The story of Lexi, great rig, one drawback (which I need advice on) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sunday after Thanksgiving 2022 I took Beast Mode (I named it first Elon) up the mountain to cut down a Christmas tree. It was awesome. On the way up there, buried in deep snow was a rock who hates front axles. I proceeded to hit it HARD. See story here: HERE

As I found out, Locking diffs are DIFFICULT to find, aren't they? So I bought a 'parts' rig .

Enter 1996 LX450 with a rod knock. Just a quick 5 hour trip to Denver and a few bucks later, I now have a modified , if non functional FJ80/LX450. It was listed here on Rising Sun 4x4 club.

So I get it in the driveway, and I'll be danged if this thing isn't nicer than Beast Mode. So now I have a dilemma, I can pull the axle and upgrades and keep it for parts (Already have a 94 80 that I made into a trailer and stupidly sold the front (albiet non-locking) axle to another mudder. (Who bends an axle housing, right???) So I don't really NEED and certainly don't WANT more clutter in my already bursting suburban home.

The seller had told me of a driveline located in Buena Vista Colorado from reputable https://www.wellsorted.com/ (since moved to Georgia). For just over a grand, I was able to procure a 1997 FJ80 drivetrain to put into this rig. I couldn't use the engine from the 1993 because I wouldn't have a daily (2wd) cruiser to drive, and for reasons listed here.

Anyway, I was able to put it in, and I will be darned if the thing didn't fire right up. 3 months of working on it a couple hours a week and the thing drove. I could hardly believe it myself. Just follow the factory service manual and you are golden. 29 steps to remove 34 to install. Freaking awesome.

I of course did an oil change and tras fluid and diff oil change before putting it in, but THAT"S IT. Only throws an code every once in a while (EGR insufficient flow), but otherwise ran like a top for the first 6 months. Over the last 3 months I noticed hesitation on mild to moderate acceleration (not heavy acceleration from what I can tell), in a few areas of my morning commute. Well it's gotten worse over the last week or 2, and Being that I am LAZY (although who swaps a drivetrain and writes a 3 paragraph post and is labeled lazy?) I want to find out what I should look at first.

It's hesitated, never backfired, seems to respond to full throttle input, and is a general annoyance around town. I want to know in order of most to least likely, what the culpret is.

I haven't replaced ANYTHING on the motor since I put it in.
What have I checked?
The Vacuum hoses seem to all be connected, I suck at finding vacuum leaks (never tried, I only assume I suck at it)
The air intake inspected for cracks.
I did notice that with the air intake off, the crankcase breather did have very small amounts of oil leading to to butterfly valve. I literally never even cleaned it, and given that the 80 it came from was rolled, I don't doubt there was some oil in breather hose.

What should I check/ replace on my rig. Things I haven't checked are

MAF (Never cleaned it, using the one from the Lexus, 333k miles on it)
Brake Booster (works ok, but sometimes I have to really step hard, although 35 inch tires may be at fault too)
Spark plugs (I'm cheap and didn't replace them)
Spark Plug wires (see spark plug excuse)
Distributor?
Ignition coil or coils ( I would think this would be an issue under full throttle even more though)
EGR (It is throwing a code afterall, but no emission in WY, so what do I care?)
Compression (I really hope not)
Various 02 sensors and other emissions crap.
Literally everything else

Where do I start to find the culpret, assuming I am cheap and lazy, but motivated to do more if I have to?

Clean the throttle body, also a passageway that gets clogged with carbon that can cause egr codes.
Replace plugs Toyota dealer ones are cheap at mine couple bucks
Clean maf
Check timing
I would just bite the bullet and do plug wires and distributer

Sounds like it needs a tune up.
Cap, rotor, plugs, wires.
I got a tune kit from Wits End, Put it in today, PROBLEM SOLVED!! YEAH!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom