Working alone - tools or tips? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
I often work on projects alone, and if you also do this, you probably have tips, tricks, tools, jigs, etc. I thought it might be fun to pass some of this information around the 'mud family.

If you have anything that you think others might find helpful, this could be a place to share it.

Simple, fancy, complex, whatever, we can all learn from each other.

Last edited:
Here's a new tool I found, it is handy when you need to hold a nut, bolt, washer, etc. in a small space, hard to reach while attaching the corresponding bit with the other hand, that sort of thing.

It is sold direct by the small USA manufacturer on their direct to consumer website.

2F4E6970-239C-4AAB-A23B-B04A733F8C3B.jpeg
5C62D86E-839F-4ED8-B1D3-59B0746D5868.jpeg
57B717D6-D4D9-4DC1-A917-7470A38331BF.jpeg

Last edited:
A hydraulic lift table has saved my back more than I can relate, this one is a cheapy from harbor freight:

8BE37FCC-83ED-4AB2-8C38-DDAF91734222.jpeg
888BCCC0-067B-4CEB-B031-B5A0B2F1D5EB.jpeg
B55BC1EF-42EE-4201-BB32-7C3E64572DF9.jpeg

Same idea, but when I had a motorcycle lift table handy (used to be into motorcycles):
F29C81D0-62F8-4B0D-9175-1A9B5D31A8C5.jpeg

This little thing is relatively new to me, another harbor freight cheapo (although there are plenty of similar offerings at a higher price). This makes anything where you need to remove wheels so much easier.

8D5595AD-6543-4E2B-AF27-1398A2E96FEF.jpeg
69830970-2898-4C66-B6F7-0EFD13D1897F.jpeg

@CharlieS I like the way you roll. Lots of the same tools. Maybe for the same reasons...

Separately, we need more pics of your LC200!

1679159112820.png

Not really a tool, but a safety thing for working alone in a detached garage is a baby monitor. When either of us is in the garage doing something alone, we can communicate back and forth with the other person in the house. If the swearing in the garage gets too intense, we can easily ask about bruises or blood loss.

Not really a tool, but a safety thing for working alone in a detached garage is a baby monitor. When either of us is in the garage doing something alone, we can communicate back and forth with the other person in the house. If the swearing in the garage gets too intense, we can easily ask about bruises or blood loss.
Reminds me about having a first aid kit handy. LRA install... Prybar, meet forehead.

913864FD-CADA-483F-AE90-5F62D78D7533.jpeg

Here's another one - another harbor freight tool - transmission scissor jack. I've use this for all sorts of lighter duty r&r projects like transmissions, differentials, that sort of thing. Sometimes I remove the casters and put it on a lift table or motorcycle table to let it work under a low lift.

(Note: @TeCKis300 has the same tool in his pic above. Great minds! :) )
00DE2030-05B6-40CB-B8FC-64F6CA02F7EF.jpeg

Last edited:
Another one that is arguably unnecessary. Someone taught me the gravity bleed technique and it seems to work reasonably well too. I used to always bleed brakes with a helper and the pump, pump, hold, crack the bleeder approach. Now I just fill the brake fluid reservoir, attach the motive bleeder with a Toyota cap adapter and pump in a few psi, then go crack the bleeder. Just make sure to top off the reservoir so no air is introduced.

2A6402AC-CFD3-4277-B5C7-170D2A6A10B9.jpeg

255F41A2-C452-4398-BA50-C19948453F0C.jpeg

Side note: although I have posted a bunch of harbor freight tools, I'm actually not much of a fan. We only recently got one in my area. My perception is that some things are a reasonable bargain - like their tool chests. I don't need snap on or mac as a diy guy, but decent slides and sturdy build for a reasonable price is nice. I'll buy tools that I use infrequently, are one time use (like a hammer drill to install my lift), but I don't buy their hand or power tools. I will never trust their jack stands or anything that might risk life safety. But for helper items like a lift table, transmission jack, wheel dolly, etc, that I use rarely and don't risk my life under, they're passable and affordable. In general, I prefer quality tools and will usually "buy once, cry once".

Last edited:
This thread is a good idea. And I agree that HF tools have their place. They're generally not fantastic, but they can be quite good for the right application. I just cleaned up and lubed up my low profile HF jack this weekend. It's been going strong for 10 years now, and it has gotten quite a bit of use. I ended up taking my HF jack stands back to them after the recall and just returned them for cash. I bought some Torin jack stands with the double safety pin mechanism. I have not found the HF Icon products to be worth the money. Sunex, Tekton and Gear Wrench from Amazon are cheaper and just as good, IMHO.

Another one that is arguably unnecessary. Someone taught me the gravity bleed technique and it seems to work reasonably well too. I used to always bleed brakes with a helper and the pump, pump, hold, crack the bleeder approach. Now I just fill the brake fluid reservoir, attach the motive bleeder with a Toyota cap adapter and pump in a few psi, then go crack the bleeder. Just make sure to top off the reservoir so no air is introduced.

View attachment 3276302
View attachment 3276303

Game changer for bleeding brakes!

This little thing is relatively new to me, another harbor freight cheapo (although there are plenty of similar offerings at a higher price). This makes anything where you need to remove wheels so much easier.

View attachment 3275685View attachment 3275686

I think its time for one of these too. Tire rotations with 100lb 37"s make me hurt the next day. Awesome thread. Keep the ideas coming

Like others have mentioned, I'm not a huge HF fan but for non critical and seldom used tools I will shop there. These magnetic lights really help you see what you are doing. Get 2, charge 1 while using the other. They come with a cheap Chinese 18650 battery with only a few hours of working time on high, but swap in a $10 Panasonic and it will last almost a full day.

View attachment 3276302
View attachment 3276303

LOL, are we stuck in some funny Matrix where we are working out of the same garage? I have so many of the same tools including that Motiv bleeder. :beer:

I did sneak into @grinchy 's garage to ahem, borrow his calipers.

Everyone should have a breaker bar. I bought a 4’ piece of black iron pipe from Hone Depot for cheap, and just slip that over my ratchet when I can’t get a bolt loose and need extra leverage. Score +1 for physics

I often work on projects alone, and if you also do this, you probably have tips, tricks, tools, jigs, etc. I thought it might be fun to pass some of this information around the 'mud family.

If you have anything that you think others might find helpful, this could be a place to share it.

Simple, fancy, complex, whatever, we can all learn from each other.

Excellent Thread !

QuickJack. Love the thing! I have the 7000 lb model.
PXL_20211114_165656512.jpg

IMG_20190602_234216.jpg

Headlamp. I have 3 of these, one stays in the truck, 2 for the garage so I can alternate charging.

https://a.co/d/9EuBJDK

Cradle I made for removing and installing the very heavy BudBuilt SS engine skid, fits on my floor jack.

PXL_20211001_162557783.jpg

PXL_20211001_162707170.jpg

Another vote for brake pressure bleeder. Mine is homemade using a garden sprayer. I've used it countless times.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom