Double front shocks... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Was diggn around in some old archives and found this double front shock mod. .... It was part of a dealer in stalled Baja package introduced back in 1973.... tech trivia.....
shock- lower (Custom).jpg
upper shock (Custom).jpg

That's so 80's

All I can say is
scary166a.JPG

reminds me of back in the day reading off road magazine, thinking those shiny jeeps were soooo cool
when I was like 10

Is their any advantage to have double front shocks? I know that the 73 Baja FJ40 had 6 in the front 4 in the back.

for some reason about 95% of all Early Broncos have Dual Shocks..

5000F.jpg

My Friend has an EB and asked me the same question, No Buy One Quality Shock and be done with it.. 2 Crappy ones don't do anything but add weight :D (and Look Wicked Cool at the Car Show)

Alright cool thanks and your right they do look cool.

Last edited:
reminds me of back in the day reading off road magazine, thinking those shiny jeeps were soooo cool
when I was like 10

:cool:
Untitled-1 (Custom) (Custom) (Custom).jpg

Steve McQueen had a Cruiser "back in the day" which had been modified with two leaf packs (side by side) on each corner. !?!?!?!?!?

Mark...

Someone obviously thought they had figured out the next neat trick that was gonna sweep the world. Guess they was wrong. ;)

Mark...

Catching up on old threads from being out of town last week. :D

My 71 has the double shock mounts but the PO told me he bought a kit from Man-a-Fre?

The bottom double mounts are welded to the axle. The drivers side also acts as the anchor for an aftermarket steering damper. See Pics. The top is just a pressed in double pin that replaces the OEM single one.
P2040110W.jpg
P2040111W.jpg

for some reason about 95% of all Early Broncos have Dual Shocks..

5000F.jpg

My Friend has an EB and asked me the same question, No Buy One Quality Shock and be done with it.. 2 Crappy ones don't do anything but add weight :D (and Look Wicked Cool at the Car Show)

I think it's people trying to go for the Stroppe Baja Bronco look of old. I guess in a high speed offroad setting, like dunes or desert, it makes since to have to 2 good shocks to dampen hard front end landings. That and control the weight of the tires maybe. But for the most part, it's stupid.

Catching up on old threads from being out of town last week. :D

My 71 has the double shock mounts but the PO told me he bought a kit from Man-a-Fre?

The bottom double mounts are welded to the axle. The drivers side also acts as the anchor for an aftermarket steering damper. See Pics. The top is just a pressed in double pin that replaces the OEM single one.

Damn, Coolerman..... you got a piece of history there........:cool:

Check this double rear out. Thoughts?

Dave
doublerears.jpg

If one stiff shock, mounted so as to be the limiting factor of your suspension movement is good, then two must be even better?

Mark...

Found another article on a 3 shock configuration that was designed by Mickey Thompson in conjunction with Gabriel Shock Corp for the '74 Baja Racer.... just a Blast From The Past...
3 shock.jpg
223 (Custom).jpg
mag (Custom).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom