Would you reuse this birfield? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Would you reuse this birfield?

5F18D3E0-D5F2-4E32-9FBC-4F3C5B77D7CF.jpeg

C61ED9F9-7F52-4244-BC10-DEA5B35FDEFA.jpeg

Yes. Mine looked worse than that and I ran another 30K miles on the as a DD.

The blue spots on the outside are heat treating marks, NOT overheating marks.

If you don't have any chips out of the cage and just some of the ball wear marks, you MAY hear a little clicking, but nothing catastrophic, unless you're hard core wheeling.

Truck has 190k miles...I guess I’ll gamble on putting it back in...I’ll be an axle rebuild expert after this overwhelming experience. The amount of grease and oil is amazing...

Good candidate for swapping sides.

I had someone else replace my birfs and asked for the old ones back to use as trail spares or to swap into my '92 since the birf's in there are more worn. Is there a way to tell which side they came out of? They didn't mark them. Maybe wear marks?

Yeah. Picture the joint in orientation and look in the races. There should be visibly more wear in the area where the ball is being forced during forward travel.

I had someone else replace my birfs and asked for the old ones back to use as trail spares or to swap into my '92 since the birf's in there are more worn. Is there a way to tell which side they came out of? They didn't mark them. Maybe wear marks?
They came off my drivers side axle...guess I’ll swap sides to see how many miles I get.

Were those birfs clicking before you removed them? Looks like if they weren't they probably will be soon based on the wear mark inside the races for the balls. They don't look terrible otherwise. As others have mentioned, swap them to opposite sides and the balls will run on the opposite side of the race grooves and should be quiet and keep working for a while longer.

Were those birfs clicking before you removed them? Looks like if they weren't they probably will be soon based on the wear mark inside the races for the balls. They don't look terrible otherwise. As others have mentioned, swap them to opposite sides and the balls will run on the opposite side of the race grooves and should be quiet and keep working for a while longer.
They were not clicking before I pulled them off. I checked by doing tight turns in both directions.

Any guess on how many miles I’ll get by swapping sides? Thanks for the advice.

They were not clicking before I pulled them off. I checked by doing tight turns in both directions.

Any guess on how many miles I’ll get by swapping sides? Thanks for the advice.
Depends on use and driving style.

If it's an easy DD, I'd give it another 80K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom