Your 60's story (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When I was young I drove my 85 Toyota 4 runner. My grandpa never gave me any crap about driving a Toyota... but my dad sure did. My grandpa was a Marine in the Pacific during WW2. When they stormed the Island of Iwo Jima a mortar hit and wounded several in his troop including himself. He was able to get them safely back to the amphibious vehicle. While he was in the hospital he met a nurse who would became his wife. Later for his bravery he was awarded a Purple Heart. My dad and I still have our differences. He loves Ford. I love Toyota and Cummins.
Maybe my grandpa gave your grandpa a hand on the ship. I never got to meet him so I don't know much about his service other than he came away somewhat bitter. He was a Ford guy as well as my dad. I grew up in Mustangs. When I bought my first car I couldn't afford a Mustang yet so I bought an 89 celica gt for 500 bucks. Dad and I started to see the light when I realized I had run the engine with no oil for over three weeks and it didn't even hesitate to get up and go. I bought my 05 Mustang one day and I was a slave to it for 5 years. I sold it when I almost crashed in a snow storm and I went back to Toyota. Land Cruiser this time. I'd rather be a slave to a rusty old Toyota than a brand new Ford.

IMG_1486.JPG

Shown above is my current FJ60 "Walt" (all my vehicles get names). I'm a "truck" guy. I've never, in my entire 46 year old life had a car as a daily driver. I've had three F150s, an 86 Bronco, and a Pathfinder before I got the Land Cruiser bug. My first LC was a1976 smurf blue FJ40 that I bought for $3k in 2000. I sold it a couple of years later because the 350 conversion that had been completed prior to my purchase was done poorly. My ex was glad to see it go...I then bought a T100 from my dad when I Nissan Pathfinder was totaled. LOVED LOVED LOVED that truck. I owned it for the six years I worked overseas and then drove it around Colorado when I came back for good for a year. Saw a CL ad for something called a "Pig". Took the future Mrs. Hog with me to check it out...it was love at first sight! The guy was looking for a truck for his son...we started talking, next thing you know, I traded my T100 with 225k miles for the Pig formerly known as "Elwood" on here for it. I daily drove this thing as my primary vehicle for a year until I realized the mag chloride that gets sprayed on the streets here was eating the poor beast alive.
Elwood.JPG

That's how I came into my current F150 for my daily driver and this was relegated to fishing and camping duty. I then met Ige (nuclearlemon) and Pighead, and for a nominal fee and all the beer I could provide, they agreed to swap the running gear from this into a straight body I found for sale in Sheridan, Wy, teaching me about Land Cruiser Karma, the mud community, and wrenching along the way. I never really connected with that pig and sold it last year. But during the time that vehicle was getting a heart transplant, I HAD to buy an FZJ80 for $1200...
Shrek.JPG

Shrek took us all over the mountains of Colorado, until a drunk driver totaled him. I still have the rig-it's getting shipped to my brother who's going to fix it and use as a daily driver. In trade, he's sending me a '92 Toyota 4x4 truck...I really liked Shrek, but I took the insurance settlement and did something I said I would never, ever do...
Photo Aug 20, 18 08 25.jpg

Sexiest vehicle I've ever owned. I named her "Pippa". Mrs. Hog wasn't feeling the name choice, but couldn't stop smiling when I drove her in it. I'd get well-heeled ladies chatting me up at stoplights. The bad thing was she was as unreliable as she was beautiful. Was. A Dodge Ram 3500 diesel hauling two cars in a trailer cornholed me on I25 not 4 months after I bought her. Totaled her. I was pissed. But I also knew I dodged a bullet. I already swapped in a better transfer case. This thing was an electrical nightmare. I bought a 94 LR Discovery to swap the 4.6L out of that into the RRC because the engine was tired. I still have the Disco-with a 4 sale sign in it. Mrs. Hog won't even drive it to the dog park she has so little trust in it...

I took the insurance money from THAT accident and bought Walt. He'd been for sale for months in Salida. PO said every week someone would call and say they were going to buy him that weekend, but never showed up. I got him for a very fair price...

Ige says I'm cursed or really screwed someone over badly to have all this bad luck. I can be an a******, but I don't screw people over... but a drunk driver and getting rear-ended within two years time is especially unlucky. As a result, I rarely drive Walt to work...

So that's my story. I've owned five Land Cruisers-six Toyotas in total. The most I ever owned at once was three. Not quite hoarding status. I'm really, really happy with Walt. I pick up my old-school ARB bumper today to combat the awful Denver Metro traffic. I need to get the clutch replaced. And I'll swap in OME Heavy springs while I'm adding the 200+ pounds of winch and bumper.

View attachment 1720952
Shown above is my current FJ60 "Walt" (all my vehicles get names). I'm a "truck" guy. I've never, in my entire 46 year old life had a car as a daily driver. I've had three F150s, an 86 Bronco, and a Pathfinder before I got the Land Cruiser bug. My first LC was a1976 smurf blue FJ40 that I bought for $3k in 2000. I sold it a couple of years later because the 350 conversion that had been completed prior to my purchase was done poorly. My ex was glad to see it go...I then bought a T100 from my dad when I Nissan Pathfinder was totaled. LOVED LOVED LOVED that truck. I owned it for the six years I worked overseas and then drove it around Colorado when I came back for good for a year. Saw a CL ad for something called a "Pig". Took the future Mrs. Hog with me to check it out...it was love at first sight! The guy was looking for a truck for his son...we started talking, next thing you know, I traded my T100 with 225k miles for the Pig formerly known as "Elwood" on here for it. I daily drove this thing as my primary vehicle for a year until I realized the mag chloride that gets sprayed on the streets here was eating the poor beast alive.
View attachment 1720973
That's how I came into my current F150 for my daily driver and this was relegated to fishing and camping duty. I then met Ige (nuclearlemon) and Pighead, and for a nominal fee and all the beer I could provide, they agreed to swap the running gear from this into a straight body I found for sale in Sheridan, Wy, teaching me about Land Cruiser Karma, the mud community, and wrenching along the way. I never really connected with that pig and sold it last year. But during the time that vehicle was getting a heart transplant, I HAD to buy an FZJ80 for $1200...
View attachment 1721010
Shrek took us all over the mountains of Colorado, until a drunk driver totaled him. I still have the rig-it's getting shipped to my brother who's going to fix it and use as a daily driver. In trade, he's sending me a '92 Toyota 4x4 truck...I really liked Shrek, but I took the insurance settlement and did something I said I would never, ever do...
View attachment 1721018
Sexiest vehicle I've ever owned. I named her "Pippa". Mrs. Hog wasn't feeling the name choice, but couldn't stop smiling when I drove her in it. I'd get well-heeled ladies chatting me up at stoplights. The bad thing was she was as unreliable as she was beautiful. Was. A Dodge Ram 3500 diesel hauling two cars in a trailer cornholed me on I25 not 4 months after I bought her. Totaled her. I was pissed. But I also knew I dodged a bullet. I already swapped in a better transfer case. This thing was an electrical nightmare. I bought a 94 LR Discovery to swap the 4.6L out of that into the RRC because the engine was tired. I still have the Disco-with a 4 sale sign in it. Mrs. Hog won't even drive it to the dog park she has so little trust in it...

I took the insurance money from THAT accident and bought Walt. He'd been for sale for months in Salida. PO said every week someone would call and say they were going to buy him that weekend, but never showed up. I got him for a very fair price...

Ige says I'm cursed or really screwed someone over badly to have all this bad luck. I can be an a******, but I don't screw people over... but a drunk driver and getting rear-ended within two years time is especially unlucky. As a result, I rarely drive Walt to work...

So that's my story. I've owned five Land Cruisers-six Toyotas in total. The most I ever owned at once was three. Not quite hoarding status. I'm really, really happy with Walt. I pick up my old-school ARB bumper today to combat the awful Denver Metro traffic. I need to get the clutch replaced. And I'll swap in OME Heavy springs while I'm adding the 200+ pounds of winch and bumper.
Gotta give ya a hand with those names. I dig the name Shrek being green and all. Didn’t look like a monster but good name choice anyhow. Definitely dodged a few bullets along the way. Great story.

Gotta give ya a hand with those names. I dig the name Shrek being green and all. Didn’t look like a monster but good name choice anyhow. Definitely dodged a few bullets along the way. Great story.
Sad to hear what happened to Pig, aka Elwood. He was awesome!

Great thread! Some very cool story's. Mines boring. I wanted a nice 60 for a long time, found one on Mud in Atlanta, pulled my trailer down and brought her home around 5 years ago.
I love my 60 and love the Mud comradery!

Thanks! Naming the vehicles is a lot more fun than saying "I'm taking the '60" or "the Ford". My pets get people names too. That's Kevin, Rita, and Pete in the first picture (from smallest to largest).

Great thread! Some very cool story's. Mines boring. I wanted a nice 60 for a long time, found one on Mud in Atlanta, pulled my trailer down and brought her home around 5 years ago.
I love my 60 and love the Mud comradery!
Well now that you have it you can start your own story.

Well now that you have it you can start your own story.

Indeed!!
I'm hoping one of my daughters (or SIL's) will want it some day. They both love it but both are very nerved up to drive a stick.

Thanks! Naming the vehicles is a lot more fun than saying "I'm taking the '60" or "the Ford". My pets get people names too. That's Kevin, Rita, and Pete in the first picture (from smallest to largest).
At my house it's "The '71", "The '76", "The '84", "The '86", "The '89", etc. We still call the '01 Silverado "The Grey Truck" (it's actually Pewter) and the '09 Silverado "The White Truck". "The 01" and "The '09" just don't roll off the tongue like the others.

I can't recall when it was, exactly, that I decided a 60-series was my dream car. It was probably sometime around the age of 18, shortly after some douche stole the doors off my Jeep and I realized the girlfriend and I couldn't fully...ahem...express our love for one another...in the back of a Jeep. So, I began the hunt for my first LC and a few months that felt like years later, I had her. She was a blue '88 FJ62 with low miles, tons of rust, and I loved her from the second I laid eyes on her. I named her Gertrude and we spent 4 magical years together. She moved us to CO in 2012, hauled alpaca manure for the garden, and then we essentially lived out of her for 2 months while driving all over CA and the PNW. Upon return to Denver, she had sprung multiple leaks of god-knows-what, so I begrudgingly sold her, knowing I wasn't up to the task of fixing her nor footing the bill for her repair. I sold her to a guy in Morrison, CO, and I've been on the lookout for her ever since, to no avail. If anyone knows of her whereabouts, please, let me know. Hell hath no fury like a LC scorned.

Two years passed while I drove our trusty Corolla, Sloane Peterson, until the itch to crawl down the highway at the speed of smell hit once more. Now in Colorado and on the favorable side of the LC hype, I secured a copper brown metallic '84 FJ60 with 220k miles and no rust in a matter of weeks, for $5000, and named her Sue. We never really hit it off, for whatever reason, and like a momma bird that eats her young, I sold her a few months after I bought her and that was that. Back into the loving embrace of the '99 Corolla.

Fast forward to about a month ago, we were driving in our state-issued Subaru when out of nowhere a large limb fell off a truck and impaled our radiator. We had been surviving as a one car family for quite some time at this point, Sloane Peterson having crossed the rainbow bridge in 2016 with a bad engine knock. So now we were a zero car family which, when you're 10 miles from the nearest place that sells alcohol and you work from home with your SO, is no bueno. Lynelle, my saint of girlfriend/wife/best friend, looked at me in her haze of sobriety and said "We should probably just get another Land Cruiser." Copulation ensued, because how can your resist that sentence coming from the mouth of the woman you love, Craigslist was scoured, and two weeks ago I brought Juanita, our New Mexican desert princess, home. She's an '85 FJ60 with 190k miles, virtually no rust, and she's awesome. We've bonded nicely and I'm imagining driving her until I cross the rainbow bridge myself.

I can't recall when it was, exactly, that I decided a 60-series was my dream car. It was probably sometime around the age of 18, shortly after some douche stole the doors off my Jeep and I realized the girlfriend and I couldn't fully...ahem...express our love for one another...in the back of a Jeep. So, I began the hunt for my first LC and a few months that felt like years later, I had her. She was a blue '88 FJ62 with low miles, tons of rust, and I loved her from the second I laid eyes on her. I named her Gertrude and we spent 4 magical years together. She moved us to CO in 2012, hauled alpaca manure for the garden, and then we essentially lived out of her for 2 months while driving all over CA and the PNW. Upon return to Denver, she had sprung multiple leaks of god-knows-what, so I begrudgingly sold her, knowing I wasn't up to the task of fixing her nor footing the bill for her repair. I sold her to a guy in Morrison, CO, and I've been on the lookout for her ever since, to no avail. If anyone knows of her whereabouts, please, let me know. Hell hath no fury like a LC scorned.

Two years passed while I drove our trusty Corolla, Sloane Peterson, until the itch to crawl down the highway at the speed of smell hit once more. Now in Colorado and on the favorable side of the LC hype, I secured a copper brown metallic '84 FJ60 with 220k miles and no rust in a matter of weeks, for $5000, and named her Sue. We never really hit it off, for whatever reason, and like a momma bird that eats her young, I sold her a few months after I bought her and that was that. Back into the loving embrace of the '99 Corolla.

Fast forward to about a month ago, we were driving in our state-issued Subaru when out of nowhere a large limb fell off a truck and impaled our radiator. We had been surviving as a one car family for quite some time at this point, Sloane Peterson having crossed the rainbow bridge in 2016 with a bad engine knock. So now we were a zero car family which, when you're 10 miles from the nearest place that sells alcohol and you work from home with your SO, is no bueno. Lynelle, my saint of girlfriend/wife/best friend, looked at me in her haze of sobriety and said "We should probably just get another Land Cruiser." Copulation ensued, because how can your resist that sentence coming from the mouth of the woman you love, Craigslist was scoured, and two weeks ago I brought Juanita, our New Mexican desert princess, home. She's an '85 FJ60 with 190k miles, virtually no rust, and she's awesome. We've bonded nicely and I'm imagining driving her until I cross the rainbow bridge myself.

Great story, glad you and Juanita found each other!
My fav though....naming the Corolla, Sloan Peterson. That's funny!

Big Ferris Bueller fans in our family. We've also recently acquired an '87 Plymouth Horizon and named it Abe Frohman.

Congrats on Juanita. I have to ask though
alpaca manure for the garden, and then we essentially lived out of her for 2 months while driving all over CA and the PNW
Did the alpaca manure come before the living out of the 60? :eek::poop:

I LOVE the names. Sloan Peterson! hehe...Sorry to hear the Corolla crossed the rainbow bridge. GREAT story...

'87 Horizon!! I gotta ask, does it run, is there a story, why?

Haha, sadly, no. We used to have a giant 1978 Ford E250 4x4 USPS van that was no longer running and we needed to do something with. A dude offered us a trade on it, straight up, so we took it. It's a project for sure, but there's no ih8mud for Horizons, so it's been slow going. It's pretty sweet though.

Congrats on Juanita. I have to ask though
Did the alpaca manure come before the living out of the 60? :eek::poop:

Haha, unfortunately not. BUT, and this is way off topic now, alpaca manure really doesn't smell all that bad and is super good for garden plants. If you're gonna have to haul the s*** INSIDE the car, that's the way to go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom