Wiring 8274 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My winch was running one direction but not the other. So I bought a pack of 4 solenoids (BB1714) described as for early Warn model XD9000. Now a can’t get it to run at all. I have checked all the wiring and connections (they are the same as when it was working and every other internet pic I can find) and there is power and continuity everywhere there is supposed to be; good ground etc.

I replaced the solenoids with the same style that was on it and what came up when I searched for 8274 solenoids.

I note that the normal method of applying power/ground to the two lead posts does not produce a “click” (didn’t on my old ones either and I know at least 2 of them were good because it ran in one direction. So am Itesting them wrong?

I have a 3 wire controller socket (that worked with the previous set-up) but my controller has 5 pin. Is it possible that these solenoids require the five wire socket/wiring?

It it possible I bought the wrong solenoids? Here is a picture up it.

4A8ACA7A-6B1A-4D5E-8A4C-BCAB616CDC67.jpeg

7F07ECF3-67E7-47ED-922C-B82EB2544F2D.jpeg

ECAA1D07-E0A3-4CE5-BDEE-5E7FAEFED2AA.png

I know on mine you have to run power and ground to the pulling circuit of the solenoids. Thats not what your diagram shows.

I don't know if this will be of any help to you @Armordave , but my older 8274, Solenoids are wired exactly as yours... I.E. 3 wires going to the control box...BUT... my socket has 5 pins.

Just for drill, last week when I was wheeling with some buddies, we tested my 5 pin socket on 2 of their winches, Warn Zeon 10 and an older M8000 and they both worked in/out using my 5 pin socket.

I also have a newer 8274 that has the solenoids wired differently...but the same socket will work this winch also.

Maybe see if you can find a friend that has a 5 pin socket & try it on your winch.

I don't know if this will be of any help to you @Armordave , but my older 8274, Solenoids are wired exactly as yours... I.E. 3 wires going to the control box...BUT... my socket has 5 pins.

Just for drill, last week when I was wheeling with some buddies, we tested my 5 pin socket on 2 of their winches, Warn Zeon 10 and an older M8000 and they both worked in/out using my 5 pin socket.

I also have a newer 8274 that has the solenoids wired differently...but the same socket will work this winch also.

Maybe see if you can find a friend that has a 5 pin socket & try it on your winch.

My socket is a 3 wire but my controller has 5 pins. I suppose I can get a 5 wire socket and hook it up. I also asked the place I bought the solenoids from and they said that the small terminals that don't have a wire on them all need to go to ground for these solenoids to work? I guess I can try that.

Im pretty sure some solenoids ground through the body, hence you dont need the ground on the second small terminal.
The wiring i showed is what i use on my three wire controler.

I case anyone is interested, I found out that these old style solenoids are not grounded through the body fo the solenoid. All the unused terminals (in/out) need to be tied together and to ground. I did that and it works great.

55980134-C156-478B-96BA-23BB9ADDA863.jpeg

^^^
Good to hear, thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, there's 2 styles of solenoids on 8274 winches, especially a 24V version versus the 12V version.

Depending on the solenoids:

a) the two coil studs are totally isolated
b) One of the coil studs are common to the body of the solenoid so that when the solenoid is bolted to the metal bracket it gets ground directly through the metal bracket.

A multimeter on continuity will quickly show if you have isolated coil studs or if one has 0 ohm to the body of the solenoid. This IS worth checking when installing new solenoids.

I went through this when converting my 24V 8274 to 12V back in 2006.

cheers,
george.

Yeah, there's 2 styles of solenoids on 8274 winches, especially a 24V version versus the 12V version.

Depending on the solenoids:

a) the two coil studs are totally isolated
b) One of the coil studs are common to the body of the solenoid so that when the solenoid is bolted to the metal bracket it gets ground directly through the metal bracket.

A multimeter on continuity will quickly show if you have isolated coil studs or if one has 0 ohm to the body of the solenoid. This IS worth checking when installing new solenoids.

I went through this when converting my 24V 8274 to 12V back in 2006.

cheers,
george.

George, not sure what you’re saying. Are you saying that the ones with the isolated coil studs are 24v? Because I have isolated on my 12v system.

Here’s another question. How do you bench test the isolated style. It doesn’t work to just put hot and ground to the 2 studs; that alone doesn’t engage the coil like it does on the newer style solenoids. Can’t find a YouTube video on testing those old style solenoids.

You ground the chassis and power one small terminal.

Youre welcome btw :flipoff2:
I do appreciate everyones help.
With newer Solenoids you can check them by putting hot and ground to the input/output terminals, hear the coil engage, and then check continuity across the large studs. This method does not work on the older solenoid for some reason (the chassis of the solenoid is not a ground).

With the solenoids on a 24V winch, 2 of them have the body connected internally to one of the coil studs, so you wire the other stud to +12V to engage. 2 of the other solenoids are totally isolated, so you have to wire one stud directly to ground and the other stud to +12V to engage the solenoid. BY +12V I MEAN that the +12V path is provided by the hand controller.

Obviously if you purchase solenoids you need to verify whether they are fully isolated or whether they have the internal body to stud connection. Of course if you don't and wire the +12V to the internally grounded stud then bad things will happen when you flip the switch on the controller and +12V shorts to ground...

So, it would be wise to ohm out the coil studs to the body of the solenoid to verify if there is a 0 ohm path, a) to identify if the solenoid is fully isolated or not and b) if it isn't isolated, to determine which stud is the ground path.

You can read about the 24V winch solenoid difference in my 24-12V conversion, you have to scroll to the winch part ->

cheers,
george.

My old 8274 (3 pin) does not require all that additional wiring (grounds). Just ground the winch motor and the back of the solenoid pack mount.

Also a five pin controller will work fine on a 3 pin receptacle.

8274threewirediagram.jpg

8274threewire.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom