Wire loom clips (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm wondering what you all use for the clips that hold the wiring harnesses in the engine bay to the fenders? I seem to recall on 2 or 3 Cruisers I've owned some white plastic clips that look like wire ties but that have a plug that pushes into a the hole in the fender (most were broken by the time I saw them). I see a variety of styles of clips out there but nothing like what I think are the original Toy ones. I've improvised on my current rig with some black plastic wire claps with black plastic plugs that secure them to the fender. They're OK but I'd love to find some originals or close to them. just cleaning/detailing my engine bay and have all the harnesses cleaned up and rewrapped with self-sticking silicone tape and now ready to secure to the fenders.

Thanks,
Pete

I'm wondering what you all use for the clips that hold the wiring harnesses in the engine bay to the fenders? I seem to recall on 2 or 3 Cruisers I've owned some white plastic clips that look like wire ties but that have a plug that pushes into a the hole in the fender (most were broken by the time I saw them). I see a variety of styles of clips out there but nothing like what I think are the original Toy ones. I've improvised on my current rig with some black plastic wire claps with black plastic plugs that secure them to the fender. They're OK but I'd love to find some originals or close to them. just cleaning/detailing my engine bay and have all the harnesses cleaned up and rewrapped with self-sticking silicone tape and now ready to secure to the fenders.

Thanks,
Pete

Have you checked with an OEM source or at the junkyard? Alot of this stuff (or similar) is still available from Toyota for a reasonable $$.

Good idea. I live a couple of minutes from my local Toyota dealer so maybe I'll drop by there.
Thanks,
Pete

Have you checked with an OEM source or at the junkyard? Alot of this stuff (or similar) is still available from Toyota for a reasonable $$.
You might find exactly what you're looking for from Amazon or a local Electrical Supply house. OEM's are great, but can real pricey.

A 'not quite OEM' way to deal with this is using a conventional zip-tie, start by pushing the tail up through the fender hole, go around the harness and shove tail back through hole. Now put tail into latch on the bottom side of fender and zip up. Latch head is on outside, wire harness is inside, neither will pull through tiny hole in fender.

These are good charts, with lengths, on the various clamps for (FJ60s) from the Toyota online parts catalog. I used the the diagrams as a reference when ordering several handfuls for my FJ40s and FJ60s.

Wire Clamps 1.png

Wire Clamps 2.png

Note the diameter of the hole, head to your local auto body supply store and find one that fits. The one that we use most often is the; Auveco Products 14298. It's reusable, has a tab to release the zip, but there are lots of designs to choose from.

You can often do better than OEM just using some waste material and hand skills.

Here's a stainless clamp (on the left there) I made by wrapping a strip of stainless around a drill bit and drilling a hole etc:
EngineBayDec2014.jpg

:beer:

You can often do better than OEM just using some waste material and hand skills.

Here's a stainless clamp (on the left there) I made by wrapping a strip of stainless around a drill bit and drilling a hole etc:
View attachment 1283592

If I didn't know better, I'd think you never drive your showpiece, Tom!!

I ran some new brake hard lines recently and used insulated P-clamps to hold them in. They cam in 6mm and 8mm ID. When I rewire my truck in the coming weeks I'll be using them for the harness.

P Clips: Car, Truck Parts | eBay

I try not to use metal to hold wiring. Have seen them abrade the insulation and short, if plastic does it, doesn't short.

I try not to use metal to hold wiring. Have seen them abrade the insulation and short, if plastic does it, doesn't short.

Depends how tight the clamp is on the loom trunk of course..

I'm fussy about my wiring. I've even glued rubber pads here and there to combat chafing (and paint damage) related to the loom trunking. Here's one thick rubber pad:
EngineHiRes01.jpg

At the point where the loom is held down, you can wrap it in a few extra layers of Elliot tape or even better, Tesa high heat tape. Very abrasion resistant.

@lostmarbles looking at the engine, I see how you spend your free time :D Beautiful.

For my unintended frame-off (stupid COVID boredom) virtually all of the 'wiring clamps' broke or had to get cut.

When I put it back together I'll use the Toyota 'push-in' style where I have no access to the back, but what are people's thoughts on these where you can gate a fastener on the backside?:
Amazon product ASIN B01A6NC7HO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom