum won't handle that.
As long as built correctly it most certainly can.

As long as built correctly it most certainly can.

Aluminess has been making full aluminum bumpers for the past 10-15 years. They are strong as HELL and 1/2 the weight.. Price is pretty darn reasonable as well... I've seen many in action in the field and was quite impressed.

They don't make one for the LC yet, but its in the works from what I'm understanding. The FJC front winch bumper only weighs like 60# and can handle a 10-12K winch and a full pull easily. Got to see one at Barnwell Mountian a few years back.

J

I'm in for my '98 if you build a few.
I had some Aluminess products on my old van build, would love having some aluminum on the front of my 100. My rubbermaid is losing plastic pieces anyway. Nice work.

Did a search on thread for tow points, no dice.

Are there any tow points currently on the bumper?

If not, can tow points be added as an option?

Thanks in advance!

I'm in the market for a front bumper, so I'm interested.
Any idea of the price $$$$ ???

Excited for more details. Scared of what I think the price is going to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom