Working alone - tools or tips? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does anyone ever use 4 Rhino ramps to get the whole truck up and level?
Yes, frequently.

Adding: I use it for all kinds of stuff, but slider install is one where this worked great. It is especially useful for any maintenance that requires skid plate removal. I have Budbuilt stainless skids and they are VERY heavy. Having everything up and level makes it easier to remove them (with a jack where needed). It is also great for drivetrain fluid changes. I find it nearly as useful as a lift for many things - I can grab four rhino ramps and have them under the vehicle faster than I can wheel out and set up my MaxJax.

Last edited:
I have the same concern. We've hashed it out previously here on mud.

A couple of thoughts from that discussion and maybe others: the lift is tested well above the published rate in order to pass certification (150% maybe), if you remove four tires and rims as soon as you get them off the ground - you just took off hundreds of pounds. Don't have your main and LRA full, several hundred more pounds. Empty those cargo drawers - hundreds of pounds there. Next thing you know, you're well within the range.
Update - my Maxjax lift can't get my 200 fully off the ground in it's current configuration with front and rear metal bumpers, full stainless skids, partially loaded Trekbox cargo boxes, and the stock and LRA 12.5 tanks full of fuel. I must have just crossed the weight threshold.

I used it this weekend/week to do some work, and I can use it to get the suspension flexed out and the wheels just barely off the ground, but even with the rear wheels removed, the lift stalls out and can't get it any higher. I put a floor jack under the diff for extra security while I did rear springs and welded in a panhard correction kit.

It seems as though there is an internal pressure bypass that stalls the lift out over a certain weight. And I just crossed the line.

Update - my Maxjax lift can't get my 200 fully off the ground in it's current configuration with front and rear metal bumpers, full stainless skids, partially loaded Trekbox cargo boxes, and the stock and LRA 12.5 tanks full of fuel. I must have just crossed the weight threshold.

I used it this weekend/week to do some work, and I can use it to get the suspension flexed out and the wheels just barely off the ground, but even with the rear wheels removed, the lift stalls out and can't get it any higher. I put a floor jack under the diff for extra security while I did rear springs and welded in a panhard correction kit.

It seems as though there is an internal pressure bypass that stalls the lift out over a certain weight. And I just crossed the line.

Didn't know these have a limiter.

Have you scaled your 200 or know how much weight it's at?

Didn't know these have a limiter.

Have you scaled your 200 or know how much weight it's at?
I haven't put it on a scale. We don't have any around here. The nearest scale is a long drive to a nearby state. I am going to be traveling out west soon, and if stars align, hopefully I will have a chance to weigh it at a truck stop along the interstate. Someone (@linuxgod maybe) mentioned that Love's truck stops may have a weigh station. I remember seeing Love's everywhere on the highway last summer.

I haven't put it on a scale. We don't have any around here. The nearest scale is a long drive to a nearby state. I am going to be traveling out west soon, and if stars align, hopefully I will have a chance to weigh it at a truck stop along the interstate. Someone (@linuxgod maybe) mentioned that Love's truck stops may have a weigh station. I remember seeing Love's everywhere on the highway last summer.
Most of the ones I have seen have "CAT scales" somewhere on their property.

Yes, often I do find scales are often located nearby Love's. Get the catscale app. They also have a locator here

Back on the MaxJax, IIRC, they can be wired to 220V. Not saying it's safe to lift anymore weight, but this will protect the motor with less current and heat especially lifting near max. Stalling the motor can't be good for it. Maybe just a tad more performance.

Yes, often I do find scales are often located nearby Love's. Get the catscale app. They also have a locator here

Back on the MaxJax, IIRC, they can be wired to 220V. Not saying it's safe to lift anymore weight, but this will protect the motor with less current and heat especially lifting near max. Stalling the motor can't be good for it. Maybe just a tad more performance.

I second this.

Any Loves or Pilot truck station should have a scale. Use the app, makes it super easy and keeps a record

Yeah, no idea what was going on last night. The Maxjax lifted the 200 fine today.

Ah, another Harbor Freight special in my garage that I don't reach for as often. Also useful to lift the whole side of the car with one floor jack.

Looking at this thing (after buying it), it’d be perfect for solo slider installation! I made sue with some wood, but this thing would’ve been great!

Looking at this thing (after buying it), it’d be perfect for solo slider installation! I made sue with some wood, but this thing would’ve been great!

for sure .. or skid plates.

Like others have mentioned, I'm not a huge HF fan but for non critical and seldom used tools I will shop there. These magnetic lights really help you see what you are doing. Get 2, charge 1 while using the other. They come with a cheap Chinese 18650 battery with only a few hours of working time on high, but swap in a $10 Panasonic and it will last almost a full day.
As it happens, this light is on sale at HF this coming weekend for $20 (1/3 off). Though I haven't found a Panasonic replacement battery anywhere. All I see on Amazon and eBay are no name options. Any link for a quality 18650 battery?

As it happens, this light is on sale at HF this coming weekend for $20 (1/3 off). Though I haven't found a Panasonic replacement battery anywhere. All I see on Amazon and eBay are no name options. Any link for a quality 18650 battery?

I have had pretty good luck with Panasonic, but other higher end brands work too. Huge difference in how long they go before needing a recharge compared to whatever cheap Chinese battery comes with these lights. You need a "button top" 18650, but I went with the in stock non button top and found some rare earth magnets on ebay that will work as a "button."

69F6DB07-360B-49C0-92CB-965FE750FE28.jpeg

I have had pretty good luck with Panasonic, but other higher end brands work too. Huge difference in how long they go before needing a recharge compared to whatever cheap Chinese battery comes with these lights. You need a "button top" 18650, but I went with the in stock non button top and found some rare earth magnets on ebay that will work as a "button."
That's great. Thanks for sharing that.

Great thread. I too use HFT stuff sparingly but have no ragrets on my Daytona floor jack and 72" US General box. Borrowed a trans dolly to rebuild the split case on my 60 and it was a life saver. Only thing not mentioned already that I use all the time is a cheap LED shop light and magnet hooks to flood an engine bay. I have great lighting in my home garage for my needs but there are always dark corners I need to see in. I have a second strip that is drug around and used under vehicles.

PBaAz4h.jpg

88IW0w7.jpg

QuickJack. Love the thing! I have the 7000 lb model.
View attachment 3277547
View attachment 3277545

Headlamp. I have 3 of these, one stays in the truck, 2 for the garage so I can alternate charging.

https://a.co/d/9EuBJDK

Cradle I made for removing and installing the very heavy BudBuilt SS engine skid, fits on my floor jack.

View attachment 3277549
View attachment 3277548

Another vote for brake pressure bleeder. Mine is homemade using a garden sprayer. I've used it countless times.

View attachment 3277547
View attachment 3277545

Headlamp. I have 3 of these, one stays in the truck, 2 for the garage so I can alternate charging.

Cradle I made for removing and installing the very heavy BudBuilt SS engine skid, fits on my floor jack.

View attachment 3277549
View attachment 3277548

Another vote for brake pressure bleeder. Mine is homemade using a garden sprayer. I've used it countless times.
View attachment 3277547
View attachment 3277545

View attachment 3277549
View attachment 3277548

Love the Budbuilt skid cradle....How often do you find yourself removing and installing your BudBuilt SS skids? And why?

I remove mine for maintenance - removing mud and stuff, lubing driveshafts, etc.

A7D372FC-5C86-45A7-B914-43C353488D73.jpeg
B7710FB6-4F70-4227-BA0E-0CBAB0D46709.jpeg

Great thread. I too use HFT stuff sparingly but have no ragrets on my Daytona floor jack and 72" US General box. Borrowed a trans dolly to rebuild the split case on my 60 and it was a life saver. Only thing not mentioned already that I use all the time is a cheap LED shop light and magnet hooks to flood an engine bay. I have great lighting in my home garage for my needs but there are always dark corners I need to see in. I have a second strip that is drug around and used under vehicles.

PBaAz4h.jpg

88IW0w7.jpg
Who made that rear bumper? Post a full pic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom