Wanted WTB Land Cruiser fender script (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got three, one broken, two look complete (with three tits), missing the locking collars/washers, but you can probably find those new.

Let me know if you're still looking.

Dan

View attachment 2611470
I’ll take one unbroken one. PM sent. J Mack can work his magic on the others.

Last edited:
PayPal sent. Thanks...just in time. Paint goes on next week.

LC-001.JPG

Sorry guys, took me a few. This is ready for me to 3D print to verify shape and mounting boss location. Not long now. Still planning to share the file as I've done before. Thanks to @scrapdaddy for the loaner (and again sorry for the d-lay). Calvin

LC-002.JPG

Folks

Here is what I know: I've built several 3D printed prototypes dialing in the front script and the posts on the backside.

Emblem-001.jpg

I'm realizing that even if I nail the distance between posts (which I think I have within ±1mm) there is no guarantee that the distance would remain "right" in the final metal 3D printed version. Parts shrink and warp slightly during print. Posts that are close but not quite right render the part useless... in fact I've heard that very gripe about the aftermarket solutions out there.

Weighing different options and tradeoffs, I feel like the best move is to use the aforementioned Very High Bond (VHB) tape to affix the emblem to your truck. But there's a catch here - this particular emblem has extremely limited area to affix the tape. If it had a rectangular backer, like this newer emblem, we'd be golden:

Emblem-002.jpg

Giving it a shot. I'm modeling in a bezel similar to the newer badge. The purists may feel this an unacceptable deviation - in response I'm glad to offer up the version with posts as well. Regardless, here is what I'm proposing:

VHB-001.JPG

VHB-002.JPG

The backside has a .030" recess, that's just over 1/2" wide. So a nice unbroken strip of 1/16" thick VHB would live in that gap and stick 'er on to your fender.

Is this of interest to everyone? Hit me with feedback. Again the plan would be to offer these up on Shapeways (or similar) for metal 3D printing.

Cheers!

Calvin

Calvin,

They all look great and I'm pretty far left from a purist, so I'd rather adjust the mounting holes with a rat tail and a little two part epoxy glue on the studs. The old style script is just so cool I would hate to give that up.

Thanks for all you do making all these parts happen. I owe you a cold one. :beer:

Appreciate the feedback!

The challenge in getting correct spacing is I only have the emblem to measure, vs the fender. I believe my 74 piggy sported different emblems and the holes are not the same, but I'll double check

Anyone out there have access to those mounting holes (ie a fender with no attached emblem) that could verify distance using calipers? You can measure edge to edge then add a hole diameter. I'll post up my measurements tomorrow, but it'd be nice for someone to verify.

Thanks.

Hey Bob, were you able to pull some dimensions? Here is what I settled on by measuring the emblem - the dimensions are listed in both inches and [mm]:

1622658577785.png

Those are my measurements from the cast metal OEM emblem Ron let me borrow. Now... what I could use from you is to measure the actual spacing of the holes on the (steel) fender. Make sense?

That must be steel!! Plastic not even close!! Someone mentioned 3m tape! Thas how all new cars are done. Also look at post here for cargo vents. Those would be a good one to make.

I am impressed with the digital rendering of the emblem! How does one do the scan to digitize the part?

would love to understand this, and learn resin printing to figure out how to reproduce the side louvre things.

I need to come in the classified section more often. I have open holes on my passenger side right now, and I was just at the pig today. I'd also like to get a new emblem for my pig.

And I'm back. We had a staffing change at work and I'm carrying more water than normal. I have an idea for the emblem, call it a middle ground, between having to file out holes and losing the original intention altogether. I'll post some pics tomorrow. @Megadoomer, I could still benefit from some measurements if you want to throw calipers on those empty holes.

Finally, I'll tackle the louver question separately. We can get to a solution.

Calvin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom