X-Terrains in snow (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

landtank

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
landtankproducts.com
Just got back from Elmira NY today. The trip was very hazzardous driving. Near zero temps, overcast so no sun and wind blown snow on the roads. Part of the trip was on Rt 88 east. My first encounter with an accident could have been a total.

Rt 88 is a 2 lane devided highway with a shoulder on both sides. I made a slight turn and started decending a hill when I realised cars were piled up all over the road about 1000 feet ahead near the bottom of the hill. Until now the road had been totally clear but I was now entering some hilly sections and the conditions changed quickly.

In the left lane was 2 cars and a pickup truck in a pile. The 2 cars were in the left shoulder and the pickup was sideways accross the road taking up half of the right lane. 40 feet passed them was another pile of 4 cars on the right side taking up the right lane and that shoulder. These were the cars that went around the first bunch and landed on the right.

At that time I was travelling at about 65 mph. What I needed to do was to drive into the right shoulder to get around the first pile and then swerve over to the left lane to avoid the others. There was a guy waving to get my attention and people started running for safety as it seemed I was next in line :(.

I jambed on the brakes, there was a slight skid sideways then the ABS kicked in. By the time I got to the first pile, the truck had slowed to about 30 mph and I effortlessly negotiated the S turn flawlessly. I can still remember the look of disbelief on that guys face as I drove by.

There is NO WAY those BFG ATs even when new would have gotten me out of that situation. I passed through 3 more accidents, in fact one unfolded right in front of me. All totaled about 30 cars trashed from what I saw.

After this days driving I'd recommend these tires for anyone driving in snowy conditions.

Haven't had an adrenaline rush like that in 12 years, almost had to pull over from the shaking.

this be a Michelin, correct?
E

well done!
but then that'll mean all these bystanders will now be more competition when I go around looking for an 80, eh? :p
E

Know the feeling. It's totally awesome. Way to represent.

By the way, one of those sorry saps on the side of the road called me up and asked that I leave you a message... "thanks for the ride showoff" and it seems like there was something else.. oh yeh ":flipoff2:".

So anyways, what happened 12 years ago, cleaning lady tell you she was pregnant?
Haa....
Haa....

(Nelson Laugh)

:beer:
Rookie2

Glad you're ok Landtank. Don't need any
death.gif
. Don't know anything about those tires, but glad you made your final destination ok.

dang, Junk has transmogrified into Rookie2.. :-\
E

From the "mine's bigger" dept: You haven't seen snow prowess until you've driven Michelin Arctic Alpin SUVs on glare ice. We were in a pack of cars recently when we entered ice and I had to ease off the brakes and gently steer to miss the swerving vehicles around me due to a red light. Things were so controlled I reached over and hit the emergency flashers, then continued to modulate my braking so the cars behind me frantically sliding all over wouldn't rear end me and those further back could get on their brakes. At the end, two had bashed the curb repeatedly (crowned road), one spun and two next to me slid through the red light that got us all going. We came to a normal stop with some Kindermusik going and only one child looked up from reading. My heart rate was probably 180, though.....

DougM

It drizzled a spot of water here today and smeared my windshield for a bit. :flipoff2:

Had to wear my coat (one arm, of course :rolleyes: ).

Lucky to get out of the driveway without locking up. (lumps)

I love the desert. ;)

Doug, those types of situations don't seem to bother me that much. Kind of being part of a disorganized ballet routine. Just some bumps and bruises if there is contact. I was in one several years back on RT95. A pickup with balled tires spun out at about 30mph. Started a chain reaction. Seven other cars started sliding all over the 4 lane road and there i was driving right through the middle of it. As I was threading the needle between the last two cars to safety one clipped my rear fender. The kicker was that the truck who started the whole thing never got touched.

yeah, well, I think I'm goin' to the beach for a little dip...
Should I take sunscreen or not?
hmmm....
:D
Eric in the PRK

[quote author=e9999 link=board=2;threadid=10197;start=msg91330#msg91330 date=1074365223]
yeah, well, I think I'm goin' to the beach for a little dip...
Should I take sunscreen or not?
hmmm....
:D
Eric in the PRK

[/quote]

Don't forget the OEM Curtains as sunshades :D

Mike

sorry Mike, you ain't never gonna see me in a truck with pink curtains... :slap:
E

[quote author=e9999 link=board=2;threadid=10197;start=msg91342#msg91342 date=1074366541]
sorry Mike, you ain't never gonna see me in a truck with pink curtains... :slap:
E
[/quote]

Not pink :slap:

Curtains matching the car color :D

Mike

[quote author=e9999 link=board=2;threadid=10197;start=msg91057#msg91057 date=1074313390]
dang, Junk has transmogrified into Rookie2.. :-\
E
[/quote]

I'm just an amature compared to the Junkster.

Seriously though, this forum has been a tremendous help to me and I'm relatively new to be spouting off, so be sure to let me know if I get out of line.

:flipoff2:
Rookie2

[quote author=Rookie2 link=board=2;threadid=10197;start=msg91386#msg91386 date=1074372929]
I'm just an amature compared to the Junkster.

Seriously though, this forum has been a tremendous help to me and I'm relatively new to be spouting off, so be sure to let me know if I get out of line.

:flipoff2:
Rookie2
[/quote]

You are out of line :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Just kidding :D

Mike

Rookie2,

Don't worry, there's an old cricket bat that isn't being used right now. :D

-B-

I wish someone would hit me...more money for mods...

"ouch, my neck!!" :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom