cruiser shock info...12", 14" ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I would like to get a quote on some Bilsteins for my cruiser...the problem is, I don't know what size.

Does anyone know which size a stock cruiser would use FRT and RR?
My cruiser has 2" lift springs - SUA front and rear.

Thinking about picking up some 5125, with 255/70 valving.
link to shocks:
http://www.bilstein.com/offroad_5125.php

thanks,
manny 72fj40

Last edited:
GOOD shocks, you'll like them...

12"ers on front, tho you may need to swap to Ford towers...not sure on rear...but will guess 10's since you have the "high" axle-side mounting.

what stroke are on there now?!?

I was wondering if I have to run the ford towers.
I just got your shock spec xls...great info.

thanks Brain,
manny 72fj40 w/really rusty monroes

"general" rule for shocks is 1/3 uptravel, 2/3 downtravel

12" stroke shock should have 4" of shaft showing at ride height...break out your calculator and spend some time with their stroke and compressed/extended lengths...Bilsteins require MORE room for the shock body becuase of their design.

Just to add. I also need new shocks for my cruiser. It has add a leafs and extended shackles. What length of shock should I get? I am just going to my local parts store but I am not sure which size I need. Thanks

PROPER shock selection requires a bit of work and ingenuity....

Measurements are a good start if the correct way doesn't work...1/3 of the availble shock shaft showing, 2/3 in the tube. You'll need at rest measurements....see above.

IDEALLY you fully twist the suspension and get a compressed and extended measurement with NO Shocks.. You want the right front fully compressed, the left front in the air, the left rear fully compressed, and the right rear in the air....FULL twist. ANY other method, including the infamous RTI, doesn't fully work your suspension. I've done this, ended up needing custom shock mounts and quite a bit of fab work to not limit my travel.

Unfortunately, your local parts store is unlikely to have a Gabriel chart to help you find a longer shock....actually, I all but guarantee they don't....best bet is to use the shock spreadsheet in the Techlinks and start price shopping....many of our esteemed forum vendors have quality but inexpensive shock lines that may work.

Brian,
I don't have access to a fork-lift, would an engine hoist work?
This way I can also check on potential issues on the possibility of moving axle forward another inch (another project).

I really appreciate the shock education...
manny 72fj40

PS,
found local Fdealer who can order shock towers for $12 each...thanks again

E5TZ-18183-A 88 F250 Ford part number for taller replacement front shock towers

I took some pin-to-pin measurements, does the following sound right?

compression 15"
extension 21"

With the Ftower, I would be able to move the upper pin approx. 3-4" inchs, so I would be looking at
the following shock (only in a 5125) ?
ext comp travel
Bilstein/5100 BE5-6249-HO 29.70 17.91 11.79
or
Bilstein/5100 BE5-6248-HO 25.93 15.91 10.02

I made the mistake of NOT removing the rear shocks, as I am sure they where fully extended and preventing the cruiser from articulating some more...

manny 72fj40
twist.jpg

6" of movement at the shock...you haven't come even close to twisting up your suspension...

My old front SUA suspension with 2.5" Skyjackers and a shackle reversal used almost all of a 12" stroke shock....

Brian,
My low measurements may be a combination of rear maxed shocks, and crummy shackle angle?

https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2239&stc=1

If I go w/the 12" Bilsteins, I would position the shocks so that almost 4" inch of shock shaft is exposed...and secure Ftower accordingly.

travel / 3 = 3.93
ext comp travel
Bilstein/5100 BE5-6249-HO 29.70 17.91 11.79

thanks,
manny 72fj40

I hate to break it to you but the first time the trucks hits the dirt, them bolts are toast. Good thing that 2x4 was there to protect them from the jack :flipoff2:
hehe1.jpg

Jack is there incase of wheel stud failure.
New ubolts will be trimmed before trail (broke one when I did the SR)...it's on the list.

It looks like 12" Bilsteins should do nicely.

thanks again for the education,
manny 72fj40

It appears that the 12" bilsteins will work w/stock cruiser shock mounting.
Currently SUA, 2" 55 rear springs...

sorry for all the shock questions...thanks,
manny 72fj40

I was just giving you crap :D I have the 12" travel shocks on all four corners. Mine is slightly different because it has a 4" lift SUA, the '78 uses the lower mounting in the rear off the U bolt plate under the springs, and the rear shocks are angled in. All of this adds length to the rear shocks so the 12" travel shocks may be too long in the rear. I am guessing your shackles are adding some of the lift beyond 2" but my shocks in the rear are right at 4.5" of travel at ride height.

The fronts are also at 4.5 at ride height but the only difference there is the 4" vs. 2" lift and the SR. I think the front measurement at 18" compressed and the shock at 17.91" those shocks are too long. Get a second opinion for sure but that is something to think about.

I measured my shock lengths while rebuilding my springs.
I dropped all but the top leaf, refitted axles with a packer in place of the other leaves.
VERY easy to get full compression for measuring purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom