Wits End Turbo Prep (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 97 80 Series 40tu Ann. with 138k. I have baselined the coolant system and axels and fixed my leaks. I am running a little rich at start up and burning some oil. I have done the color indicator test on the coolant system and it looks good. Long story long, I have noticed a lot of people installing the turbo have fresh rebuilds (makes sense), some are just updating coolant and fuel systems. Can anyone recommend (outside of a rebuild) what should be done before spending the money to installing a turbo? It will make my decision process a lot easier. I know the kits are hard to come by but I really really want one...I am not capable of doing a rebuild.

Have you done a compression test? I'm sure it's simple, but I took mine to a shop for thier two cents to see if I could handle the boost.

Also, ask Joey what he thinks (it's only his opinion, and can't be held liable if it becomes something he doesn't recommend). Before I purchased the turbo, Joey called me and questioned me about my engine, before telling me that he thinks I'll be a good candidate for the turbo. I think I was at 145k on the engine with no leaks.

He recommended I replace my motor mounts (something he wished he'd done).

I spent a long time reading through forums and asking other turbo owners what they did to theirs before I purchased mine. Joey has also said countless times that there are really two trains of thought it seems when it comes to these. First, is to do a complete rebuild, new head, injectors, distributor, coolant, etc. The second is just as it is mentioned above, bolt it on and go. Joey seems to have thought of everything and has made a setup that provides good power but keeps things operating in a safe, reliable manner. I would say after checking compression and for head gasket leaks the only other thing I did was just ensure my cooling was up to par. I changed out my fan clutch and did a coolant swap.
Once the turbo gets here I’m throwing it on and giving her the gears. Eventually one day I’ll need a rebuild but I think where you’re at you’ll be good to bolt it on and go ahead.

FYI I have 160k miles and regular maintenance done to the rig

Last edited:
I love the replies!!! In reading I thought I saw where lean was bad for the turbo. Compression test ... why did I not think of that, too common sense....

I know enough to be dangerous. In this case that can be...well, dangerous and the truck is in great shape, so I’ll feel like a total ass if I mess it up.

Simple:
* compression test. You want solid compression across all cylinders. If you have a weak cylinder then remedy that first.
* take care of your coolant system. If you are currently running warmer than typical, remedy that first! Perfect time to completely baseline your cooling system.
* take care of oil leaks. Your engine operated under vacuum and leaks. Now it’s going to operate under pressure. The turbo will exploit oil leaks.
* otherwise no need to tear anything apart if not needed.
* if you do decide to do anything I’m a fan of Cometic MLS gasket and ARP head studs.
* change your motor mounts pre-emptively

I'll add my two cents for my turbo install. I did replace the FPR, fuel pump sock filter (in the tank), heater valve since I was about to swap out all spark plugs, and a new fuel filter. My HG was done years ago, along with new motor mounts and reconditioned all fuel injectors. Now, I need to replace the cross member mount under Tcase.

Joey is 100% correct, you'll leak more now than before as my front main is leaking even though it was replaced about ten years ago :bang:

I’m only at 106k miles, but replacing my head gasket and installing studs. I don’t want to have to deal with a head gasket down the road in a few years. Might as well do it now. Doing a Trans
s shift kit also. Installed a Ron Davis radiator, new blue fan clutch. And, to help with the cooling I just installed a bad as hood scoop.

So, curious to see what y’all thing of these numbers. Engine was warmed up.
B813DE9A-5888-47C4-984E-5144203B0EBB.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom