Wrong air cleaner bracket on my '87 4Runner? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a weird situation on my 1987 4Runner air cleaner that I am trying to understand and fix. There's a small bracket that attaches with two screws to the MAF housing. And then, as I see in photos of other trucks, there should a bolt that goes through that bracket and into the air filter housing below. Like in the photo below, with the bolt circled in red:

1692541238421.jpeg

But on my truck, the bracket does not have a through hole, it has a tapped nut spot welded to it. It's as if a bolt is supposed to thread into it from the back side - but that corresponding part also has a nut spot welded to it. So I'm guessing that my bracket is from the wrong vehicle? I don't see this part called out separately on a parts diagram, so I'm not sure where to get the right one. Any ideas?
20230819_141657_a47f8adc4dd00d5b016aa14cdb35cd0717520c80.jpg

I'm pretty sure the previous owner put on the wrong bracket from some other model. I know I can deal with it as is, I'm only being picky because I'm trying to restore this truck and be as close to original as possible.

Yes, that's right. And I agree, the four clamps are adequate, I'm not even sure why this bracket is there. Fortunately I was able to source the right bracket through a forum buddy, so all is good again!

If you're getting that picky, aren't the air box clamps in the first pic also the correct ones, as opposed to the painted black versions in the second pic?

If you're getting that picky, aren't the air box clamps in the first pic also the correct ones, as opposed to the painted black versions in the second pic?
Yup, I'm guessing the previous owner painted the clamps. He was a real hack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom