Best on board air, Tank or compressor? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I recently purchased a 10lb Powertank and I couldn't be happier.

I ran compressors before and just hated them. They take forever...run hot..use lots of power. But there are very good high volume compressors out there.

But with Co2, you just hook it up, push the lever, and with near silence the tire is quickly aired up. All four in a matter of minutes. If you air down regularly, and value your time, this set up is really nice.

The other thing that sold me with the ability to reseat a bead on a tire without lighter fluid. Plus high pressure air as other uses.

There's a video on powertank's website: http://www.powertank.com/

Powertank isn't the only name in town. There are much cheaper ways of running CO2 set ups. I went with Powertank mainly because I wanted a new tank, and their very nice regulator, and hose guage set up. It was worth it to me.

Fills up cost between $10-15.

I also bought one of these to air down. It does work pretty fast, but you can only do on tire at a time, which sucks. http://www.extremeoutback.com/index.cgi?pid=119

If I were to do that over again, I'd probably go with a set of Staun Tire Deflators, as they are probably faster.

One disadvantage with the CO2 tanks is that you have a limited air supply, whereas with pumps, you're unlimited. I use my ARB air locker compressor as a back up.

Here's my set up:

http://www.brian894x4.com/images/ExpeditionLCinterior037.JPG

the best is an engine driven 10cfm york with a 3 gallon tank IMOP,

co2 is easy and fast but comes in second for me cause you have to store it and refill it.

I think for an expedition style rig a compressor with 100% duty cycle is best. A belt driven york has massive output and can also reseat a bead. I have an extremeaire and I love it. 4cfm and 100% duty cylce. As long as my engine is running and my electrical system is working my compressor will work and will outrun CO2. Meaning CO2 will run out of air. It also takes up more valuble storage space than a compressor.

Can a compressor with an air reserve tank reseat a bead?

I have a ViAir compressor for longer trips, and it works great. I also have a 20lb. CO2 tank for shorter stuff, running air tools, etc.

Both have their place, but if I only could have one...dunno...CO2 is very convenient, and if you're not planning on doing anything over about 2 weeks in length, it would be fine.

I believe Beowulf had his CO2 tank regulator blow off valve activate inside his vehicle, so I like to mount my CO2 tanks on the outside...I'd hate to replace several windows, or have my daughter in the truck when that happened....a rare occurance though....

-H-

I love CO2!

I have two 20lb bottles, one for wheeling, and the other on my MIG cart. The volume you can carry is amazing, usually I get through an entire wheeling season with about 15 trail runs filling up my 35's from 12 to 32psi. I sweep the shop out with it, fill up bike tires, rafts, and run an ocassional air tool.

All in all, it is a very versitle setup.

One thing I would change is I would use a smaller tank in the 40, there just isn't a lot of places to mount a 20lb bottle in there.

Drew

If your plans include a winch and custom bumper, I'd consider the Warn Powerplant. It pumps 12 cfm at 0psi and 5 cfm at 90 psi!

I started with a 20lb CO2 tanks and used it a ton and it lasted forever. What I didn't like was the difficulty of knowing when you were close to the end. I don't know of a good time to run out. The other thing I didn't like was the size of the 20lb tank, its sort of big in the 40 or behind the 3rd seat of the 80. I then switched to two 5lb CO2 tanks. They are smaller than the 20lb tank, and I know exactly when the glass is half full.... I switch to my backup tank. I looked at a Powertank, but I can't fill it here in my hometown, so I just have two generic tanks.

I agree with the York comment. That's what I have and extremely pleased with it. Also, it's easier to share free air than CO2.

We run a c02 tank because we want to keep everything under the hood as reliable and as close to stock as possible. The only problem with running c02 is the possibility of running out. We run a 10lbs bottle and have done just fine with this size. However having a 20lbs tank would be better. Otherwise i'd go with a York.

york is the way to go. I have a york. Puts out a lot of air.

The warn powerplant will consume a lot of amps running. 12 cfm at 0 psi is a silly number, what exactly would you be using it for at 0 psi, A fan?

2 ,20lbs tanks for me also , only carry one when on the trail , as for it running out just weigh the tank full and weigh it empty . will give you some kind of idea

my tanks approximately weigh 47lb full and 26lb empty so if you have anything over 26 lbs you will kinda have a rough estimate on how much is left

I'd go for a dedicated compressor. If you're really out in the sticks and need to use that air for other things, forget the bottle. I mean, if it's for an expedition wheeler, what would you do go down and get a refill?

I'm fabbing mine from a reman York (10 CI) and a 4.5HP winch motor. The shafts will be connected with a modified spider coupling.

When complete, I expect this setup will produce about 8CFM @ 125PSI.

Should be the best of both worlds.

York, nothing performs like it. Way better to do the up front work to squeeze it in and run it. Pretty common pump to find.

I have that and CO2. Use the CO2 for the non-york trucks and can move it around the trucks. Working toward getting Yorks in everything though. :D

Space constriants are always a big deal for me. Compressor type...lots of options and all either in engine bay or some other out of the way location. Refill issue? Would want to top up at each outing, bit of a hastle.

ARB lockers? would really hate to run out of air at a nasty moment having refilled one too many tires or blow-up dolls!

I have a FINI compressor/pump which is permanently mounted in the back of my truck.Strong enough to reseat a bead and doesn't quit in extreme heat etc.Tanks are not practical in the bush;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom