holley or weber (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
just wandering witch carb is a better setup for reliability, mpg, offroad. This would be for an 86 fj60 f2 with downey torquer cam, header, dui distributer. I am familiar with holleys but I don't have a problem with learning about webers
Thanks

stock stock stock stock stock stock stock stock stock stock stock stock stock stock stock stock stock stock stock stock stock stock stock stock stock stock stock stock stock stock stock stock stock stock stock stock stock stock stock stock stock stock stock stock stock

Honestly, the toyota engineers knew what they were doing. Do a search, and you'll probably get the same answer.

If you are having problems with your current carb, have it rebuilt. Send it to Jim Chenowith ( fj40jim@aol.com I "think" )

Hmmmm.... reliability? Aisin(stock). mpg? Aisin. offroad? Aisin.

The Holley is a little larger CFM (350 vs 300) than the weber 38/38, therefore more power potential, if it is ever tuned to operate correctly with the engine. I think the holley is more reliable than the weber because it has a much more reliable adapter thingey. The fuel economy is pretty bad with either carb because they are shipped w/ fat jets and have unnecessarily large accel pump capacity. Off road, they are both pretty bad as shipped, but both can be tuned and tricked to work better.

That being said, the stock Aisan 38/40 spanks them both.
Power: Aisan is 425 CFM, plenty of capacity for a 4.2 or 4.3L engine.
Reliability: Aisan is very reliable for two reasons.
One, it is designed to be reliable. Not designed to be cheap to produce and fit any engine.
Second, it fits the vehicle with no troublesome manifold adaptors, cheapo open element air cleaner, rigged bicycle throttle cable or other half-#ssed coversion parts.
Economy: carb is the right size for the engine, has economical vacuum secondary design.
Off-road: it is designed for Land Cruiser off road use.

There are some folks who report that the (insert cheap aftermarket carb name here) carb worked wonders on their truck, improving starting, power and fuel economy. They went from 10 MPG to 15. That doesn't mean the (insert cheap aftermarket carb name here) carb is better than a properly set up Aisan, it just means that the original carb they had was not operating correctly. My own DD FJ60 gets 16.5MPG at a steady 100KPH, which is pretty good for a '60 w/ stock exhaust.

I'll stop carrying on now. I hear the attendant is bringing my meds...

Another plug for Aisin and have Jim C. rebuild it. Give him the particulars on your engine, what you want, and he'll rebuild the carb accordingly. He did the carb on my FJ40 about 6 years ago and I've not had to touch it since.

Geting the message

AISAN !!!!!!!

WOW! alright, so Aisan it is. I have rebuilt many carbs in the past and the stock carb on my old 77 fj40. Is the 86 fj60 carb more complex or is it basically the same as the earler versions?
thanks

That's amazing! According to Jim the stock Aisin will outflow a Weber 38. I had no idea. That being the case why would anyone ever "upgrade" to a Weber to get more power. The Weber flows less air and has crappy reliability.

FJ40Jim said:
The Holley is a little larger CFM (350 vs 300) than the weber 38/38, therefore more power potential, if it is ever tuned to operate correctly with the engine. I think the holley is more reliable than the weber because it has a much more reliable adapter thingey. The fuel economy is pretty bad with either carb because they are shipped w/ fat jets and have unnecessarily large accel pump capacity. Off road, they are both pretty bad as shipped, but both can be tuned and tricked to work better.

That being said, the stock Aisan 38/40 spanks them both.
Power: Aisan is 425 CFM, plenty of capacity for a 4.2 or 4.3L engine.
Reliability: Aisan is very reliable for two reasons.
One, it is designed to be reliable. Not designed to be cheap to produce and fit any engine.
Second, it fits the vehicle with no troublesome manifold adaptors, cheapo open element air cleaner, rigged bicycle throttle cable or other half-#ssed coversion parts.
Economy: carb is the right size for the engine, has economical vacuum secondary design.
Off-road: it is designed for Land Cruiser off road use.

There are some folks who report that the (insert cheap aftermarket carb name here) carb worked wonders on their truck, improving starting, power and fuel economy. They went from 10 MPG to 15. That doesn't mean the (insert cheap aftermarket carb name here) carb is better than a properly set up Aisan, it just means that the original carb they had was not operating correctly. My own DD FJ60 gets 16.5MPG at a steady 100KPH, which is pretty good for a '60 w/ stock exhaust.

I'll stop carrying on now. I hear the attendant is bringing my meds...
jim can you share them meds:eek: oh yea the cruiser is fine:D

I like my Weber, would rather have a rebuilt de-smogged Aisin. But for the money, this used Weber 38/38 was a better deal for me.

The adapters suck on the Weber and so is the throttle cable I went back to my stock rod linkage after braking a cable in a bad spot.

I have never heard anything good about the Holley for Cruisers.

stinkyfj60 said:
I like my Weber, would rather have a rebuilt de-smogged Aisin. But for the money, this used Weber 38/38 was a better deal for me.

The adapters suck on the Weber .

yeap pretty much it. go with a weber till you can get your aisin redone.

hoping to get mine rebuilt soon. then slap the weber on the 60 for a bit.

Cruiser mechanic buddy of mine will be offing his Weber as soon as he gets his EFI installed. Let me know & I'll put you in touch.

Myself, I'd stick with the Aisin, rebuilt by JC.

When I switched to diesel I sold all the old 3F parts I didnt need and had numerous phone calls from 60 and 70 owners who wanted to get their cruisers back to stock.

See,they had bought cruisers that had Holleys and Webers fitted and they ran like crap.
I had already sold the carb but they were looking for things like the OEM air filter box and tube as they got ditched with the Aisan carb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom