Builds Rig of the Fortnight Cruisin' (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruisin'

Out in the shop, building something cool!
Threads
I was quite encouraged to go ahead and put this up by the thread about the 80 forum ROTW going all quiet. My rig may not be as built as many here, but I’m gradually making it into my own, and the story of how all this came to be is a little different than most so I thought I’d share. If you’re into a good read, enjoy!

I became a Toyota convert several years ago. I knew they had a reputation for being tremendously reliable and long lasting vehicles, and after owning a varied assortment of vehicles (including a Russian made Lada, a ’78 Porsche 911, and a Heep YJ among many others), I bought a ’91 pickup off a buddy. It had 340,000km on the clock, but I knew he had been on top of the maintenance so I figured it should be good. It was with that little truck that I started really getting into fixing my own vehicles, and expanded my abilities greatly. I tackled several jobs that I thought were beyond me, including a timing belt (it was the 3.0 V6), complete front brake job including calipers and rotors, replacing body panels, paint, and saving the biggest for last, removing a head to replace a fried exhaust valve. After the truck was all back together from that one I only had two small parts left over on the bench, and I knew where they were both supposed to go (way in there, but not that important!).

But I digress, this is supposed to be how I came to have a Land Cruiser. My wife and I were expecting our first child, and the little pickup wasn’t going to be big enough anymore. I needed a SUV, but I had some pretty specific demands of it: It needed to be capable off road so we could get to mountain biking, climbing, and hiking destinations. It needed to have enough room to haul around all the stuff that you have to take along on trips when you have a small kid. It needed to be able to tow a travel trailer which we were planning to buy to replace the slide-in camper we had for the pickup. And it needed to be able to do all that without getting lousy milage. Hmmm… Anything that got the milage I was after was too small or based on a car chassis. Anything big and powerful enough was a fullsize with a thirsty V8…

About this time I became aware of a growing number of RHD Japanese import vehicles coming into Canada (they must be at least 15 years old). I knew a little about Land Cruisers and their reputation of being one of the toughest, most reliable vehicles ever built, and the ones coming from Japan could be had with a Diesel. I’d found the solution. It was big enough, it was good off road (I later realized what an understatement that was), it could tow a trailer the size I wanted, and it would get decent milage. Now the search was on.

There are a handful of importers local to where I live, but the prices were a little more than I could really spend. I mentioned to a guy at church who has a RHD Mitsubishi Pajero what I was looking for, and it turns out that his son-in-law is Japanese, and works for a vehicle exporting company in Japan. I contacted him to find out how this might work. Basically I send a deposit (about $1,000), and I get access to the Japanese vehicle auction online. Then if I see a truck that I like I email him with the stock #, and he sends back a translation of the auction report. I was about to buy a vehicle based on one photograph taken from 20 feet away of the front/quarter view, and an auction report that gives the model, milage, engine/trans, a list of ‘deficiencies’, and grades for the exterior and interior condition. How I talked my wife into this I will never understand. Looking back on it, how I talked myself into it I’m not so sure about either.

Over the course of a few weeks I kept an eye out for a nice clean HDJ81 with low miles, and a short deficiency list. I learned what the grades indicated, and that was part of the criteria too. Exterior is a 1-5, with 5 being showroom condition. Most 15 year old vehicles are a 3 or 3.5. Interior is A, B, C, or D. A being immaculate. Most are a C. I finally found one that looked nice and clean with only a couple deficiencies, and grades of 4 and B. I checked out the translated report, and told them my maximum bid. The next day I was the proud owner of a 1991 HDJ81 with a 1HD-T and 110,000km on the clock. Only problem is it is in Osaka, Japan. And would I please wire the money over tomorrow. Gulp.

After about a month the exporter emailed me with the good news. The truck was finally on a ship! It would be in Vancouver in about 3 weeks. I was getting excited, and my :princess: was relieved by the fact that there was now some evidence that the vehicle we had wired $10,000 to Japan for might actually exist. Once the paperwork arrived, and the customs broker I had hired got the 47 forms and documents processed I was told when and where I could go to get my truck. With a new import in BC, it has to go through a provincial vehicle inspection before you can insure it to drive. You can get a temp permit to take it directly to a shop for repairs and inspection, and a permit to go to the insurance office. That’s it. Since I wanted to check it over myself and do any work it needed before going in for inspection I had to trailer it home. Having no idea if it would start or what troubles I might encounter I took some tools and borrowed a F350 and a car trailer and headed to the dock to meet her.

It was love at first sight. She was nearly bone stock. There is the obligatory rain guards over the windows, some big lights on the front, and some pretty cool looking wheels. It was in nice shape too, the auction report hadn’t lied. And it had the magical little knob beside the steering wheel. Diff Locks!!! She fired right up with a flick of the key, and up on the trailer she went. An hour and a half drive later and she was sitting proudly in my driveway. Nice.:bounce:
Red Yota.jpg
Coming Home.jpg
Coming Home 2.jpg

To get legal I had to put new headlights on it (sourced from Cruiserparts.net), stick some extra reflectors on the front bumper, and new tires. Sadly I had only just discovered Mud while I was waiting for the truck to come over, and I hadn’t read yet that 285s will fit with no lift. I put 265 Toyo Open Country A/Ts on it, and that’s really my only regret because I have to wear them out before putting 285s on, and they’re lasting quite well. Anyway, the place that did the inspection said it was one of the cleanest imports that they had inspected, and gave it a clean bill of health.

It came stock with some fun stuff:
· Console fridge with ice maker
· CDL switch
· Diff locks
· Turbo timer
· Body mounted swing-out tire carrier
· Big lights up front
· Nice suede-look cloth seats
· Rancho 9000 shocks
· Compass & altimeter mounted on the ceiling

Since then I’ve gotten to know the truck pretty well. I’ve done a bunch of PM stuff:
· Changed the fateful BEBs. The #1 and #4 shells were quite bad.
· Changed diff fluids
· Changed t-case fluid
· Changed tranny fluid (at the same time as installing the trans cooler)
· Coolant Flush
· Rebuilt rear calipers & new pads (apparently dragging rear brakes can be good for a 1mpg + difference in milage. Oh my!)
· Replaced a couple u-joints in the rear shaft

I’ve gotten a few mods done, and have more waiting in the wings. So far I have
· Built sliders (I’m a ticketed welder, so building stuff is right up my alley)
· Modified a hitch from the ’91 pickup to fit this truck. Tucks nicely under the bumper too
· Wired 7 prong trailer plug, including charge line with solenoid for the trailer battery
· Wired brake controller
· Installed a heavy duty tranny cooler for towing the 18’ travel trailer we had bought
· Installed Alpine CD/MP3/Ipod deck
· Installed 4 new door speakers
· Installed 10” sub with amp
· Installed 3” turbo-back straight exhaust

Next up:
· I’ve started a new rear bumper. So far the rear bumper caps are off, and I’ve been taking measurements and making sketches. Actual work should start in the next week. I’m leaving the rear cross member in, so it will be a two piece unit. Probably make a swing-out for a bike rack. I have the stock body mounted tire carrier, so I don’t need one of those.
· Spring spacers are coming soon. I currently don’t have the $$$ for a 2.5” OME lift, so I think I’ll space the rear up about ¾, and the front 1 ½. This is mainly to offset the weight of some of the stuff I’m building for it.
· Front bumper maybe. Something one-off, but might look like a cross between an ARB and a Shortbus. Or maybe it will look like something else entirely, guess you’ll have to wait and see.
· Roof basket. This is on the longer list.
Straight Pipe.jpg
Hitch 1.jpg
Sliders 5.JPG

My whole attitude with mods on this truck is if I can build it, I will. There will be very little that I will buy complete for this truck. It’s a learning experience, as well as a way to showcase my abilities as a fabricator. Everything I do to it is to fill a practical need, and the mods have been in order of necessity.

Since getting the truck I’ve gotten into wheeling more than I was before, and am really impressed at the local community of Land Cruiser enthusiasts. I also want to say a huge THANK YOU to all the members of ih8mud. You have helped me through problems, given me the confidence to tackle jobs on the truck knowing that there’s an amazing resource I can rely on if I get stumped, and of course for providing countless hours of entertainment and ideas of what I want to do to the mighty Cruiser next.

:cheers:
Vedder Mtn 1.jpg
Mt Cheam parking lot.jpg
As she sits March 09.jpg

Great story!

Nice Job and great story. I would have :censor: pants wiring $$$ somewhere these days.

Looks great! Keep us updated on future mods... especially since you have the fab skills to build your own. :clap:

That rig is almost too clean! Good job finding it! I hope you come down and show us Americans how to drive on the right side of the road. Welcome!

Thanks for all the compliments guys, It was a great find, and I don't plan to part with it for a very long time. Unless it is to get an even better one.

Its a real pleasure to drive, and the RHD is really no big deal. The best part though is 21mpg (us). Maybe I should have kept that to myself around here?!?

-Jason

Your Japanese Contact

Nice rig. I'm in the States and interested in getting a 70 series. Is it possible for me to get your Japanese exporters contact information? Thanks.

Nice rig. I'm in the States and interested in getting a 70 series. Is it possible for me to get your Japanese exporters contact information? Thanks.

I used www.providecars.com The guy I dealt with was Les.

I assume you know the age requirement for importation into the US is 25 years? Just want to make sure you know.

Great writeup Cruisin. I would kill for 21mpg with all that tourque. Well done.

Buck

Great story. I'm glad to see your money was well spent.

So your coming up on 2 years of ownership? Just estimating from your MUD Member date.

May 24, 2007 was when I picked her up from the dock, so I'm just shy of 2 years. With the help of MUD, I have learned an amazing amount about the vehicle, and know that I can tackle whatever she throws at me.

I lurked for a few months before joining MUD. Just taking it in, and seeing what an amazing resource this is.

Nice story. Nice truck. Have you towed with it yet? How Does it do?

Nice story. Nice truck. Have you towed with it yet? How Does it do?

I have towed my 4,000lb ish travel trailer all over southern BC, and it does okay. It has to work on the hills, and you can really tell there's something behind you, but it feels safe and stable. I wouldn't want to pull anything much bigger though :eek:.

I want to get some gauges in there so I can see what's really going on though. Esp pyro, trans temp and boost. Last summer I just tried to take it easy, and it didn't give any problems :meh:

Great story and nice work on the sliders! You lucky Canadians and your 15 year old import laws........

New front bumper is on!

So, I got hit by a runaway BJ40 a month or so ago, which bumped my idea of building a front bumper to the very top of the 'to do' list. I looked at lots of different designs, and came up with this. I must also give some of the credit for the design to my :princess: who was pretty quick to say what she thought looks good and what doesn't. She thinks this looks good, and I have to agree.

First pic is after the big bang. The others are of more recent, happier times :bounce:
Ouch.jpg
Front bumper to post.jpg
Front bumper to post 2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom