Impending Vortec Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A couple of things I am doing as I go.

1) cost spreadsheet (already spent $4300!!) and only got motor, tranny and adapter kit Vortec Swap Costs - Google Sheets

2) If you can make sense of my notes or even want to, I've been compiling notes as I go through threads and find resources. That way I don't have to say to myself, "I remember reading this..." and then spend hours digging through info. Vortec Swap Links

Hope these help.

First shipment has come in. Still 3-4 weeks for the motor to show up along with the adapter kit from Mark's. Our exchange rate to the aussie dollar rules right now. (Hat tip UTkruzer )

I got the summit headers opposed to the already painted Hooker headers. $40 cheaper and that is after buying the can of vht flameproof spray paint. It was a blistery 60 degs in denver today, so ill have to find another nice day to get the headers painted.

Getting excited!!!

1) cost spreadsheet (already spent $4300!!) and only got motor, tranny and adapter kit Vortec Swap Costs - Google Sheets

2) If you can make sense of my notes or even want to, I've been compiling notes as I go through threads and find resources. That way I don't have to say to myself, "I remember reading this..." and then spend hours digging through info. Vortec Swap Links

Hope these help.

I love spreadsheets but you spelled "asmblee" incorrectly :hillbilly:

I love spreadsheets but you spelled "asmblee" incorrectly :hillbilly:

Are you a descendent of William Strunk or EB White? I'm new to this whole 'mud' thing....:flipoff2:

Carry on....:)

motor shows up this week sometime. So...other than a big box of parts sitting in my entry way, no headway.

I hear that! So far I've ordered FSM's for donor vehicle, and my 80, my roof rack from Prinsu designs, I'm going to order my 4L60e>HF2a adapter tonight not sure who I will go with... Price wise everyone is about the same price it seems... And then it's time to do a s*** ton more wiring research... Found out today that the envoy I bought as a donor has "power on demand" need to do some research on that lil monster and make sure it's just ECU programming and nothing mechanical...

Hope these help.

YUP, this is why I always laugh when people call me and want to do a "V8 swap" and think "there is no way it could cost more than $5k" and they want someone else to do it! LOL......

Well, my date finally showed up for the ball. No judging on my tow vehicle....

IMG_20160328_204346.jpg

Well, my date finally showed up for the ball. No judging on my tow vehicle....

View attachment 1232715
Hell I'll be using a dodge neon to do the same thing...

How much snow did y'all get last week? The company I work for has a repair facility at the coors plant and they closed down Thursday because of the snow...

Last edited:
Hell I'll be using a dodge neon to do the same thing...

How much snow did y'all get last week? The company I work for has a repair facility at the coors plant and they closed down Thursday because of the snow...

I live about 1.5 miles from coors. I had a good 18" on the ground when all was said and done, but it melted super fast! The below pic is of my patio out back, and was taken at 11:30 am. It snowed until 4 pm!

IMG_20160323_113456.jpg

Hopefully tonight I can sort through everything and make sure everything got shipped and strip down the electrical. I bought the motor from Genesis in Waco, TX. They've been ok to work with, I had to spend some time in South America and that got translated to, "We'll put the vehicle on the sideline and then put you back in line to pull the motor when you get back." They did have the flooding and what not down there.... But, as long as the motor is clean and runs like a champ, that will all be a blip on the radar.

I live about 1.5 miles from coors. I had a good 18" on the ground when all was said and done, but it melted super fast! The below pic is of my patio out back, and was taken at 11:30 am. It snowed until 4 pm!
Hopefully tonight I can sort through everything and make sure everything got shipped and strip down the electrical. I bought the motor from Genesis in Waco, TX. They've been ok to work with, I had to spend some time in South America and that got translated to, "We'll put the vehicle on the sideline and then put you back in line to pull the motor when you get back." They did have the flooding and what not down there.... But, as long as the motor is clean and runs like a champ, that will all be a blip on the radar.

I work for GBW Railcar services, we repair rail cars for coors and several other companies out there and in 37 other places nation wide. I've been waiting on a position to open up out there in Golden, but they never have any openings at that facility... Lol

I work for GBW Railcar services, we repair rail cars for coors and several other companies out there and in 37 other places nation wide. I've been waiting on a position to open up out there in Golden, but they never have any openings at that facility... Lol
I know a guy just retired from the accounting dept a few months ago

trying to figure out the fuel lines. I was planning on going with the high dollar Russell lines and fittings. Just having trouble figuring out what to order. I already have the supra pump to drop into the tank...

Planning on the following:
*-6AN Proflex (stainless) hose
*corvette filter. I am getting this kit which has the "push on" fittings included.
*5/16 push on fittings (x2) for the fuel rails?
*What is needed on the toyota end at the pump, 3/8 and 5/16?
*with one line coming off the fuel filter/regulator, how to handle 2 inlets ?
*full flow hose fittings, any need for 90's or 45's anywhere?

Thanks for the help guys!

trying to figure out the fuel lines. I was planning on going with the high dollar Russell lines and fittings. Just having trouble figuring out what to order. I already have the supra pump to drop into the tank...

Planning on the following:
*-6AN Proflex (stainless) hose
*corvette filter. I am getting this kit which has the "push on" fittings included.
*5/16 push on fittings (x2) for the fuel rails?
*What is needed on the toyota end at the pump, 3/8 and 5/16?
*with one line coming off the fuel filter/regulator, how to handle 2 inlets ?
*full flow hose fittings, any need for 90's or 45's anywhere?

Thanks for the help guys!
are you going to put this info in your spread sheet once you decide, and where you got them? Been working a s***e ton of hours and haven't had the time to figure all that out... And figured I'd hijack your idea if you post it up...

Yes, I'll put in everything I order. I'm looking at going with the Russell push on fittings, but will most like source hose and JIC fittings to save a little cash.

Got a few things done tonight before it started snowing. Stripped the harness off. Split the tranny from the motor. And got the tranny all tore down. It looks to actually be in fantastic shape. I'm not seeing clutch material anywhere in the oil, no wear on any of the components. I kind of wonder if the tranny has been re-built, I did remove a plate that said "transgo" and the valve gasket looks to be new and not 11 years and 90k miles old??? One thing that has me concerned is the carrier assembly has some damage on it? In my 3rd picture, bottom and to the right, you can see 2 chipped grooves? Something I need to worry about?

Reality did hit me, I might be in over my head...I've got to make some decisions, but I'll slip the reluctor ring on tomorrow and refurb most of the tranny. I might skip the 4th clutch assembly...

IMG_20160329_194336.jpg

20160331_173759.jpg

20160331_224458.jpg

The chipped grooves don't look like much to worry about to me, but I'm just a shade tree mechanic. I would say if you didn't find the pieces inside the tranny than it might have been rebuilt like you thought, and that the pieces were damaged during rebuild or prior to the rebuild... Everything looks pretty solid in the pictures to me... My donor vehicle will be here on Sunday... Woo Ho I can't wait to start tearing into it!!

Dang, most of us are afraid to go inside a tranny and here you guys are diving right in and rebuilding them, wow!!!

Dang, most of us are afraid to go inside a tranny and here you guys are diving right in and rebuilding them, wow!!!
If you have ever rebuilt a motor you have the skills and knowledge to do a tranny... Might just need a few special tools and a service manual for said tranny. IMHO an auto trains is simpler than a motor build, UNTIL you get to the valve body... That's where it can get difficult...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom