FJ60 springs on an FJ40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am planning on installing a set of REAR FJ60 springs on the FRONT of my FJ40 and I was wondering if anyone could give me a measurement from eyelet to eyelet of a compressed (ride height) REAR spring. HAs anyone done this? Is it difficult? Thanks for any input.

Hi All:

IIRC, the compressed length of the top leaf of the 60/70 Series rear springs is 42 inches, eye-to-eye.

Regards,

Alan

There is less hassle with using 60 front springs on the front of a 40. They fit the stock hangers (late 40 series) and the axle mount is centered, meaning the axle is moved slightly forward from the original stock location but also creates softer flex and less harsh ride without having to relocate spring hangers.

I did manafre fj60 4 plus front brackets made my own rear hangers and put fj60 front up front and rear in the rear.oh yeah they are 2 leaf parabolic and i'm very happy with the ride .i will try to post some pics tomorrow.

There is less hassle with using 60 front springs on the front of a 40. They fit the stock hangers (late 40 series) and the axle mount is centered, meaning the axle is moved slightly forward from the original stock location but also creates softer flex and less harsh ride without having to relocate spring hangers.

So you had to lengthen your front driveshaft? Do you remember how much longer?

Brian

Lots of misinformation so far in this thread. The different numbers quoted probably represent the different ways to measure the length of a leaf spring pack. We need a convention and the most reasonable one (IMO) is that used in Rob Mullen's FAQ (above in the Tech Section). Using the specs reproduced by Rob the rear FJ60 springs are 45.7" long compared to the front 40/45 length of 41.6.

And the spring pin IS offset like the FJ40 and unlike the FJ55.

Lots of misinformation so far in this thread. The different numbers quoted probably represent the different ways to measure the length of a leaf spring pack. We need a convention and the most reasonable one (IMO) is that used in Rob Mullen's FAQ (above in the Tech Section). Using the specs reproduced by Rob the rear FJ60 springs are 45.7" long compared to the front 40/45 length of 41.6.

So the FJ60 front spring is SHORTER (1058mm) than the FJ40 front (1070mm) spring? Hmmmm, fishy.
I was mistaken, I confused 55 springs with 60 springs. However, I have 60 fronts up front and it pushed my front axle forward about 2".

I can't find the specs on each spring but they are out here.

As far as driveshaft lengthening, I went SOA with my spring swap so I can't comment on that.

So the FJ60 front spring is SHORTER (1058mm) than the FJ40 front (1070mm) spring? Hmmmm, fishy.
I was mistaken, I confused 55 springs with 60 springs. However, I have 60 fronts up front and it pushed my front axle forward about 2".

I can't find the specs on each spring but they are out here.

As far as driveshaft lengthening, I went SOA with my spring swap so I can't comment on that.

No, the sixty spring is longer and there is an offset to it.

pics

OK still have to weld and paint but just to give you a look see.
SANY0045.JPG
SANY0046.JPG
SANY0047.JPG

more pics

couple more
SANY0048.JPG
SANY0049.JPG
SANY0050.JPG

and one more
SANY0050.JPG
SANY0051.JPG

No, the sixty spring is longer and there is an offset to it.

But Rob Mullen's FAQ that was referenced as the baseline (which I agree with the concept) states the 60 front spring is shorter than the 40 front spring by 12mm.

But Rob Mullen's FAQ that was referenced as the baseline (which I agree with the concept) states the 60 front spring is shorter than the 40 front spring by 12mm.

TLC FAQ - 4.2 Specifications

Mullen's doesn't list offset- could that account for the front axle being moved forward with 60 fronts?

I have both a 40 and a 60 parked next to each other (I wish at least one of them ran) and will take some quick measurements and post them up when I get a chance.

Last edited:

I believe these measurements are center line of spring hangers on the frames. If you measure along the arch of the main leaf a rear 60/62 spring is roughly 47 1/2".

Okay, measured from the spring/shackle hanger centers the 40 front springs are about 42.5" and the 60 fronts are indeed about 1/2" shorter.

But the center pins on the 40 are offset and the 60s aren't. On my 40 the axle sits about 22.5" behind the shackle hanger while on the 60 the axle only sits about 21" behind the hanger, which would move the axle forward about 1.5".

Are the 60 fronts a worthwhile upgrade? The tradeoff I see is that they are a touch shorter but a lot beefier that the stock springs on my 10/69 40. I realize that 60 rear springs on all four corners might be a better option, but I already have a set (front and rear) of 3" lift 60 springs.

Uh, were talking about a sixty rear spring, not front.

Why would you want shorter front springs? I can't believe they're going to be that much softer.

I believe this to be all correct.

I like the way the rear shackle is set up on candograge's shackle reversal. I believe you can get better clearance and shackle angle with a hanger instead of going through the frame.

Here's the rear end of my front springs; fj55 rears, pin centered. Mine is on fj60-width axles, thus the outboard offset.

attachment.php

Must be referring to front vs. front.

Last edited:
Maybe this will help. I climbed under my 40 and 60 with a tape measure and took some quick measurements. Not overly precise, but close enough for discussion purposes. FWIW, all measurements are between the spring eye centers .

FRONT SPRINGS

FJ40
Front hanger to pin: 22.5”
Pin to Rear hanger: 20”
Overall Length: 42.5”

FJ60
Front hanger to pin: 21”
Pin to Rear hanger: 21”
Overall Length: 42”

REAR SPRINGS

FJ40
Front hanger to pin: 19.5”