Builds Won a '74 40 on a coin toss...

Website
www.billetriflesystems.com
I was in Vegas this week for a big insurance and risk management conference. We had dinner with one of our larger customers one night. First time meeting them, I was introduced to the future controller and before we even got in the restaurant, somehow he shared he had a '77 FJ40 that he wanted to get running again. I think his father-in-law or his grandfather is the original owner. Talk about a small world. We proceeded to talk Cruisers for a couple hours... He lives up in Rocklin, shared with him @Racer65's site as well as another person who I had bought a body panel from.
IRMI?

I'm with Amwins. Sounds like the making of a super nerdy insurance fj40 club!

ginmtb

'74 FJ40 - my first!
Okay got the plate bracket installed - now just need plate to arrive. My bumper is much narrower than stock so I tried to have it line up flush with front of bumper. Not much more I could do. And how in the world did I just discover the spring loaded center punch? That thing is awesome (simple pleasures in life lol).

9D69CF42-A10E-4644-8611-37AE73563619.jpeg
75CAFA4B-D068-400D-AD2D-3A4F1C1CC260.jpeg
6C1E8CA2-9663-4A35-9C2C-E081BAFD00BA.jpeg

ginmtb

'74 FJ40 - my first!
Decided to shake the cobwebs off and go out for a spin. Tires needed major air and I had to fill carb with fuel to start it since it had been sitting so long. But like the tractors these are drove like a champ on my little backroad loop.

Tried the horn just to see if anything fixed itself but no luck 😂.

6EBDA4B0-411F-452B-9DB2-345F1D1A5ABD.jpeg

ginmtb

'74 FJ40 - my first!
Man, problem with taking a long break from the cruiser is I don’t know what I have and where a lot of the stuff is! Decided to give a fresh shot at the horn issue and got the steering wheel all apart but now can’t find my puller… I used to get a click at the relay now I get nothing. Yay.

4E2541C7-980C-41DB-AA07-8260DAEC1232.jpeg

DBB6422C-1DA8-4B7A-B763-7DB954D3E407.jpeg

So also discovered a tool I bought to help free up stuck screws - worked great on the windshield hinge screws! But I can’t find the replacement screws I’m almost certain I bought…

1BA409C9-095F-4017-B99E-80F1CFD6A9FF.jpeg

CEBA7E40-5862-4515-9D6D-663F8DA2D8F6.jpeg

Guess I have some Black Friday shopping to do for replacement screws… ;)

TheHardWay

Ain't as easy as it looks
SILVER Star
Re your horn problem: this thread of my horn adventure may be of some help in yours

ginmtb

'74 FJ40 - my first!
Re your horn problem: this thread of my horn adventure may be of some help in yours

I will check it out thank you!!!

Man, problem with taking a long break from the cruiser is I don’t know what I have and where a lot of the stuff is! Decided to give a fresh shot at the horn issue and got the steering wheel all apart but now can’t find my puller… I used to get a click at the relay now I get nothing. Yay.

View attachment 3177241
View attachment 3177240

So also discovered a tool I bought to help free up stuck screws - worked great on the windshield hinge screws! But I can’t find the replacement screws I’m almost certain I bought…

View attachment 3177242
View attachment 3177243

Guess I have some Black Friday shopping to do for replacement screws… ;)
For what it is worth, I have never needed a puller to remove a cruiser steering wheel. Remove the nut, sit in the driver's seat then grab the wheel at the 9 and 3 o'clock position. Pull hard/rock it back and forth gently and it should pop off it's taper. Big ol steering wheel provides a lot of leverage and I have had success on 3 separate vehicles this way without ever damaging them. Good luck!

ginmtb

'74 FJ40 - my first!
Okay, I think I have this horn situation figured out! Keep fingers crossed! Too late to test it though. But I decided to be more methodical this time (and not so ANGRY!) and I tested for continuity in all the wires that feed the relay and then found the wire that supplies the voltage to the relay. Here is what has thrown me off - there is a GR wire coming off the steering wheel horn buttons. I checked that wire again for continuity, which runs in a harness down the steering column to just under the dash and all good. Then I pulled apart the connector and there is no mating GR wire. The GR wire at the relay is hot so must run to fuse box (schematic shows a horn fuse but mine doesn't show "horn" at the fuse box). The GR wire from the steering wheel connects to a GY wire which goes to relay.

Steering wheel GR -> connector GY -> relay GY

So I have wires all messed up on the relay:

GW GY
GR

Should be:

GR GW
GY

It appears based on the schematic that the HBS on the relay is H=HORN, B=BATTERY, S=SWITCH. Makes total sense. I looked at an old post of mine and I had bad info:

Correct:
fj40_horn_relay.png

Incorrect:
fj40_horn_relay_wrong.png

Please let there be a god... 🤞

Last edited:

V8FJ4078

SILVER Star
Okay rewired should be good! Nope. 👎🏽. No click at relay, wondering if relay is dead.

Horn works:

what's your positive battery cable clamp look like under the rubber cover?
I might need something like that!

ginmtb

'74 FJ40 - my first!

TheHardWay

Ain't as easy as it looks
SILVER Star
Does the horn in your 75 work? (hint hint)

ginmtb

'74 FJ40 - my first!
Dang that tester is awesome! I got the knock off version (https://a.co/d/0vNP93g), about 1/2 the price. I determined the following tonight:
  1. Steering wheel shaft is properly grounded!
  2. The lone horn I have hooked up is properly grounded and there is continuity between the harness at the relay and the wire plugged to horn
  3. Other horn - nothing. I checked to see if the cut off GW wire under the dash ran to the other horn (also GW wire) but nothing there. I could probably just wire up two horns on the same working wire. Of course at this time, I'd take even one horn working lol.
  4. Relay appears to be shot - grounded the S tab and put 12V on the B tab, no clickety-click!
Time to order a new relay!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom