2F turbo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mace

rock scientist..
Staff member
s-Moderator
Threads
I suppose I should start a new thread on this..

Matt and Trollhole have done admirable jobs on pursuing perfection in 2F rebuilds..

Me, I am a hack.. and bolt on power is the name of the game for me.

About 4 years ago I got a turbo setup for a 2F from Au. I was so excited that I bolted the bad boy on and went to town.. Had reasonable luck with it, but there was almost no throttle response till the turbo spooled up. Not horrible to deal with (I was assuming that the 4.11's and 40" tires had something to do with it) but certainly not what I had hoped for. Over the years it got worse and worse until the turbo started leaking and it just would not run right....

So, time for a rebuild...

I had no idea how many exhaust leaks there were on this setup. it leaked EVERYWHERE!!!! I do not think there was one solid seal on the entire thing.. Seriously.. It was horrid..

So, I dissassembeled it to make it better.

Best tool for that work was a plasma cutter. So sad..

I could actually see light through the stock wastegate. It was bad. So, new 38 MM wastegate off Ebay.. And, I also have an infinitely variable boost controller (in cab) for it as well. fun stuff :)
DSCF1018-400.jpg
DSCF1017-400.jpg

That old wastegate only weighed about 50 lbs more than the new one ;)

The neat thing about this turbo setup is that it is simple.. The stock manifolds are retained and the T4 turbo is simply bolted to the stock manifold.

Here is the adapter between the stock manifold and the t4 turbo.

The side outlet is for the wastegate (needs to be modified for the new wastegate)

I am contemplating having a couple of them made up by one of the fab shops here in town. But, I am not sure I want to go through the hassle..
DSCF1019-400.jpg
DSCF1021-400.jpg
DSCF1022-400.jpg

As the turbo parts show up I'll update this thread..

Variable vane pitch turbo- there's you answer. :D

Got any numbers on the turbo that came with that Oz setup? Rebuilding it or goin with something new?

You know as well as I do that turbo's don't affect slow-speed throttle response. Must mean you're starting with a dumpy engine. :D

Send me some CAD files or drawings of the adapter and I will make some.

variable pitch turbo.. That is not cheap bastage engineering...

:D

turbo is a Garrett/Airresearch T4. An60 compressor and .81 turbine. That is all, oil lubed and water cooled. Simple draw through design.

The bummer on the adapter is that I have to cut it up a bit for the new wastegate. Ahh well, it needed help anyway ;)

CruisinGa, How quickly could you duplicate it if I sent you the entire thing???

3D cad is not my bag..

If you sent it to me I would probably just draw it up or throw it in the CMM and send it back. Can't be sure I would be able to get enough time in the machine shop before finals to get it back to you quickly.

I've done a lot of reading and planning for a turbo setup, and I couldn't decide between an adapter like this or making a new manifold out of weld els. I'm surprised the two bolts on the stock manifold support the turbo.

At the very least the cad files would be easy to send around if people wanted to get a machinist to make them one, and as I get time I could make a few myself.

2D Cad is your bag? I'd rather study calculus than draw road grades and wall footing cross sections. :D

Stock manifold is three bolts.. And the ring between the adapter and the stock manifold is 3/8" thick..

Works fine..

I have a 1F. ;)

It's been a couple years since I did much on a 2F.

Let me know if you want to send the part my way.

Stock manifold is three bolts.. And the ring between the adapter and the stock manifold is 3/8" thick..

Works fine..

Plus there are two holes in the block at that location for a manifold bracket that could be drafted into service for a turbo bracket.

If you made a new flange adapter, you wouldn't have to cobble the old one and it might end up cleaner with the new wastegate.

I'd like to see how you do the intake. Intercooler?

That adapter is dirt simple Jason.

Throw a scale across some of the flanges so we can get a few key dimensions.

I can draw one up in SolidWorks and shoot you a Jpeg file in a few hours.

I only have a few implants to draw up today so I can make a quick and dirty drawing and a 3D model for ya.

john
mace1.jpg
mace2.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet, I'll get the specs tonight.

I suppose I should start a new thread on this..

Matt and Trollhole have done admirable jobs on pursuing perfection in 2F rebuilds..

Me, I am a hack.. and bolt on power is the name of the game for me.

Tks were nearly there:D

Maybe worth looking to see if you can pick up a smaller AR something around .63 as it will spool up faster, if it's inter changeable (depends on model)

Not too worried about spool up time now a days. There were SOOO Many exhaust leaks in the system it almost has to spool up faster.

You could actually see light around the old wastegates valve..

I only have a few implants to draw up today.....

john

Do you work for Niznick? I mean are you speaking of dental implants?:cool:

Ed

Funny, I was thinking mellons myself ;)

I am designing and manufacturing spinal implants for the orthopaedic industry.

Ahhhhhh, makes more sense because root-form dental implants are kinda cookie-cutter. Titanium used to be primarily the Rooskie-owned metal, now we make golf clubs out of it........used nosecones, I suspect;)

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom