x (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

easiest is to find a good used one.

what year?

what location?

I'm hoping to get Lance on board to make a run of long range tanks. We'll see what happens.

Since your max tire size is 31" :rolleyes: you wanna keep that tank up as high as possible. I'd refurbish the stock tank - boil, patch, gas tank liner paint..... You're gonna be draggin that :pig: tail all over the trail :lol: I you were goin to run *decent sized tires, like 37's, I'd say go w/ a 20 gal. S-10 tank cuz it fits perfect in the framerails. You'll need to adjust the inlet plumbing & build a skid ;p

<EDIT>
Lemme clarify somethin here - the fuel inlet on the S-10 tank is on the pass side frontmost part & I didn't try to rotate the tank around for a stock :pig: gas inlet location. So this *may not work very good as it would put the tank inlet to the rear for the stock config. You'd end up w/ a funky inlet hose.

Last edited:
If you end up going with a stock used tank, beware that there is a change in the tanks, so you might be limited to early tanks. I think dieselcruiserhead on the board discovered that late ones dont fit?

I would really be interested in getting a bigger tank, might be time to get a few made.

As for retaining the stock tire carrier, I dont think any extended range tank will allow for it, since the extra volume comes from using the area that the spare tire carrier occupies...

I'm being decisive on this one as far as intended usage:clap: Makes a change from the 10 year extra cab:lol::doh::censor:

No reason for something more than 31s for a non-hardcore wheeler. This will see extreme daily driving and hardcore log roads:flipoff2::meh: That and the occasional light duty towing.

If the S10 tank fits, I'd take a wild guess that a suburban tank would fit also:idea: Time to pull a tape measure out:lol:

A 33 fits under ther just fine...

:)

If you end up going with a stock used tank, beware that there is a change in the tanks, so you might be limited to early tanks. I think dieselcruiserhead on the board discovered that late ones dont fit?

I would really be interested in getting a bigger tank, might be time to get a few made.

As for retaining the stock tire carrier, I dont think any extended range tank will allow for it, since the extra volume comes from using the area that the spare tire carrier occupies...

That is my understanding too, as far as the long range tanks go. A roof rack and a few spare cans worked out better economically for me.

I have a spare later model tank by the way...

a good radiator shop can boil and coat it for you.

When did the change take place?

I have an early tank (73) in a later 55. They will interchange. Only thing I had to do was run the return over to the fuel vent line with a t fitting. And add a nipple to the fuel feed.

Gas tank interchangeability?

I'm not sure when the tank changes occurred but my '72 tank does not look like it'll bolt up to the '78. The mounting system is completely different. The '72 tank would have to be re-drilled because the bolt holes to the mounting points are different. The '72 mounts to the floor of the body and the '78 mounts to brackets that bolt to the frame.

Trollhole did you have to do any drilling for mount placements?

I'm not sure when the tank changes occurred but my '72 tank does not look like it'll bolt up to the '78. The mounting system is completely different. The '72 tank would have to be re-drilled because the bolt holes to the mounting points are different. The '72 mounts to the floor of the body and the '78 mounts to brackets that bolt to the frame.

Trollhole did you have to do any drilling for mount placements?

Nope. My tank is from Chuck Stewarts (LC_Hamma) 73. Fit right in. Just had to run a fuel return to the fill vent.

So maybe it's 72 and below that have the funky tank. Would like to see picture of one.

Well, Pighead has one of those old, boxy 50-sumpthin gallon pigtanks sitting in his basement. Had to have it cleaned and welded, 15 years ago...
There is a very good shop in Downtown Sac...on 11th street at G or H, that will clean and weld on gastanks.

Edit: Porter-Sprague...it's on 12th street at G...

Last edited:
Tank years

According to the $OR site here are the compatible years for gas tanks:

9/69 - 9/71
9/71 - 8/76
8/76 - 7/80

Looks like I'm in the market for the last version.

Well, Pighead has one of those old, boxy 50-sumpthin gallon pigtanks sitting in his basement. Had to have it cleaned and welded, 15 years ago....

Are you offering this to the pig community? If so I'll gladly take it!

It would probably do more good in someone's Pig than sitting in my basement...
it's an ancient tank, with the 4 boltholes that go all the way through....Probably not even baffled, and one of those boltholes had to welded up at the bottom, where it leaked, where the dent is, 'cause it had no skidplate...

Pighead I'm interested too but since this is Lil'John's thread and he's looking for a tank I thought he should be first in line. Not trying to hijack the thread.

Lil John, just removed a 69 body and put it on a 79 frame; the tanks are very different; 69s bolt to the body; 79s to the frame; you will need an early one if yours is not fixable; :hmm:the one off my 79 is rotted and plan on using the one off the 69 on it if I can rig it, would prefer to have a long range if something can be done with Lance or through Cruiser-Guy; you have dibs on mine if I can go with a long range one......am in AL. so shipping might be a minus factor; believe 3_pups had one a while back:cheers:

LOu

Norm, you might try cruiserparts....believe they are parting out a couple of 79s

Lou

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom