JDM engine swap (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 97 LC with an engine that may need swapped out. If I were to source a JDM spec motor from landcruiser heaven would it be a simple “one for one” swap or would I run into wiring harness and electrical readout issues since the JDM spec motor does not have an ERG ?

I have a 97 LC with an engine that may need swapped out. If I were to source a JDM spec motor from landcruiser heaven would it be a simple “one for one” swap or would I run into wiring harness and electrical readout issues since the JDM spec motor does not have an ERG ?
Having done a few swaps back in the day into my Civics we used to strip the JDM motor down to the bare minimum and take anything off the USDM motor and install it on the JDM motor.

Why would you use a Jdm motor? Lower miles?

Why would you use a Jdm motor? Lower miles?
Price. Unless there are major red flags to using JDM motors. Landcruiser heaven has JDM’s for $3,600 and under 275k.

My 1FZFE started knocking real bad back in spring. I parked it and haven’t started trouble shooting or taking it apart yet due to job situation. Now that my job is lined out and I have some time to try to diagnose it I’m just trying to think ahead on my options if I get into it and find something major that would warrant an engine change out.

JDM
Rebuild
V8 swap
Etc

Ok sounds like you’re on the right path with diagnosis before throwing parts at it. That doesn’t seem like a very good deal for a 275k mile engine! With that many miles you would want to do the head gasket at a minimum and have the head rebuilt. Then check the bottom end for bearing wear and cylinders for any wear markings. You could search around on here in the classifieds of your local market for a used motor but again you’re rolling the dice without tearing it down and inspecting. Engines are not that crazy to ship price wise if you find a good one $5-700 usually for an engine on a pallet. That’s how I ship the 1fzfe engines I rebuild. Or rebuild it yourself and have the piece of mind knowing it will last another 250k.

Price. Unless there are major red flags to using JDM motors. Landcruiser heaven has JDM’s for $3,600 and under 275k.

My 1FZFE started knocking real bad back in spring. I parked it and haven’t started trouble shooting or taking it apart yet due to job situation. Now that my job is lined out and I have some time to try to diagnose it I’m just trying to think ahead on my options if I get into it and find something major that would warrant an engine change out.

JDM
Rebuild
V8 swap
Etc

$3600 for a used 1FZ long block with anything approaching 275K miles is insane stupid money.

When I've purchased JDM Toyota engines they had less than 100,000 km on them and finding a US version was near impossible. I basically had no choice. Not sure why a JDM 1FZFE engine would be an option when so many of them are available here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom