Workin' on the pig and other stuff (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The club site has been slow for the last few weeks, what's happening out there?

Craig Merkey went in for neck surgery Thursday, I was down at his place earlier in the week. I don't have his cell number and his regular phone is no longer in service. I'll give his dad a call after I write the rest of this message.

Got the pig back up and running, not quite finished but almost. I installed an e-locker third member in the front axle, it came from the local junkyard. I have it mechanically installed and have all the parts to wire it up. Just today sat down and made my own wiring schematic and now just need the time to do the wiring, it won't be difficult. I resealed the knuckles while it was all apart and bit the bullet and installed a full set of Longfields- inner axles, birfs, and the splined part in the Aisin hubs. I don't figure to break anything in the front end this year.

I also installed a Toybox, bought it from a guy in Vermont, saw it on Mud. Drove up two weekends ago and brought it all home, cleaned everything up, and got it bolted in last weekend. Had to cut a bit out of the floor to clear the relocated transfer case but welding some patch panels in shouldn't be too bad. I have the shifters all installed, and the dual boot for the twin sticks arrived today. I had my rear driveshaft shortened, picked it up at the shop yesterday (front wasn't quite finished at the time) and bolted that in. The old girl started right up, no problems, and she runs (as usualy) strong. The lower gears available ought to help me crawling over rocks and stuff, eh? I went from something like 44-1 in lo-lo to 78-1 in lo-lo-lo. Looks cool with four shifters on the floor!

Now I need to figure what to do with the emergency brake. The cable on my truck is too short to reach the back of the transfer case now that it's been moved rearward about 6". I've been thinking about installing a floor-mounted handle from an FJ62 (I kept a full setup here from the truck my axles came from) and using the parking brake setup on my FJ62 rear axle. I bought new backing plates (ouch$$$) for the rear axle at the Toy dealer this week, and replacing them will be the opportune time to hook up the parking brake on the rear axle. I haven't fully decided which direction to go here yet.

Still need to make and install a crossmember under the Toybox. It may or may not be necessary but I'll feel better with some support back there- there's a lot of weight cantilevered off the back of the bellhousing right now. I also want to make and weld a set of step rails to the rocker panels to make it easier to get into the truck. Lots to do and wheeling season will be here soon.

Was such a nice day i dusted off the 70 and took her for a spin today to pick up lunch for me and Anna. That truck runs great, looks cool, and is just a unique vehicle (like the piggy, eh?).

Enough for now, let's hear what the rest of you birds have been doing all winter, wheeling season will be here before you know it. Matt Reed and I have been talking about a wheeling weekend and the one that works best for me is March 21. By then I'm hoping all the ice is gone from the woods around here- I was up on the mountain behind my place this afternoon and there's still lots of snow and ice around. Let me know how that date looks to you guys. Gary S

Last edited:
Sounds like you're bored and need a hobby Gary.

March 21st for a run sounds good to me. I don't want to run the FJC on the trails just yet (see next paragraph) so maybe I can get a seat for a day from someone. I'll bring the camera and the GPS.

Bought everything to rebuild the rear 3rd on my FJC and pulled it 2 weeks ago. I sent photos of the broken ring gear to my salesman at the steelership and did a little bit**ing. He and the general manager called me the next day. Sounds to me like a new 3rd was billed against my vehicle when I took it in for a leaking gasket 1-1/2 years ago. They thought this was the 2nd diff on my vehicle. Needless to say, they had my FJC towed back to them and I picked it up yesterday. They put in a new diff.

I'm back at work on the 40. Picked up a plasma cutter a few weeks ago. Wish I would have gotten it at the start of this project. Tub is about done (minus paint and bedliner). Just a few small things to work on there.
Waiting on a little warmer weather to POR15 the frame. Once I do that, I'll drop in the drivetrain, mock up the tub, and get the saginaw lined up. Then to figure out the parking brakes. I have all the hardware from a 62 (handbrake, cable, etc) and will have to figure out how to mount it in the 40. Don't think it'll be too difficult.

I like that lo-lo-lo of yours! Can't wait to see it on the trail!

what we've been up to this winter:lol:

sold the sami buggy awhile ago
selling my tracker this week
trying to sell my cummins dually(anyone interested?)...i found a different truck i want:grinpimp:

i pulled the sami axles out of my white sami recently, installed an fj60 rear axle, with 4.10's and a lockright, and an 85 mini truck front axle, 4.10's, locker will go in soon, rebuilt with highsteer, put some 33" tsl's on it, header and a flowmaster, and rebuilt the tcase with 6.5:1 gears...should be ready to wheel after some rear shock mounts and an anti-wrap bar

we've been buying parts and working on building a new buggy for the 09 competition season:steer:

Enough for now, let's hear what the rest of you birds have been doing all winter, wheeling season will be here before you know it. Matt Reed and I have been talking about a wheeling weekend and the one that works best for me is March 21. By then I'm hoping all the ice is gone from the woods around here- I was up on the mountain behind my place this afternoon and there's still lots of snow and ice around. Let me know how that date looks to you guys. Gary S[/QUOTE]

That is going to be a long ride for most everyone else isn't it Gary aren't you going to half way to Moab with me on the 21st :bang::flipoff2:

Gary - I'm anxious to see how your Pig does with the ToyBox; you'll really appreciate the increased control it gives you.

I am excited for your Gary! That pig is going to rule the trails....

Just for entertainment value, here is what I've been up to this winter:

Built (with Dom and John) the '85 minitruck and sold it, bought an '08 FJ Cruiser, bought and sold a Sami, bought an 81' Hilux on which I am currently building for trail duty this year... 35's, got locker and 4.10 gears and V6 carrier rear, front will be open, chevy rears, rears up front, bobbing the bed, got me my first doubler for the minitruck t-cases, plan to do some tube work armor then get the hilux to PA to wheel!

Likely coming to PA in June, hope to wheel as much as possible before then in KY and TN.

Cheers ALCA : )

glad to see that you're finding some time to bond with your swine Gary :grinpimp:

try Control Cables, Inc. for your parking brake cable.

I'll be up your way a little more again for the next few months. I just sold a tub and some parts to a guy up in Canada that came down here this weekend to pick it up. He said he'll be giving you a shout once he gets to the little stuff. Great guy, even talks like you, eh!

are you heading out with the virginia guys to Moab?

bk

We've been busy with the new house and getting things wrapped up there. Trying to get my new shop setup, which is going slowly. We are also going to be putting a 3 car garage in in the next few months, so that is taking up my time with planning and design.

The 4 Runner hasn't really moved from its parking spot in the driveway since we moved. I have gathered a few parts. Got a spare t-case to re-gear with 4.7's and a twin stick setup for it. Ordered a set of Corbeau Baja SS seats on friday, along with a set of 5 point harnesses, so those will be going in next. Have been getting the final parts for my SAS whenever that happens, but may trade a buddy the Toyota axle for a Dana 60 and drop that in, maybe :)

I've been collecting parts all winter. Got a few more to go yet.

Got:
York compressor
New rear lift gate struts
Landtank MAF housing
Rear storage box anchor bolts
1000W invertor
Wiper Fluid Res Relo kit

Getting:
York mounting bracket and pulley
New MAF sensor
2nd batt tray

And other junk to hook it all together.

The pig is different every time we see it!
Slow winter for me.
Got the 70 back from paint, and put the OME susp and the full floater in. Still need a 4.10 3rd member from a 62 for the front so I can get rid of the 3.70 and use 4wd!
Gathered some parts for a pig project, but looks like the herd will be thinned down.
Next up skid plate in the 80, and finally do the caster correction.
3/21 works for me!
Tom

Well as Gary said, I had neck surgery to fix the bulging disks in my neck. they were pinching my nerves and causing pain and numbness in my left arm.

So they now have removed the suspension disks and have metal protective cages between C5 & C6 and C6 & C7. I also have a Titanium skid plate protecting the front of my vertebrae. I am just waiting on the skin to weld itself together to look good as new!

Really each day is getting better, hopefully Friday I will be cleared to drive again.

Still lots of projects to work on like everyone else!

Craig

Glad to hear you're doing better, Craig. Now you need them to install some sliders. Make sure that skid plate of yours is tied into the frame. :D
Hope all goes well Friday!

Hey Guys, I have not really been up to much with school going on...it keeps me pretty busy. I was hoping to get some stuff done over spring break but it looks like I may be making a trip to Kentucky to pick up a rig with my buddy that he wants to buy. Sounds like you guys are having some fun. Hope to make it out on a trip soon! Glad to here you are feeling ok Craig.
-Chris

Sorry to hear you had problems with your neck sufficient to require surgery, Craig. Also glad it turned out well. A full speedy recovery to you. Hope to see you on the trails this summer.

Thanks, Dan

up to:

Winter has been busy but not with TLC stuff. Chasing around a 1 and 3 year old getting sleep sometimes and winter track for our teen. Everyone is now healthy and unlike Craig (sorry) I once again dodged back surgery. I am running out of "free passes" in that department. The 80 is still low lifted and has the Bridgstone AT revos which still have over 1/4' tread even with 65k+ on them. Can't complement them enough for an AT tire. The 80 is slowly becoming more Masculine in form from its 40th anniversary addition glitz: center caps gone, mud flaps gone, soon factory roof rack will be gone and even thinking of going flareless if I can come up with a cheap visually appealling option. Next step is going to be sliders but I need them in the form of steps also so the little ones can get in. Laura as a teenager now wants to get back into trail rides with me (sometimes) Tyler loves Mudtrucking up at Gary's house and we get up there as often as possible. Grace is too young to be bebopping in an offroad rig so we will see where that goes. Sarah is well. Can't believe I am starting to hunt for a car for our teen. She likes Land Cruisers but really likes Volvo 240's so if you see one let me know. Ready to wheel again this spring on the "mild side with the 80 as it sits. I did the wheel hard in a relativley stock thing (my old red 60 waaaaay back) and that did not go well. 3 dented doors, rockers looking like crushed soda cans, a crushed fender, no mirrors and a missing bumper later led me to belive 30" tires on a wagon and harder trails don't mix unless you want to an "Earthsurfer" copyrighted that word so please refer to me if you use it. Though a few years ago Hildy outdid me in what he did up at Paragon in his 62 with Dozier spotting!

See as many of you as I can in March, Matt Reed

PS anybody have a 40 frame they want to sell?

Not been doing a whole lot this winter. Finally got around to putting the mini disk brakes and power steering on the 73-40. Me likes alot. Got rid of the Mrs. Land Turd, pretty much a give away and put her in a new 08 Blue FJC for xmas. Getting #2 daughters 91-80 (new to us) sorted out, new exhaust, fixed PS leak, new gray leather front seats out of something fabbed and mounted. Front end rebuild is next on it. The 76 trail pig project that I bought from Jeff has had a lot of parts gathered up. Steering column installed, instrument binacle installed, 35's on wagon wheels installed, distrib, intake, exhaust, carb, PS, etc..etc..parts have all been sourced awaiting installation. It won't be ready for the 21st, but by this summer it should be good to go. It won't be pretty, but it is not supposed to be. I also picked up a Fisher 6' plow with all the necessary bits that was on a 40. Should be something to do next fall to the trail pig. All other cruisers lurking about are status quo.

work has been consuming every second of every day... glad to see everyone is doing well! Craig, I wish you the best, as you recover from surgery!

We are headed out west for a family ski trip through the proposed wheeling weekend. After tax season, I will slow down with work and I hope to get out on the trail with you guys.

later gators...:beer:

Sold my 80
Bought the 100 Series and baselined everything
Have not been on any good/exciting overseas missions
No mods for 100 Series - yet! IPOR and my checkbook - not good
I go to Key West in 2 weeks for a kickass deployment
And that's about it, I hope the new year has been good for everyone.

John

Sorry to hear about your troubles Craig! I haven't talked to any of you Merkeys a quite a while!

Things have been busy here for me. I got a promotion to Engineering Manager and have been spending lots more time at work.

I found out last week that my wife is pregnant with our second! We are hoping for a girl to "round things out".

I have a few small projects planned for the 40 this spring. I would like to get a TBI setup to replace my carb this year along with a winch/bumper.

Anyone have experience with a DIY TBI?

Glad to hear that everyone is doing well.

CAZ

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom