"Your plugs are squirting coolant like the fountains at Bellagio" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When your mechanic tells you that you know you're in for it..BIG BUCKS !!!! They pulled the plugs and I guess coolant was coming out like crazy...He says more than likely that the rods are warped...and to keep my fingers crossed that the crankcase is OK... :eek: "In my best Homer voice...Dooooooooooooooo"

Oooo. That's bad. Sounds like you lost your head gasket huh?

I have never heard of warped rods though. Warped heads and bent rods are common terminology. Find out if he just meant a warped head which isn't as big a deal as a bent rod. I doubt you have bent a connecting rod.

connecting rods will break not bend right? I have never seen a bent one, but have seen lots of broken ones

I don't know...He's pulled the engine out to get a better look...It was def. the headgasket..crazy thing is that it drove fine..it didn't seem like it was loping or doing anything funny...I wonder what the cost of a 350 vs a rebuilt inline 6 is...I'd def. like to stay with Toyota power...

Sounds like its V8 time!

Why? Will that veggie juice fix a headgasket? :D

Most of the time a headgasket only leaks a small amount of coolant into the cylinder when the motor is running, to bend a rod it takes a big gulp all at once, like sucking it in the intake of a running motor.

He's pulled the engine out to get a better look.

All he needed to do was pull the head and measure the deck height on each cylinder to see if it has a bent rod. I doubt it, it would of made noise and missed badly.

I think he maybe said that 5 and 6 were bent(not sure) and that he had to pull it, open it up to see the extent of the damage....

Which vehicle, how many miles?

If it was running fine, there is no way you could have a bent rod. It would be very noticeable because the piston would be forced against the cylinder wall.

cruiserdan said:
Which vehicle, how many miles?

1993 180k miles...The engine is out of the truck might as well rebuild the bastard...I'm really kicking myself because a (sorta) friend of ours is a local Toyota mechanic...He helped me with the smog on my fj-60 so I didn't want to bug him...I called him tonight and he said I should have brought it to him that he moonlights a lot on the side...I coulda saved an ass load on labor...Oh well I'll have a brand new motor that should be good for a couple hundred K....

These HG stories send a shiver up my spine. I can't drive without one eye constantly on the temperature gauge.

1) WS you never told us what CAUSED this problem or what WARNING signs you got. Had you not servived your cooling system?

2) And as a general question to the group, how common are HG woes with FJZ80's

MH_Stevens said:
These HG stories send a shiver up my spine. I can't drive without one eye constantly on the temperature gauge.

1) WS you never told us what CAUSED this problem or what WARNING signs you got. Had you not servived your cooling system?

Here's Part 1 of the story...

MH...from what I gather HG failure is very common in the fjz-80..Now I wish I had replaced it when I first bought the vehicle and had the cooling system flushed(but als I didn'y know until I started getting symptoms)

MH_Stevens said:

Quoting Robbie in a previous HG post.

"After being inside 30 or more engines I think most of you guys are living in denial. I truly believe it will happen to you at some time. rememeber I believe in fairies an such. I have been around when a couple have gone real bad, white smoke billowing out the back of a truck as they drive down the road. I really thinke it is a matter of time for most 1FZJ80's. We hear of trucks every week having failures for no appearent reasons. I do wish it happens when it is easy to repair and you really do not get soaked. I was lucky after getting my truck and driving it back from Flordia to Santa fe NM, a couple of thousands miles I got to 90 miles from SF. I even went through Big Bend in Texas and crossed over the Rio Grande into Mexico. I see the numbers and I have replaced more headgaskets then the numbers on the board."

So has anyone figured what it would cost to do this as preventative maintenance these days?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom