Your Opinion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gun Runner 5

ODD IRON OFF ROAD
SILVER Star
Threads
image.jpg
I currently have 31x9.50x16 tires on my HJ75 Ute and am thinking about upgrading the tires. My "utilitarian" white wagon wheels are probably too narrow to handle the upgrade. I've noticed a LOT of Utes on Australian Ebay, including the later model in this photo, are still running a utilitarian rim. (Utilitarian rim on a utilitarian truck.... Seems to make sense.)
My question: Should I stick with a simple wagon wheel rim to maintain the utilitarian look or upgrade to something else? My plan is to mount 33x10.50x16's in the near future.
Thanks

Something else:
1 ton axle with duals ;)
Disclaimer: The opinion of a "petrol burner" isn't weighed as heavily as that of a "diesel burner" but I'll take your opinion under advisement. :flipoff2:

Disclaimer: The opinion of a "petrol burner" isn't weighed as heavily as that of a "diesel burner" but I'll take your opinion under advisement. :flipoff2:
My opinion is worth what you paid for it :)

Why wouldn't one inch wider tires fit those rims? I would keep those, or change to something else that looks like stock Toyota if you must. It should be against the law to run black wheels on Toyota trucks.

Why wouldn't one inch wider tires fit those rims? I would keep those, or change to something else that looks like stock Toyota if you must. It should be against the law to run black wheels on Toyota trucks.
I'm told by folks a lot smarter than me that my current rims will pull the sidewalls inward and will adversely affect the amount of rubber that actually contacts the pavement.

Do 255/85r/16 and don't look back
They suit these trucks so well.
Rims come down to your preference.

I'm told by folks a lot smarter than me that my current rims will pull the sidewalls inward and will adversely affect the amount of rubber that actually contacts the pavement.
Rule of thumb is to not to mount tires that are more then 4" wider then the rim. That said 12.5" wide tires on 8" rims are very common around here. The best thing to do is adjust tire pressure using the chalk method to maintain best surface contact. Putting 33x10.5R16 on your stock rims (I'm guessing 16x7 ?) should not be an issue at all

Rule of thumb is to not to mount tires that are more then 4" wider then the rim. That said 12.5" wide tires on 8" rims are very common around here. The best thing to do is adjust tire pressure using the chalk method to maintain best surface contact. Putting 33x10.5R16 on your stock rims (I'm guessing 16x7 ?) should not be an issue at all
I appreciate that information.

Hey Charles!

As many have said, I would perhaps run a 33x10.5R15 with factory 15" steel wheels (like the ones on the 60/62 series) or run the 255/85R16 like Karter @ForealBoreal mentioned with 16" 70-series steel wheels. Your truck is so clean and so pristine that I think running a factory Toyota wheel would be the icing on the cake...

-Alberto

I have been running 235x85x16 on 16x7 heavy duty ROH rims for a few years and Im sticking to them. Just bought 4 new ones last week.
They are about 32 inches overall

As others have stated, 255/85R16 would be my choice, but the tire I really want has been discontinued in that size.

I will go with a 255/80R17 on FJC rims or some 17" Marsh Racing wheels made to a 3.25" backspace

Last edited:
I have been running 235x85x16 on 16x7 heavy duty ROH rims for a few years and Im sticking to them. Just bought 4 new ones last week.
They are about 32 inches overall
No photo?
Come on Rosco, even kids carry camera phones. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom