Show Off Your "Flat" or "Low Gloss" Paint Jobs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's my 72 with flat black and khaki.

image-597891056.jpg
image-597891056.jpg

the color is called Gulf, the gloss level is Satin, it's a cheesy company name but I've been happy with the paint although I was going for a little darker look.

Thanks for posting up the info on that paint. I was just looking at their color charts and comparing the color you used, Gulf, and the color chart of that color looks much darker on the chart than how your 40 turned out. I know its hard to tell from pictures on a monitor but is that why you said "I was going for a darker look"?

Just wondering if their chart does not exactly match the paint color.

Rear half (rockers back) painted with Cruiser Corps freeborn red rattle can, front half not painted yet. Doors are not painted yet either. I like the rattle can FR as it is not glossy, but not completely flat. Maybe a semi-gloss. I'm slowly working my way around the rest of the rig.

402.jpg

hardtop016.jpg

green

anybody out there with a green rattlecan 40

Jefishing: would you post more pics of your rig plz?

Sno Dawg said:
anybody out there with a green rattlecan 40

GM green. Touch up cans from the auto store. The PO did it with 6 or 7 cans. About $50 worth.
image-1639485309.jpg

flat od

here are some i owned a few years ago at 25.00 bucks a gallon od paint was a bargain.
000_1165.jpg
08-31-2010 08;40;15AM.jpg

PO painted this with tinted bed liner - love it.

HFS_installed.jpg

i love flat and semi gloss paints. they're more utilitarian looking, just like cruisers. i've done a lot of rattlecanning throughout the 20+ years i've had cruisers. finally moving into real paint just because i want a bit more durability and control painting, but spraybombs can look good with a lot of work. i don't like dark colors however. cruisers like to show off their lines. i think that's why a lot of folks love the beige/tans....they look great flat and they're bright. i did black once, wouldn't do it again.

my tips. prep the crap out of stuff. use a good primer. often, using a primer of the same brand of paint is better (although most paints/primers get along, some don't). get a trigger handle, it will save your fingers. plan on a case, so you get a thick coat. don't go for full coverage, just spatter it on thinly and go over it again, and again, and again...keeps runs down and helps with smoothness. sand LIGHTLY between full coatings. You will never put too many layers on. for big names, i prefer krylon over rustoluem, a lot of rustoleum paints don't cure quickly. expect to do it again in a year or so if you want to keep it looking good, a lot of bombcan paints don't hold up well to uv paints...they hold up worse if you try to put spraybomb clear coat over them.
P7210003.JPG
PB150006.jpg
DSC00074.jpg

Rustoleum - Painters Touch spray can. Satin Fossil. ("Fossil" is the color)

I really like the color. It has gotten a bit lighter and less glossy over the last year and a half though, but I don't know if you can do much better with a spray can. It is quite a bit more durable than I expected and hasn't flaked or pealed at all.

Glad I rattle-canned it, the rig looks much better than before.

B.

Bezel

Sand

Black primer

Bed liner in a can

Work really well

It's textured paint like a rhino lining
Comes lean after a little soap and water.
But if you want a fresh look real easy to re spray.
image-2718531064.jpg
image-1179513239.jpg
image-4265041426.jpg

Still under construction, but should be street legal in a few weeks. Gloss black speedliner w/ kevlar, entire underside, firewall, inside of tub and 10" up rocker panels. Mustard yellow w/ clearcoat.
I know this is a while back but mind telling me what brand/color you used?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom