Annual Ouray camping trip Aug 3rd - 7th, 2016 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok, let me check to see. I want to say 3C, but let me confirm. Also, is it even possible to change my handle. I looked be didn't see a way to do it.

I think you can change your handle but I"m not sure how. Send an PM to woody and see what he says. Woody is the owner of this site.

With 3 posts... make a new one ;)

Ok, let me check to see. I want to say 3C, but let me confirm. Also, is it even possible to change my handle. I looked be didn't see a way to do it.

Don't do that. Woody doesn't like multiple aliases.
I could see that, but who can delete his old one for him if he wants to move on? I thought way back when it congressional approval to change a name. shrug.

Scott, do what pappy says, everyone is happier when pappy is happy...

I'm not the issue. Woody is. Just give him a jingle. He can tell you what's up with changing aliases.

Hello, all. I got in touch with Ali over at the toyota-4runner.org forums and he graciously invited me and my family on this trip. We'll be heading up a little early, getting there on the 2nd, and staying through the 4th. We would like to hit the trails with all of you in our 4runner, but since we're have to leave early that might not happen. However, we would at the very least like to head over and say hi and if a short trail run is happening on the 3rd we would be in.

Looking forward to it!

Hello, all. I got in touch with Ali over at the toyota-4runner.org forums and he graciously invited me and my family on this trip.
Welcome to our slice of MUD. Sorry your first impression of us was Ali. :cheers:

Welcome to our slice of MUD. Sorry your first impression of us was Ali. :cheers:

HEY now, it's better that he met me and NOT you :flipoff2:

List of attendees and their site #. Please let me know if I have the wrong site # for you.

Ali x 3 #8
Scott x 4 #11
Larry x3 #14
Franklin x 3 #6
Justin x 2 #7
Steve x 1 #7
Ron x 4 #5
Todd x 3 #9
Adams x 4 #2
Avail #1 (Joe might cancel)
Avail #4 (elec only, avail 8/4, 8/5, 8/6)

Grant (Rugger92) x 3.25 hotel

Did I miss anyone?

Last edited:
New tent is showing up tomorrow just in time for the trip :D

Figured it's time to discuss some stuff. Weather in the San Juans is unpredictable so plan accordingly. We'll be in the vehicles anywhere from five to eight hours so bring along plenty of food, drinks, clothes, etc. Please plan for two meals on the trails just in case we get caught in weather or vehicle issues. Yes, pack your warm jackets and layer up if we get rained on and temp drops up top.

I don't think we'll need to worry about recovery gear too much on these types of trails but you MUST have the means of airing up at the end of the trails. It goes w/o saying, bring an air deflator of some sort and a decent air pressure gauge. Don't forget a good spare tire just in case. Oh, please calibrate your brand spanking new deflator at home!

The air can be very thin up there and altitude sickness for the young ones can happen. Proper hydration and minimizing physical exertion for the first 24 hours is a must for people coming from the Midwest. ;)

Vehicle line up at the campground by 8:30, depart by 9am. Please grab coffee, fuel up, etc before lining up. If the day is going to be a short day, we can drag our feet but for the long trail days, we need to depart on time.

Please bring some fire wood for camp fires and s'mores. This is bear country so all food must be packed back inside the vehicles, NOT in your tents or left out on the picnic tables! This includes all smell good stuff like deodorent, tooth paste, chocolate, jerky, etc.

Trail comms: as usual, we'll be using 2 meter HAM radios, freq 146.460 or 146.400. If you don't have one, pick up a Baefong unit from Amazon for $40. These radios get great reviews online and easy to use. Club members can help you program the freqs into your radio.

Ok, let's get to the good stuff. Here are some trail ideas for us to ponder over. All trail and trail #s are from Charles Wells book "Guide to CO backroads & 4Wheel Drive trails - Third edition".

Please note that the group can break up and take different trails as they wish, preferably two rigs at a min per trail for safety.

Thurs - Red Mountain Mining trail/Porphyry trail to Bullion King lake

From Ouray, start the Red Mountain Mining trail (#12), come out on 550, then jump on to the Porphyry Gulch (#6). End of the trail is a short hike to the Bullion King lake and waterfall. This would be a good place to eat lunch. Return to 550 then we have two options:
1) air up and hwy back to Ouray
2) re-enter Red Mountain Mining Trail (#12) and follow it to near Silverton. In Silverton, we have two options:
1)air up and hwy back to Ouray
2)check out Silverton, grab food, etc. Silverton has a gas station with a strong air comp for airing back up.​

Fri - Black Bear Pass to Telluride/Ophir Pass

If the weather holds, I'd like to do this trail on Fri in order to miss the weekend traffic. If there is ANY hint of rain up top, we will not be running this trail. Yes, been there, done that and didn't really like it a whole bunch!

From Ouray, take 550 South 13 miles to Black Bear Road, just after the summit of Red Mountain pass, air down and head to Telluride. At Telluride we eat lunch, then we have four options:

1)leave Telluride, head toward Ophir and take Ophir pass #7 back to 550 (near Silverton), air up and head to Ouray
2)air up in Telluride, take the hwys back to Ouray
3)jump on the Imogene pass trail from Telluride and take that back to 550 (near Ouray). This WILL be a long day.
4)take the Last Dollar road back to Ouray. Easy, scenic dirt road.
Sat - Mineral Creek/Engineer pass to Lake City

Air down at camp, jump on the Mineral creek trail (#9) few miles south of town. This trail will meet up with the Engineer Pass (#14). This is part of the Alpine loop, which will take us to Lake City. From Lake City, take Cinnamon pass to Silverton. Air up at the gas station then head back to camp on 550. This *could* be a long day so plan accordingly.

Sun - head home :crybaby:

Last edited:
Cool, good planning notes Ash, one thing to add. Friday back from Telluride, Last Dollar Road is somewhere between Ophir and highway for difficultly (think stocker dirt road with scenery)... just another option, I've done that road a few times.

I'm sure we will be in for at least one day of wheeling, maybe two... with hot springs and local stuff otherwise. The Fam has requested not doing 3 days in the rig, so we won't make all of them. I'm guessing I won't get the moto up there either, tough sell to ride it all the way up there for a day of play, and weather is more of a factor.

we are looking forward to it!

Good idea John, I'll add that as an option too.

I'll be bouncing around up there the whole week Monday through Friday. What time Wednesday you guys plan on getting in?

Some of my brothers friends are coming in from Houston (One has 200 series) on Thursday. They might come to Farmington I'll show them around wheeling here, if anyone wants to come down and wheel hard, your welcome too. I'll be back up in the mountains on Thursday night. Wheeling Friday, and back home to work on Saturday morning.

G

Hello, all. I got in touch with Ali over at the toyota-4runner.org forums and he graciously invited me and my family on this trip. We'll be heading up a little early, getting there on the 2nd, and staying through the 4th. We would like to hit the trails with all of you in our 4runner, but since we're have to leave early that might not happen. However, we would at the very least like to head over and say hi and if a short trail run is happening on the 3rd we would be in.

Looking forward to it!
I'm down for a trail run on the 3rd. I'm coming from Kansas, so I'll be battling the altitude! -Scott

We might do Friday and/or Saturday. Is my rig doable over Immogene Pass? Or is it too big?

Yup, shouldn't be an issue. I've seen larger rigs than yours on Black Bear pass as well.

You want mine? I reserved 4 in front of the office. I'm not going to make it after all.
NOOOO!!!! I was looking forward to picking your plant brain!

List of attendees and their site #. Please let me know if I have the wrong site # for you.

Ali x 3 #8
Scott x 4 #11
Larry x3 #14
Franklin x 3 #6
Justin+Steve #7
Ron x 4 #5
Todd x 3 #9
Adams x 4 #2
Avail #1 (Joe might cancel)
Avail #4 (elec only, avail 8/4, 8/5, 8/6)

Grant (Rugger92) x 3.25 hotel

Did I miss anyone?

SO, Stacey will be joining us... along with a new bouncybouncy....
tw.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom