For insurance purposes how do you asses a fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

69 FJ40

JD
Threads
For insurance purposes how do you value a fj40

Hello everyone,
For information purposes how do you assess the value of an old fj40. For example a 1969, KBB dose not go that far :). I have full coverage on my 40 and it is assessed far less in my opinion. I would like to recover the full value/worth of my investment, I am paying for it after all. Your thoughts? :cheers:

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
For information purposes how do you asses the value of an old fj40. For example a 1969, KBB dose not go that far :). I have full coverage on my 40 and it is assessed far less in my opinion. I would like to recover the full value/worth of my investment, I am paying for it after all. Your thoughts? :cheers:
You might want to change your title from asses to assess:D

that's pretty funny.

mine is insured through grundy and they let me put my own value on it. it's insured for well over what it's worth, but for about what i have in it. only catch is, there is a mileage limit per year-which i will never hit.

What are you worried more about theft or collision? If you wheel it and damage the vehicle it will most likely NOT be covered.
If your worried about the countless retards on road hitting it, then have you might have to have it appraised.
As mentioned above Gundy Insurance will let you place a value on it... wow. I'm suprised, how is the premium on something like that, mileage limits? I used to pay a pretty hefty price on my old Corvette, but of course I had a fairly poor record of speeding too. Good thing I drive a 40 now, I can barely break the speed limit!

What are you worried more about theft or collision? If you wheel it and damage the vehicle it will most likely NOT be covered.
If your worried about the countless retards on road hitting it, then have you might have to have it appraised.
As mentioned above Gundy Insurance will let you place a value on it... wow. I'm suprised, how is the premium on something like that, mileage limits? I used to pay a pretty hefty price on my old Corvette, but of course I had a fairly poor record of speeding too. Good thing I drive a 40 now, I can barely break the speed limit!

Theft and collision!

in OZ i have mine insured for the same price as any car$450 a year,once it is a classic (30 years and over)it is no problem over there it sounds like a problem,hope you sort it as you dont wanna lose out

I have State Farm full coverage. I was told that they insure it for market replacement value. Hopefully I will never find out.

CC
comic_ani.gif

A Mud follower had hit a dear last year with his georgeous 82 BJ42 causing both f/fenders,bib,one side apron damage. He had full comp/collision through a reputable insurance company(can't remember which one). He figured $3500.00 to fix. Ins. Co. said the 82 LC wasn't worth that complete. I watch ebay and print out all the high sales FJ/BJ's and file them. I faxed a half dozen that sold for high $20,000" through $30,000's. He presented these sales to his estimater who quickly recalculated the claim. He got the full $3500.00 that he asked for. So to all i encourage the same. Keep a file as we all have seen some of these rigs sell for HUGE dollars. hard for the insurance companies to argue that there not worth that much.

Ditto on establishing a fair declared value at time of purchasing the policy. Did with my Allstate rep. Insured, full coverage, for what it would cost to buy a similarly equiped TLC.
And no it's not costly. Saved a bit as the 40 is not my daily driver

Check into State Farm's antique vehicle coverage. Basically my agant and I agreed upon a replacement price of the vehicle..... what it would cost to build another one. The cost was almost half what I was paying for liability and much better coverage with no mileage limitations. My truck is far from stock but that didn't matter. Most insurance companies will do an agreed price coverage, but you gotta shop for it.

with grundy, i insured mine for 30k and pay about $160/yr.

you have to have a good driving record-
nobody under 25 can ever drive the vehicle-
it can't be lifted more than 4 inches-(mine is soa now)
it has to be "restored" or in the process of being restored(mostly you just need to clean it up real good for the agents pictures)-
you can't drive it more than 5000m/yr (i think)

I rolled mine when some bozo stopped quickly for a latte stand in front of me. I put my 40 into a ditch on it's side. My insurance company "totaled" it out and sent the paperwork into the Department of Licensing. They gave me very little for it even though I presented them with E-Bay vehicle sales and local sale prices. I ended up buying it back from the insurance company for $800 and restoring it to it's former restored condition. Heck, the 8274-50 was worth $800.00. The bummer is now I have a "salvaged" title that sticks with the truck forever.

I tried to get collector car insurance for my 40 and my mustang last year, because it was far cheaper with better coverage. But I wasn't able to find a collector car insurance policy that actually allowed you to drive your vehicles. All the companies I looked into wouldn't cover anything that you drove to work, ran errands with etc. So I wound up just getting agreed value policies on both.

what it really comes down to is how modified your truck is. If it is modified in the least bit, most of the classic car insurance guys won't insure you. I have finally given up with insurance on my 40. I got AAA, they were the cheapest and got full coverage. In the state of CA they have to pay for the actual value of the vehicle. They will always try to lowball you, I have 2 appraissals on my 40 so that I have 2 opinions of what it is worth. The key is to not accept their offer. They will usually come to some agreement as they don't want a claim hanging out there for too long.

I have Farmers for a little bit more money my 40 is covered for 30,000. My monthly payment is 123$ not too bad. I am looking forward to turning 25

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom