Feedback on Mudrak's dual seal speedo housing. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiser_guy

Out of Africa / North Africa
Threads
Website
join-hands-for-hope-helping-people-help-themselves.mailchimpsites.com
Have you folks have good luck with these on the leaky parking brake drum seal? Is a speedi sleeve still needed if the drum is scored? I've been needing to add a quart or so to the transfer in the '55 each time my wife goes off to the village clinic she works at (20km of rough gravel + 20km of OK highway) here in Guatemala.

I'm in the process of fixing this leak, hopefully with the dual seal housing to eliminate future leaks.

Have folks used synthetic gear lube successfully in the single piece case?

I had one on my t-case and no leaks,I was tired of adding oil every month. I receintly rebuilt it(t-case and brake) and when I get it back under the rig I'm sure it will work fine.

Is a speedi sleeve still needed if the drum is scored?

If you want the seal to do anything other than let oil past it, you will need to install a sleeve, or a different parking brake drum...

Have folks used synthetic gear lube successfully in the single piece case?

I cannot see the reason or value in doing so. The transmissions and transfer cases in these vehicles are not considered a ‘close tolerance’ unit like newer vehicles. Normal gear oil has worked fine in them for millions of miles.

Fix your leak properly, refill the transfer case will good clean 80W-90 and call it good.

awesome luck...one of the best fixes. i've even chewed up the lip of on of the seals from pulling the case apart so many times and it still didn't leak.

As dgangle mentioned in the other thread, it is pretty easy to machine the bearing retainer to accept two seals. As he said, it takes longer to find a box to ship it for machining. I used a carbide bit in a drill press. The shank diameter of this particular bit is the same as the cutter diameter, so the smooth shank of the bit pilots on the original sealing surface so you can't cut too deep. It is pretty hard to screw it up.

Here are some pictures:

Seal1.jpg

Seal2.jpg

Seal3.jpg

So far it seems to be holding oil just fine and the hand brake is holding the '55 just fine!

I had a local machine shop mimic this on another speedo housing for use on the FJ45LV.

The bit is a 1/4 inch carbide end mill that fits the collet of a die grinder. The key thing is that the cutter head is the same diameter as the shank, which allows the shank to pilot the cutter in the existing hole so you can't cut too deep.

I got them at a gub show; 3/$5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom