Wits' End- Been installing a bunch of racks lately and they need love too

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Supporting Vendor
Website
absolute-wits-end.com
Guess I should probably update here as well…

This is what 2000 UV stable custom rubber washers look like. I had these made specifically for the hardware.

These arrived today so a huge batch of kits went out. The next batch of the screws arrives next week so if you are still waiting for yours and did NOT get a shipping notification, it’ll be going out next week.

366FE68D-4925-4AD7-883C-A2F91BCE8014.jpeg

The WeBoost unit itself was just mounted on the QPM that some nut makes. The antenna from the WeBoost I wanted smooth transitions so I opted to pop a hole in the top of the QPM and added a grommet. This cable just runs thru the roof. The current setup will be changing as we've found better ways.

View attachment 2883433

View attachment 2883434

View attachment 2883435
Do you mean you’ve found better ways of routing the cable to the roof than through it? If so, could you give some information on that?

I’ve got to take the headliner down soon and had planned to use some marine glands to get cables to the roof.

dogfishlake

"Go on a living spree"
Supporting Vendor
Funny story,
The first rack I built for myself I made out of 1" conduit. Kind of a flat rack with a mesh floor with a raised part around the front. That thing was soooo loud. It even sent vibrations down through my shoulder belts! My solution was a double row light bar on the front for a wind deflector. That worked wonders and made the noise level much lower. Fast forward a year and my buddy and I were headed to the UP to go fishing. On the highway, out of the blue, the 80 started making a wicked squealing noise. I got out of the gas and listened and started mental diagnosis. Alternator bearing?, Idler? water pump? transmission? No issues on the scanguage and good oil pressure so I kept rolling for an exit as we thought through ideas in our heads. I opened the sunroof and it instantly was obvious it was the rack . The light bar tipped up and allowed the noise. I reached through the hole and pulled the light down and voila'! all better. Was so strange the rack noise was that hard to pinpoint.

You won't have that with a Bowfin though, lol.

Funny story,
The first rack I built for myself I made out of 1" conduit. Kind of a flat rack with a mesh floor with a raised part around the front. That thing was soooo loud. It even sent vibrations down through my shoulder belts! My solution was a double row light bar on the front for a wind deflector. That worked wonders and made the noise level much lower. Fast forward a year and my buddy and I were headed to the UP to go fishing. On the highway, out of the blue, the 80 started making a wicked squealing noise. I got out of the gas and listened and started mental diagnosis. Alternator bearing?, Idler? water pump? transmission? No issues on the scanguage and good oil pressure so I kept rolling for an exit as we thought through ideas in our heads. I opened the sunroof and it instantly was obvious it was the rack . The light bar tipped up and allowed the noise. I reached through the hole and pulled the light down and voila'! all better. Was so strange the rack noise was that hard to pinpoint.

You won't have that with a Bowfin though, lol.
That's what I made my first rack out of too! I put it on my 1987 Syncro Vanagon I had at the time and it was awesome. Mine wasn't loud at all...in fact was almost thinking to make another one for my 80 but ordering your Bowfin Rack is a lot easier (more expensive too of course. :p)

Oh jeez no. Definitely not in my wheelhouse. Too many people making racks and I don’t need to compete in that niche of a niche for a niche. :beer:
I'm hoping to buy a Bowfin rack once there is some stock available but would like to confirm that I'm still be able to fit into my garage. Is it possible to measure how tall the rack sits off the drip rails? That way I can determine my clearance especially when considering adding a lift and tires in the future.

dogfishlake

"Go on a living spree"
Supporting Vendor
The highest point of the 80 series roof is almost to the back. The rack rises above the highest point in the center of the roof about 2 1/4" from there. Almost the same as the factory rack. My 80 has 35" tires and a 4" Slee lift on it and it clears the header in my 7' garage opening by a couple inches.

The highest point of the 80 series roof is almost to the back. The rack rises above the highest point in the center of the roof about 2 1/4" from there. Almost the same as the factory rack. My 80 has 35" tires and a 4" Slee lift on it and it clears the header in my 7' garage opening by a couple inches.
That's a good point about the rear. If its generally the height of the factory roof rack I should be good, looks like its 70" to the gutter +5.5" for the rack (stock tires/suspension) = ~76" I have 6'-6" clearance or 78" since my garage was designed for 1920s Fords.

20220120_135412.jpg
20220120_135445.jpg

So I could add the rack + 33s with no lift and still fit ~1" (as long as I remember to unload the rack ;)

Now I just need one in black, black hardware, and no light bar....

1642716563074.png

BillyGoatMTB

SILVER Star
Measured from the C pillar

View attachment 2899120
Awesome!
I'm drinking coffee...... Wondering about the height of the bowfin, weather I would like a rooftop tent or not (do I really want or like 150lbs on my roof, how will that effect rock crawling trips) my shop door height, will a rooftop tent fit... (Man this is a good cup of coffee), and the overland, rock crawling trips this year I want to go on. Oh... I should check the ih8mud thread, and boom (all your questions are answered) all is right with the world.

Roll-up door modifications and a pulley system incorporated into the steel truss system in my shop for easy fitting and removing of a rooftop tent may be in my future.

Great thread @NLXTACY

@NLXTACY I would be in for some housings that fit a small Baja designs or Rigid light. Some wire management to run 3 pods on each side plus a light bar would be dandy as well. Some sort of quick disconnect should I ever need to take the rack off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom