Winter Camping – where to go? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

swhme

SILVER Star
Threads
As the nights get colder and colder, winter is definitely coming back. Any suggestions on spots to go camping in December-February where the temperature stays above ~20 at night and gets up to the high 50s (or more) consistently during the day?

Doing Big Bend in March, and Mazatlan in April for the eclipse.

Cruces area? I want to check out the Organ Mountains.

You are selling your Rivian? Would love to see how it's built and curious why you're selling (not that I could afford it)

It’s a great truck, but I have too many vehicles, and I want to do a big build on my 200, so I just can’t justify it. And the range works for locations with lots of charger infrastructure (the San Juans) but I’m ending up stressed while I’m in the Jemez, and getting into places like big bend is really challenging. That said, electric overlanding is fantastic, and will get better over the next 5 years. This won’t be my last R1T.

We’re going to get an R1S, which will be my wife’s daily driver and our road trip mobile.

Lots of places in southern Arizona, the further south the better.

Also interested, the fiancé and I will be trying to camp as much as possible , tent camping (RTT was moved to the Land Cruiser) so we will be ground tenting often . It would be cool if we could compile a list of 5-10 places that are within a 6 hour drive of central NM!!

So I went to Patagonia, AZ last weekend and it was an utter blast. The temperatures were pretty lovely during the day with dips hitting 30s and '40s at night. Might have to return there again shortly, because the gravel and MTB riding there is off the hook.

I spent one night in the cosmic campground which is sort of halfway in between both places, and that is also a place worthwhile to visit. Particularly if you're into stargazing at night, make sure you take your telescope with you.

So I went to Patagonia, AZ last weekend and it was an utter blast. The temperatures were pretty lovely during the day with dips hitting 30s and '40s at night. Might have to return there again shortly, because the gravel and MTB riding there is off the hook.

I spent one night in the cosmic campground which is sort of halfway in between both places, and that is also a place worthwhile to visit. Particularly if you're into stargazing at night, make sure you take your telescope with you.

Fantastic! I’m in Patagonia, Chile at the moment, but will check out the one in Arizona when I get back 😂

I need to explore that corner of the state. I didn't realize I hadn't been down there until you brought it up. That, and the adjacent corner of Arizona, mostly the Chiricahuas. There is a Yucca down there I want to find, and maybe collect some seed to grow.

I would love to aim for that mtn range on a trip vs going to other places.

Fantastic! I’m in Patagonia, Chile at the moment, but will check out the one in Arizona when I get back 😂
Unless your Land cruiser is with you, this trip does not count. 🖕🏽

Unless your Land cruiser is with you, this trip does not count. 🖕🏽
It does not, but I’m scouting for a panam run in a few years 😄

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom