Your opinion on my next set of tires... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Shahram

I ain't got herpes no more.
Threads
All right, so I've searched, and I've lurked, and I've pondered and fretted.

I've got a '96 80, 2.5" OME heavies, ARB no winch, no flares, no running boards, and a rear tyre jockey.

90% of my driving is highway/street. The remaining 10% is off-road driving, almost invariably desert "expedition" driving, with the occasional very technical trail.

After 100k miles on the same set of BFG ATs (285/75/R16), with nary a flat or puncture or problem, it's about time to retire them.

I was set on moving up a bit in size to BFG AT/KO 315/75/R16s, and get a little more clearance, but here's the thing...I don't want to re-gear. I get maybe one mod a year in the budget, and tires will effectively blow my wad for a long while. Re-gearing probably won't happen. I don't care if the Cruiser is slow, so if that's the only issue with 315s, that's fine with me. I drive like your Grandma anyway.

My other option is to go tall/skinny, ATs or MTs in 255/85/R16, but I don't know if that will benefit either of my on- or off-road situations. And, frankly, if I'm going to essentially stick to a 33" tire, I'll just go with the 285s again.

So, considering where I drive and the type of terrain I encounter, and my lack of mod budget, do I go big, or go skinny?

Thanks for your opinions...

Go with 295 75 16's. Got a buddy running them and it does great.

Do you have hills/ mountains on a daily basis??

Nope...So Cal is not flat, but I don't drive a lot of hills on a daily basis.

Have you noticed a dip in your gas mileage?

Hankook Dynapro MT 295/75-16" 33.6" vs 33" no need to re-gear, nice looking tire too or you can always go to BFG allterrain 295's

With 90% onroad driving- the skinnier will have:

-better steering feel
-better mpg
-lighter and easier on axles

The 10% offroad means likely err on the AT tread vs MT.

You can also run some 1.25" wheel spacers if you have stock fender flares and be slightly further out than a stock tire--but still under the flare for a nice stance.

skinnier seems like a no brainer depending on how you like the looks.

I'm gonna go for Nitto Dune Grapplers 315/75/16

I love my General Grabber AT2's. I've been extremely impressed with them, and have used them in a variety of situations from very slippery sand (almost like ice) to rock to several feet of snow (about 4'). So far they've performed up to or exceeded my expectations.

Very impressed with the on road handling. I moved from a Toyo M/T to the Grabbers, and was not particularly impressed with them, I didn't care for their handling in slick conditions.

The price was right on TireRack.com too.

I have 315 MT/Rs on mine.
I put 285 Bridgestone Revos on my wife's.

Based on your description of what you do, I'd suggest the Revos.
IMO, they're a damned good tire and the price is right.

As for the mileage question, my experience has been that in city-stop-n-go driving, I get between 10 and 11 mpg. In highway driving, I average about 14 mpg. So, in a nutshell, my city driving fuel economy took a hit, but my highway driving MPG got a bump up. Without regearing, expect the speedo to differ from actual speed by about 10%...which makes approximating actual speed fairly easy.
This would be for the 315s, BTW.

I just picked up a set of 285 Dueler Revo's, great pavement manners and they have handled the snow and ice we just got in Seattle great. Can't speak for the dirt yet but others reviewed them well. If you're looking to save some monies Firestone is running a special (atleast in washington) where if you are approved for a Firestone Credit card you get 25% off tires and 10% off labor, 0% interest for 90 days. Also they offer lifetime alignments for 124.99.

BFG A/T's for sure. They're the most aggressive A/T, they don't make any noise, and they wear good, (No Brainer). Since they run kinda small, what the hell; go 315's. I somtimes wish I had chosen that size.

I'll put in a good word for the Nitto Terra Grapplers in the 295/75-R16 size. This is an excellent all-terrain tire.
Very smooth on the highway, excellent on snow/ice, and damn good off road in anything but major mud. I've got ~60,000 miles on mine and I'll replace them before next winter.
If I buy another all-terrain tire, it will be another set of Terra Grapplers.

I run Nitto TerraGrapplers, 295 75R16's. I have a lot of miles (60K?) on them and still have tread left. Will be replacing soon with the same. They work well on the road and in the snow.

My gut tells me a wider tire would be better for sand, but I dont have any experience there. Maybe someone else can comment on that.

Nitto's are a lot less expesive too, the 295's are around $164 at
Nitto Terra Grappler AT tires listed by size

hth

I still can't get over you getting 100K on a set of tires.........................

WTF?????????

I think you would be fine without the gears. You should consider weight in your selection. Excellent Reviews on the Revos Doug mentioned. Cdan put some tires on I think they are Dunlop Rovers on his wifes 80 that are closer to 34" that re light and perform well offroad. and she didn't regear. Took that truck from NM to the Rubithon and back.

The Toyo MT's I run are one of the heaviset tires and I would not have gotten them if I hadn't re-geared based on their weight.

Merry Xmas Shahram, nice to see you in tech my friend

Shahram,

I do about the same type of driving you do here in SoCal. I've been very happy with my Bridgestone Revo 285's. Very good on and off road manners. I've never had a problem with them out in Anza or up in Big Bear, snow or not. Power is still just fine...even towing. I think I've got about 55-60K on two of them and tread is still OK.

Unless you really want the look of the larger tire, stay with the 285's. Speedo gear alone corrects the speedometer error created fromt he 285's over stock 275's.

I run 315 toyo's m/t's on my daily driver. No gears. It's not like an 80 is jack rabbit to begin with. I can keep up with traffic just fine. until:

On a "long" hill, depending on pre-valing winds, I'll usually just tuck in behind someone to help with the brick effect.

Towing: I'll get there when I get there.

I was very happy with the Terra Grapplers performance and would run them again, if they came in 37".

I ran 295's my brothers run 315's, they give up slightly in highway performance, but the 315's are a big advantage on the trail. IMHO the 295's are a lame size for steep highway climbs, mine always hunted between 2nd (had to slow to keep the rpm in range) and 3rd gear (couldn't pull steep grades). The 37's that I now run climb better, they have enough "rubber overdrive" to pull grades in 2nd at ~65mph without hunting.

From my observation, wouldn't run Revo's on a rig that will see sharp rock, have seen many cut. Here most put them in the "glass sidewalls" category. But, tire needs, selection varies greatly with different terrain, wheeling areas, so that advice is worth about what you paid!:hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom