Builds Project Patina-November 1968 FJ-40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lots accomplished this weekend and Nolen is much closer than he was before anyone showed up on Saturday.

Great work Team CLC. :clap:

More work to go of course and Nolen and I will both be addressing some issues that cropped during the weekend.

Big thanks to @Poser for taking a call today to discuss some parts differentiations. Always a pile of knowledge and a giving individual.

On the road back. Thanks to Nolen and Julie for the hospitality.

:cheers:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Safe travels. Good to see you.

No way. I'm gonna find a way to age the fender lights. Bib lights are right.

Lots to document here for those that want to do this swap.

We told you about the motor mounts.

We have a drivers side mount (front of motor) that is universal. F and 2F. Same bolt size same pattern.

The passenger side.

The F has the same mount both sides. The 2F that I have from and AC truck had a huge motor mount with AC bracket.

We used the F passenger bracket and he holes needed to be bored out on the bracket to 12mm (2 buckets did a fantastic job.

In the end though, the mount holes in the frame were about 2" too narrow.

We took a carbide bit and elongated the hole to fit.

Carbide bit for the win.

Huge PITA but would have been a snap if we had known before.

Documenting if anyone searches Putting a 2F in a F Cruiser ....

See pics above.

BTW we used the modern rectangular motor mounts. Either would work.

Second thing.

Fan. Radiator. Etc.

This motor has a fan clutch and a big ass plastic fan.

The fan I used was one out of an 80 I parted out. It's the same size as the 60 one that came with the motor minus the ribs on the blades and it is clean. The other was stained and ugly.

We fit the motor in. Installed the blade. But the radiator cradle in the truck. And slid the brand new OEM radiator in and proceeded to bend the fins all the down the new radiator until we realized it was too close.

So. We pulled it all back out and repeated what we did for the motor mounts. We elongated the holes in the radiator support mount to slide it all away from the motor.

image.jpeg

Photos by Beno

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I even had to notch out the drivers side frame support some to be able to slide the radiator support forward enough to clear the fan.

image.jpeg

As we said before, Beno took a bit off my fan just to be safe.

Seriously. We were totally winging it.

Not Cameron....I am pretending like I'm winging it but real winging it.

He got drunk before noon and crashes it as we pulled it out of the shop.

You should have heard him smacking that brake pedal with no brakes

Bam bam bam

Good thing there was a tractor blocking the fence.

Intake manifold. Ugh.

My buddy @RustyNailJustin sent me an FJ60 intake manifold but it has a broken ear.

Rob told me he had a good one that did not need welding and had no EGR ports at DNPs shop.

I jumped on it. Got it super clean. Went to bolt it up and fuuuuuuuuck it an F manifold with 10mm bolt holes, not 12mm.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I wonder if I could frost the new fender light glass with the blaster? That'd probably make it match the bib lights. See I thought you were replacing all light glass; knew everything else was new, so thought you should at least get new bib light lenses.

I'm thinking after a bit of frosting, we could do a forced patina, where we soaked steel wool in vinegar for a few days, then rubbed the corroded wool all over the lenses and brackets to age them. Works that way in carpentry....

For forced patina on metal, try coating a sample piece in Dijon mustard for a day. Wipe off and see if it works. If it's not to your liking, repeat the process until you get the desired look. I've done this with knives with great success.

Practice safe Cruiser mods; use a condiment.

Last edited:
Yes, i wrecked a car without a motor. I'm special and stuff.

He said "hop in and steer"; i thought he just was going to pull patina out of the garage and wanted me to keep it straight. Instead he yanked me out of the garage at mach 2 apparently thinking i would telepathically understand that he really wanted me to whip it hard left (reverse) and thread the needle between 2 bucket's fat amy and his dad's parked tractor. Not understanding my instructions and not wanting to hit andrew's tricked out rig, i opted for straight which resulted in a nice, firm collision with the the parked tractor. He called me names. I laughed.

Last edited:
Amy is grateful, Patrick.

We started on the front axle and ran into too many problems to finish.

Calipers. Toast. Inner axle. Leaking. Killed seal and
The other was junky

But. The wire wheel shire made it look good in there.

Cleaned and painted everywhere you can't see :)

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Lou is so cool he wears shades to grind

image.jpeg

We have about 1 million axle seals...

Yeah we dove into that project unprepared. My fault. I had a gasket kit not a seal and gasket kit.

It's cool. It's coming.

I ordered this s*** last night.

It's expensive but it's the touches like this that make this build cool.

image.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom