Wiring in Tail Lights, and a few questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My LX came with a Dobinsons rear bumper, but the lights in the bumper were never wired into the harness.

Instead of using vampire clips on 5 wires, I took an idea from this thread:
And will be building an intermediary "harness" that all of the lighting will be connected into.

The bumper comes with 2x 3 wire harnesses (per side, 4 in total) for connecting all of the lights.

I read the LX450 EWD (FSM - 1997 LX450 EWD - https://forum.ih8mud.com/resources/1997-lx450-ewd.86/)
And someone last night directed me to RM06H0E to make the match of plug picture to part number.

Bumper Clear Light Harness (indicators, reverse):
R7/R8 Pinout:
X5

Black -> Ground
Bumper Wire: Black
Pin 5

Bumper Harness: Turn signal positive connection.
Bumper Wire: Brown
Pin 2
Green w/ brown

Bumper: Reverse light positive
Bumper Wire: White
Pin 1
Red w/ Blue

Bumper Red Light Harness:

X56

Black -> Ground
Bumper Wire: Black
Pin 5

Bumper Harness: Tail Light Positive
Bumper Wire: White
Pin 3
Green

Bumper: Brake Light Positive
Bumper Wire: Brown
Pin 6
Green w/ White

Plug hieroglyphs:
From EWD: (Page 87)
1644372016177.png

Matching Plug from RM06H0E:

Female Plug:
1644372204243.png

Male Plug:
1644372144732.png

Questions:
  1. Did I get the plug part numbers right?
  2. I looked at the Toyota Part numbers, it does not call out if the metal pins that go in the plug are included or not, are they?
  3. I do not have a crimping tool, recommendations?
  4. 18 Gauge wire?

The connector part numbers you quoted are non-waterproof. Not sure where you plan to put these, so they might be OK if protected from the elements.
Pins are not included with connectors and are sold individually. Each pin has a 6" pigtail crimped on.

The connector part numbers you quoted are non-waterproof. Not sure where you plan to put these, so they might be OK if protected from the elements.
Pins are not included with connectors and are sold individually. Each pin has a 6" pigtail crimped on.
These would be in the cabin, in the same part of the vehicle as the brake lights now:

Before:
OEM Brake Light Harness -> Brake Lights

After:
OEM Brake Light Harness -> 6" harness for connecting in the bumper lights -> Brake Lights
Dobinsons Bumper Llights 24" leads ----^

I will need to do some more research / reading of RM06H0E and the harness repair guide to see if I can find the right part numbers.

Will see if there is also a generic pin (without wiring attached) that will work (molex, or something)

Last edited:
the pins are not unique to toyota and can be sourced bare for crimping if you desire. the toyota part numbers i believe all come as crimped pigtails. the manual has a table with the pin size, etc you can use to cross reference to outside connector sources.

If you enter the suffix of the connector part numbers in the search bar in Acrobat, you can quickly get to the correct pins.
Thanks!
Using "11706" that leads me to a terminal type of "2.3 II" and a little searching leads me to this:
090II unsealed series.

Now just to figure out what size wire to use, and I think? I am set 😅

Another option might be to tap into the trailer wiring connectors. I posted some info in this thread. Seems like this may be a simpler option.

For crimp tooling, I picked the Hozan P-706 and got it on Amazon. It is listed on the Eastern Beaver website linked below. It's not my favorite crimp tool but it seems to work ok for an inexpensive tool. The problem I have is I never know what opening to pick.

These are some of the places I've come across for wiring parts.

Last edited:
I've also bought connectors and contacts from Alibaba.com. Just have to recognize there might be a quality difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom