Working alone - tools or tips? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Amazon product ASIN B00QGXSODA
I used this Topside Creeper to replace the starter on my 100 series, but ended up selling it because it was too big to store in my garage. It worked pretty well, but was uncomfortable to use for very long.

Amazon product ASIN B00QGXSODA
I used this Topside Creeper to replace the starter on my 100 series, but ended up selling it because it was too big to store in my garage. It worked pretty well, but was uncomfortable to use for very long.

Oooh…. I’ve never seen one of those before. Thanks for posting

magnetic sockets are your friend. Also a screwdriver magnetizer will help with dropped fasteners

This thread has got me thinking about actually getting the 2 post lift I have always just dreamed about. I’m thinking something like a BendPak XPR-10XLS but only because Jay Leno owns one, I don’t know squat about lifts.

I’d have a range of vehicles from a Corolla and a Rav to a taco and Tundra in addition to the 200. From what I’ve read an asymmetric lift isn’t good with short wheel bases. I like the idea of asymmetric style making it easier to open doors but I’ve never used one. If I’m going from Corolla to Tundra, do I need to stay with symmetric?
Whatever lift you decide, make sure it's ALI certified. I have a derek weaver W-PRO 10 2 post that I purchased for its design. It can be used in asym / sym style.

Spot-Rite__03767.1556654479.jpg

I also have 2 pole jacks as extra insurance when extremely heavy vehicles are on the lift to prevent it from shaking if Im replacing really rusted components

Correction on my previous comment, its the 12 ton HFT jack stands that had the recall, not the 6

Was just in my garage and noticed they are 12 ton

Random FYI

magnetic sockets are your friend. Also a screwdriver magnetizer will help with dropped fasteners
My wife got me these which are sort of neat. Each one has a rare earth magnet inside.

6CE33225-9465-4C45-A5D1-40F10D63D4B2.jpeg

Whatever lift you decide, make sure it's ALI certified. I have a derek weaver W-PRO 10 2 post that I purchased for its design. It can be used in asym / sym style.

Spot-Rite__03767.1556654479.jpg

I also have 2 pole jacks as extra insurance when extremely heavy vehicles are on the lift to prevent it from shaking if Im replacing really rusted components
I have some of those screw jack supports that I had with a full height lift that I've held onto with the idea of cutting them down for my maxjax. They definitely come in handy for lots of things!

D5542402-6AAC-47C1-8EF0-F342E820FD1B.jpeg

I have some of those screw jack supports that I had with a full height lift that I've held onto with the idea of cutting them down for my maxjax. They definitely come in handy for lots of things!

View attachment 3282477

Absolutely! These things are worth their weight in gold!

Regardless of what vehicle we have on the lift, we always use one of these fore and aft with slight pressure, so remove any wiggle while vehicle in the air.

They also work good for other things like this:

ALSO, Those blue Irwin quick clamps help out on a lot of stuff when working solo

roofinstalled2_FORUM.jpg

Last edited:
I shall be asking for those Irwin clamps for Xmas.

Correction on my previous comment, its the 12 ton HFT jack stands that had the recall, not the 6

Was just in my garage and noticed they are 12 ton

Random FYI
Harbor Freight will accept any of their older jack stands, made at any time, for a cash refund or store credit I believe. They have it on their website:

I took two pairs of jack stands in for return, even though they were not on the recall list. They gave me cash, no problem. What happened is that they issued the recall, and then some of the welds in the replacement jack stands were not up to standards. So, to try and gain back customer confidence, they just issued a broad edict that they will take back any HF jack stands. I have read online that some customers have had a hard time getting HF to honor the return policy, but it's right there on the website that it's at customer discretion (not store/manager discretion). I had no trouble at all.

So, if you have some older HF jack stands that you don't trust or just want to upgrade, take yours in and they should take care of you.

Reminds me about having a first aid kit handy. LRA install... Prybar, meet forehead.

View attachment 3276244
Yes, SAFETY should be your first concern when working alone, as, in case of an accident, it might take some time before somebody finds you to help:
Safety shoes, safety goggles, gloves, cellphone for emergency calls in the pocket. Always. First aid kit and fire extinguisher at hand,
Sturdy jack stands and chocks to secure the vehicle when working under it. Never have it just on a jack.
A strap on the ceiling to secure the hood.
Good ventilation when working with solvents, filter mask, when it gets intense (ask my how I know: I passed out from solvents when painting my frame).
A vice and some clamps to hold stuff. Never use power tools on items that are not clamped and might start spinning or launching off if some drillbit or cutting wheel binds.

Even better: A fridge with some cool drinks and beers to attract friends to join. Well you will probably not get that much done, but its more fun and so much safer 😉
Cheers Ralf.

I'm bald and I frequently whack my head on the bottom side of a vehicle when working in the garage. Most often when crawling out from underneath. Thinking about starting to wear a nice cushy beanie just to lessen the impact a little :eek:

I shall be asking for those Irwin clamps f
Harbor Freight will accept any of their older jack stands, made at any time, for a cash refund or store credit I believe. They have it on their website:

I took two pairs of jack stands in for return, even though they were not on the recall list. They gave me cash, no problem. What happened is that they issued the recall, and then some of the welds in the replacement jack stands were not up to standards. So, to try and gain back customer confidence, they just issued a broad edict that they will take back any HF jack stands. I have read online that some customers have had a hard time getting HF to honor the return policy, but it's right there on the website that it's at customer discretion (not store/manager discretion). I had no trouble at all.

So, if you have some older HF jack stands that you don't trust or just want to upgrade, take yours in and they should take care of you.

Thanks for the info

I had no problem with them taking my old stands. They even asked how I learned of the recall, specifically asking if it was from a meme:
1679863650610.jpeg

Which is exactly how I learned of the reputation.

Ratchet straps help, too! They'll help line up control arms to the axles (or vice versa), or just keep stuff out of the way (think of the front knukcles if the axle is out )

My wife got me these which are sort of neat. Each one has a rare earth magnet inside.

View attachment 3282474
I got some of these and they work great for sharp nuts/bolts, but they do take up some real estate in the socket's depth. Something to consider before you go full send on any torque, etc in use. Maybe deep sockets would work better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom