1FZ power steering pump replacement... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiserdan

SupportingVendor Emeritus
Threads
Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
I have supplied several power steering pumps to board members over the last few years but I do not recall any of them detailing the actual replacement.

Mine has been seeping out the back cover for some time now and I decided that I wanted to replace it in preparation for our annual trip to Cruise Moab.

I respectfully submit my observations regarding this job:

Preparation:
Have on hand a new pump, body o-ring, high pressure gaskets and a quart of PS fluid.
In addition, a well-stocked tool box with metric tools, torque wrenches and a gear puller is a must.

I started by removing the high-pressure line banjo-bolt. This requires a 22mm socket, a wobbly and enough extensions to get your ratchet/breaker bar hooked up so that you clear the battery box.
In my case the high pressure port broke loose from the pump body before the banjo bolt let go and as a result I had to head back to the tool box. I selected a 13/16 open-end wrench and fitted it to the high pressure port so that I could hold it in place as I broke the banjo-bolt loose. After I removed the banjo-bolt I removed the return hose that goes from the reservoir to the pump outlet. I used Vicegrips to compress the clamps that retain the hose.
The next step involves removing the nuts (2) that retain the pump. I used a 14mm socket and a long breaker-bar to break the nuts loose. I got the lower one from under the vehicle and the upper one from the engine compartment. I then removed the nuts.

The pump comes out from under the vehicle. Once is has beeen removed it is necessary to remove the gear from the pump shaft. I used a 17mm socket and an impact wrench to remove the nut. I then used a two jaw puller to remove the gear from the pump shaft. I ended up using my impact wrench to rattle the puller enough to pop the gear off.
After the gear was removed I transfered the gear and key to the new pump. I used my impact wrench to install the nut on the shaft (torque spec 54lbft). I then installed a new o-ring to the pump body and re-installed the pump from under the vehicle.

The pump attaching nuts are torqued to 27lbft. At this point I reinstalled the return hose from the reservoir to the pump and I added some fluid until it started to come out of the high-pressure port and the hose. At that point I reinstalled the highpressure line with a new gasket.
I then torqued the banjo bolt to 54lbft and added enough fluid to get close to the line.
Next step is to start the engine and check for leaks. Turn the wheel side-to-side several times to bleed air out and heat the system. Add fluid to the correct level and congratulate yourself on a job well done.......

D-

EDIT NOTE:

The 17mm nut retaining the pump gear requires a 12 point socket.

I held the gear with a gloved hand (very heavy leather) when I rattled the nut off and on. It is possible to put the gear in a soft-jawed vice and use a breaker bar but I prefer not to subject the teeth to that stress. The impact makes quick work of the nut. It would be impossible to hold the gear by hand and remove the nut with a hand wrench.

Last edited:
Nice write-up dan, appreciate it. ...............Right-click, bookmark....... :grinpimp:

Hey Dan, I bet you it was fun getting all that air out of power steering system, huh? :) . My dad and I just replaced the power steering pump and the whole power steering gear box unit. Something I learned today, don't be cheap and spend the $35.00 for the pittman arm removal tool, cuz that bi@th is not coming out for nothing-don't waste your time and effort! :D

Another 60 posts like that Dan and nobody is going to need the FSM. Better watch it or the dogs will be on rations with the loss of FSM sales.

Excellent write up, thanks. I'm hoping I don't need to refer to this write up for awhile.

Sounds like it would be a difficult job without the impact wrench.

Last edited:
cruiserdan said:
The pump comes out from under the vehicle. Once is has beeen removed it is necessary to remove the gear from the pump shaft. I used a 17mm socket and an impact wrench to remove the nut.

This is a 12 points nut on my pump, not sure if they are all like that. Bad news if you don't have a 17 mm 12 points socket.

medtro said:
This is a 12 points nut on my pump, not sure if they are all like that. Bad news if you don't have a 17 mm 12 points socket.

Agreed, I did not mention that. The nut holding the gear is indeed 12 point.

cc93cruiser said:
Hey Dan, I bet you it was fun getting all that air out of power steering system, huh? :) .

Actually not bad at all. I think the key is adding fluid before the high pressure line is reinstalled on the pump. It is a bit messy but is gets the pump primed and reduces the ammount of trapped air dramaticly.

Do you have more pumps in stock? I'll be feeding the dogs with this one soon.

Thanks for the writeup.

I do keep them in stock, as well as the o-ring and pressure gaskets.

Hi Dan, awesome, thanks for this, I recently noticed the back of my pump leaking as well. Would you mind sharing how much the replacement parts are more or less? Also is the two jaw puller a Toyota SST or just a generic one? Thanks man, I think this is definitely worthwhile FAQ material. :cheers:

A new pump, o-ring and high-pressure gasket is about 237 bucks, current board member costs(4-05).

I used a craftsman two jaw puller. The FSM actually shows using a bench press but I don't have one at home.....:doh:

D-

cruiserdan said:
In my case the high pressure port broke loose from the pump body before the banjo bolt let go and as a result I had to head back to the tool box.

Nice write up Dan.

Do you think an impact would have prevented breaking the high pressure port? I know access would be limited but maybe with David's little 3/8" titanium IR-2115? I'm guessing you would have preferred to replace the gasket and O-ring and spend the extra $200 on the IR-2115 or :beer:

-B-

Beowulf said:
Nice write up Dan.

Do you think an impact would have prevented breaking the high pressure port? I know access would be limited but maybe with David's little 3/8" titanium IR-2115? I'm guessing you would have preferred to replace the gasket and O-ring and spend the extra $200 on the IR-2115 or :beer:

-B-

I don't know how it would have reacted to an impact. The port did not "break", it broke loose and started to unscrew. I think that if you had the open end wrench on the port the impact would have done the same job, without the bruise :mad: I got when it popped...:D

I do not like using an impact on a hollow bolt such as this one though.

D-

Only question I have is... do you provide the replacement procedure before or after doing the Voodoo :D. Me better go take a look see.

Before, of course..;)

It is more effective if I have a bad pump on the bench to jab the needles into.

I've got garlic cloves, silver bullets, and kryptonite hanging from the rearview mirrors, and mystical anti-voodoo drawings in charcoal around both trucks to keep this "symptom" at bay. Hmm, maybe I should add a lead shield around the engine compartment....

DougM

Trying to stop a high pressure line leak at the pump, I took the banjo bolt off, but the high pressure port also broke loose first. I cleaned it and replaced it into the pump without knowing what torque spec. Replaced the line and banjo bolt, and had no leak--until I turned off the motor a while later. High pressure port leaking again, although not as bad. What is the torque spec on the port?

Great write up Dan, what's the current cost of the pump & high pressure hose?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom