Wiring an 8274 + Albright (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Why is the DC88P-1000 on amazon half the price of others?

Why is the sky blue?

The DC88P doesn't have this on it:
1572368382555.png

Warn 98381 is good for For Zeon 8, 8S, 10, 10S, 12, 12S Truck Winches, according to Amazon. So, it should be good for over 100amps, which is what a loaded winch will usually draw.

For the folks using the now discontinued Albright unit for the 8274 retrofits, looks like your older units are only good for 100amps continuous, if I'm not mistaken.

If anyone has a spec on the Warn 98381, that'd be good.

Albright:

DC88P-1000 is good for 100A, according to Curtis/Albright DC88P-1000 Motor Reversing DC Contactor in a Protective Case. This Albright data sheet shows that 185amps @30% duty cycle but the current vs time graph does show amps in excess of 500amps for a very short time is doable with this unit.

But,

Amazon contradicts and says flat out that DC88P-1000 is good for 500amp, to fit 6000 to 18,000lb winches. Check out the pics at this and also the same current vs time graph Link

My Warn M10,000 winch has drawn near 600amps fully loaded, probably from the outer layer or maybe one layer in of the cable. However, my steel cable is only 80' long on the drum, not the usual 125' or whatever it came with from the factory.

Some years ago, the Overland Journal did a nice test of five different popular winches, including a new 8274-50. The great thing about it was, they rigged up some hard and long pulls that could be duplicated for all of the winches, and they had a big clamp-on ammeter so they measured the current draw and the temperature of all the winches during these substantial pulls. Unfortunately, they have moved or removed the test article from their web site, so that my link to it doesn't work any more.

One of the more interesting things (to me) that came out of the test was that the largest amperage draw by far was on start-up under load. Once the winch gets turning, the amperage draw goes way down, but IIRC the 8274 drew in excess of 500 amps momentarily on start-up, then immediately settled down to about 200 amps for the heavy pull. The 8274 is a very fast winch, so a sustained pull of more than a couple of minutes would be rare. When I looked at the current vs. time graphs on the Albright web site years ago, they showed that the DC88P would handle 200 amps for several minutes, but I no longer have the link to their page (I didn't see it on the Amazon page). All this from my memory though, so subject to error. But it confirms what @alia176 is saying, that you want to size/spec whatever contactor you use for an 8274 to be able to handle 500+ amps momentarily and 200 amps for at least 2-3 minutes.

I wonder if the Warn unit which costs way more than the Albright unit is indeed a more solid buy, assuming it has a better load rating. Still, I'd love to see the specs on the Warn unit.

I wonder if the Warn unit which costs way more than the Albright unit is indeed a more solid buy, assuming it has a better load rating. Still, I'd love to see the specs on the Warn unit.

You would hope so, though Warn is pretty proud of most of their parts. It's a sure bet that Warn doesn't manufacture their own contactors, surely they just buy them from some source like Albright (or even perhaps some Chinese manufacturer?). If they would publish the specs on it, then you could just source one with the same or better specs from Albright.

You would hope so, though Warn is pretty proud of most of their parts. It's a sure bet that Warn doesn't manufacture their own contactors, surely they just buy them from some source like Albright (or even perhaps some Chinese manufacturer?). If they would publish the specs on it, then you could just source one with the same or better specs from Albright.

Yeah, that makes total sense.

Good luck finding any specs on the Warn contactor. I went ahead and ordered/installed it on my 8274. Did a couple of test pulls under load and all seems fine.

Good luck finding any specs on the Warn contactor. I went ahead and ordered/installed it on my 8274. Did a couple of test pulls under load and all seems fine.

Did you get it from Amazon? It's a chunk 'O change, that's for sure.

from Replacement Motor for 8274 12volt

1911 said:

I just bought an Albright contactor for mine, just need to figure out where to put it now. Doesn't look like it will fit under the solenoid pack cover because the remote cable connector inside the cover is in the way.
Which contactor did you buy? Warn's albright contactor is pn 34971 at about $200.

From what I read, the Warn contacter is made by Albright exclusively for Warn, is a triple pole and therefore will stand more abuse than the DC88 that is a twin pole.

Thanks, Dan

Which contactor did you buy? Warn's albright contactor is pn 34971 at about $200.

From what I read, the Warn contacter is made by Albright exclusively for Warn, is a triple pole and therefore will stand more abuse than the DC88 that is a twin pole.

Thanks, Dan

I bought the contactor sold by Superwinch that is NLA, as far as I can tell, a DC88. It has worked fine for the last eight years, including some heavy pulls (pulled a 3/4 ton diesel truck and a gooseneck trailer out of a steep ditch and up a hill). If I ever have to replace it, I will go with the Warn p/n you quoted.

Thanks, Dan

You're missing the fact that Warn has multiple models of contactors available right now. The 34971 is about an inch longer than the superwinch contactor earlier in this thread, and larger than the DC88 by about the same amount.

Triple pole is good, but it comes at the expense of size. I bought a 34971 for my truck after my Superwinch contactor failed, just haven't got around to installing it.

You're missing the fact that Warn has multiple models of contactors available right now. The 34971 is about an inch longer than the superwinch contactor earlier in this thread, and larger than the DC88 by about the same amount.

Triple pole is good, but it comes at the expense of size. I bought a 34971 for my truck after my Superwinch contactor failed, just haven't got around to installing it.

For our "non professional" use, the DC88 seems to be plenty beefy but at least we know what the big deal is with the Warn's contactor with three poles and what not. I think some of us have mounted the winch control box inside the engine bay so mounting this behomth Warn contator w/o the control box probably isn't a big deal. But, it's good to know that it is one inch taller than the DC88.

I think I'd like to spend the $$ on a 6 hp (maybe it's 6.5 hp, nobody knows) motor for the 9.5XP winch and slap it on my M10,000 winch, even though it really doesn't "need" it but the larger motor should draw less amps, which means less taxing for my electrical system. Of course, a little extra speed wouldn't hurt my feeling any ;)

Amazon link to motor

Not taller, longer, but yes, not a big deal. I've got the bigger 16.5k motor on my 8274, which is why I am moving to the 34971, but most shouldn't need it.

Not taller, longer, but yes, not a big deal. I've got the bigger 16.5k motor on my 8274, which is why I am moving to the 34971, but most shouldn't need it.

Is your motor bigger than the 6.5 hp I mentioned above?

Is your motor bigger than the 6.5 hp I mentioned above?

I think GLTHFJ60 used the #70865 Warn motor like I did on my F350......I used the 6.5 Warn for my LX-450 build both with super winch contactors...

005.JPG

Warn Contactor part # 34971.

About to pull the trigger on this to replace my troublesome Warn solenoids on my stock motor 8274. My research tells me it’s the one I want. Any experienced hands say no?.

I understand its larger, & I plan to move it under the hood. And several say it’s overkill, generally speaking I like overkill...and in the future I may upgrade the motor to the 9.5 anyway. Just would appreciate some more experienced thoughts before I drop $200.

Thanks.

C
Warn Contactor part # 34971.

About to pull the trigger on this to replace my troublesome Warn solenoids on my stock motor 8274. My research tells me it’s the one I want. Any experienced hands say no?.

I understand its larger, & I plan to move it under the hood. And several say it’s overkill, generally speaking I like overkill...and in the future I may upgrade the motor to the 9.5 anyway. Just would appreciate some more experienced thoughts before I drop $200.

Thanks.

Can't imagine that you would regret buying that one John. I've never heard of one failing, but there has been at least one failure reported here of the $90 Superwinch contactor that a lot of us used. The extra money is probably worth the peace of mind.

Hey guys. How do I troubleshoot my albright system? Its hooked up per all the diagrams and when i hit the trigger the first time the motor turned once. Now the contactor is clicking but the motor is not moving at all.

Note, I am using a DB electric motor on mine with an Albright solenoid. How can I test the motor and the albright separately to figure out what's wrong?

Thanks
WW

15779142884528437851150937600162.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom