Wont crank, odd situation. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Inside

20191228_203832.jpg

I lost power to that fuse and wound up stranded. Had to jump power to it for a month until I figured it out. Was a combination of bad fusible link and old alarm. I had no power to this fuse. But this got me buy for a little bit

Screenshot_20190828-131524_Edge.jpg

I will definitely check this. If I dont have a test light, how would I check it?

Need a light. Test both sides of the fuse. Power comes in one side and goes through the fuse to the other. With a good fuse you should have power to both sides. If it's bad then you will only have power on one side of the fuse. if no power to either side then you have to trace it down. My alarm had an impact sensor that "sensed an impact" on a rough dirt road and cut power to the EFI.

Okay I can get a test light. Did you ground it anywhere special? I'm assuming I need to fo this with the ignition on??

Okay I can get a test light. Did you ground it anywhere special? I'm assuming I need to fo this with the ignition on??
You can do this with your multimeter.

Pull the fuse and check it just like the others so it makes the tone.

Then, switch the meter back to the V-, 20 and place the black in the left hole and the red in the right hole and see if it gives you voltage. Should be +12 with key in RUN.

Then reinstall the fuse.

I always ground my test light to my key in the ignition. any other metal spot works as well.

@6894kevin I have attached the ECM troubleshooting steps from the '94 FSM. Looks like you are a dab hand with the DVM so it should be fairly easy to make some further tests at the ECU. You can also check the CEL circuit here by looking for 12v at terminal W with the ignition on. Obviously checking for 12v at the ECM is a good first step.
Don't look at his diagram and faint. It is not that complicated when you break it down into lots of little circuits. By the way I have a spare ECM but I won't be back in the country until the 7th. That said, I very much doubt the ECM is the issue.
Good luck.

Attachments

• 6 - Troubleshooting.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 53
You can do this with your multimeter.

Pull the fuse and check it just like the others so it makes the tone.

Then, switch the meter back to the V-, 20 and place the black in the left hole and the red in the right hole and see if it gives you voltage. Should be +12 with key in RUN.

Then reinstall the fuse.

This is what I got on the meter at the fuse pan6with no fuse in it. , The fuse checked ok

15776260945756172382841656325674.jpg

@BILT4ME I just reread your post and obviously I'm not getting 12v as shown in the pic above. Is that bad??

@6894kevin I have attached the ECM troubleshooting steps from the '94 FSM. Looks like you are a dab hand with the DVM so it should be fairly easy to make some further tests at the ECU. You can also check the CEL circuit here by looking for 12v at terminal W with the ignition on. Obviously checking for 12v at the ECM is a good first step.
Don't look at his diagram and faint. It is not that complicated when you break it down into lots of little circuits. By the way I have a spare ECM but I won't be back in the country until the 7th. That said, I very much doubt the ECM is the issue.
Good luck.
@Irish Reiver I appreciate the words. But I actually have no idea what I'm doing... lol I never used a volt meter before yester day, but I will certainly give anything a try so I dont have to tow and pay someone else to do this.

Check the fuse for the ignition as well. its just below the rear heater fuse

Okay

My wife just reminded me that I did pull and clean all the door pin (not sure if that's what they are called) and cleaned and reinstalled them. They are the little pins under the rubber boots that turn the interior lights on and off when you open and close the door. I was having some issues with my interior LED's flickering as I drove and thought the doors were causing it. I did this on tue or wed and it was driven several times after I did it. Would the door wiring cause anything???

I followed a YouTube video and never actually messed with wire, just disconnected them, cleaned and sanded the contacts as and put them back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom