wiring for rear bumper lights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jblueridge

SILVER Star
Threads
I will soon take my rear bumper off to get powdercoated. The swing-out arms will partially obscure the tail lights so the bumper will have a set of led's. I have spent some time making a wiring harness that will plug into the factory loom.

Here's the basic layout.

In the right rear corner of the truck I got at the factory wiring.

Below is the pin-out for the forward half of that 16 pin factory wiring connection.

I used a multi-meter and a diagram to confirm which wires are for lights. Since my BJ74 has chopped rear doors, some of the wires are now useless (wiper, anti fog heater, washer).
Here's what I found

I found the correct factory connector (made by Sumitomo) on the Eastern Beaver website.
Eastern Beaver

Here are pics of that Sumitiomo/Toyota connector.

I bought some 20 gauge wire to do the daisy-chain wiring. This wire is small enough to let me get two conductors into one Deutsch crimp-able pin. The LED's won't need a lot of amperage.

Here's the "Y" connector all made up.

Here's the hook up in place in the truck. When I get the bumper bolted on after coating I'll connect the rest of the wiring to the Deutsch connector.

I finally got my bumper powder coated and installed.
I used braided plastic sleeving and the corrugated type on the wiring that lays inside the frame behind the bumper.
Here's a pic of part of the daisy chain.
two sleeves.JPG

I ran the end of the daisy chain through the OEM grommet that leads into the space behind the right side tail light. I placed the pins into the Deutsch connector after getting them thru the gormmet.
wiring thru grommet.JPG

I fed the rest of the daisy chained wiring through the frame rail behind the bumper.
plugs in bumper.JPG

Plugged the combination lights in and mounted the bumper. Done.
rear bumper 1.JPG

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom