Winter tires and driving (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here are the Hakka 9s on 20” Tundra wheels.

CB37DD74-78A0-4B7F-B3A3-D679D53C9030.jpeg

Put Hakka 9s on. 275/65/18 on Tundra TRD wheels.

Initial impression is - much quieter than Hakka 8 on the Tacoma - not really a surprise, but the difference is larger than expected. The stud crackling noise is hardly noticeaale in comparison. There is some hum/drone at 35-40 mph and also around 65 mph, but that depends on the asphalt type. I've been really hesitating between the 9s and R3s, in the end went for the overkill of studs... I'll use them as excuse to travel far north in the winter :)

IMG_2972.JPG

There was one suggestion earlier in this thread about carrying chains just in case. Even though I run Hakka R2s in the winter, I throw a set of chains in the back just in case. What I do is go to Les Schwab here in CO and "buy" two pair of chains for $100 each. If I don't use them (which has always been the case) I can return them for a full refund after April 1. Just an idea for those of you who rarely drive in snow and want a backup plan.

Oh great... here we go with the chain debate again... :deadhorse:

I've run my Hakka R3's in a couple of storms now and I am definitely impressed. MUCH better behaved than the KO2's. But even on dry pavement, they are remarkably smooth and quiet. Well worth the investment.

@unclemat where did you get your Nokians? Direct Tire?

Oh great... here we go with the chain debate again... :deadhorse:

Ha ha. Certainly no debate intended from me. . But if someone decides they’re an option for them be sure to read the section about using them in the owners manual and if you live near a Les Schwab tire center here is a tip for maybe saving money.

@unclemat where did you get your Nokians? Direct Tire?

Oh, no. Direct Tire is stupid overpriced. Got them from Smooth Automotive in Medford. I used to buy Nokians from Maynard & Lesieur in Nashua, NH, but Smooth has better prices, is close to me, and the guys there are cool. One of them is a fellow Subaru Legacy GT enthusiast (has a wagon like mine).

Bummed they didn't release these this winter. Explains why I couldn't find any LT2 in stock anywhere.

Reviving an old thread. Does anyone have opinions on the Nokian Hakka R3 SUV vs. the Nokian LT3 (non-studded version)? I like the idea of an E rated tire for winter too (I have E rated AT's the rest of the year), and the deeper treads on the LT3 might do better in the snow and last longer? Not interested in studded tires, overkill for my area. Thanks in advance for any input.

Reviving an old thread. Does anyone have opinions on the Nokian Hakka R3 SUV vs. the Nokian LT3 (non-studded version)? I like the idea of an E rated tire for winter too (I have E rated AT's the rest of the year), and the deeper treads on the LT3 might do better in the snow and last longer? Not interested in studded tires, overkill for my area. Thanks in advance for any input.

I rocked the R3 last winter - very very sure footed. they were significantly gripier on any snow that was wet, packed, or icy than my AT’s ever have been. For what it’s worth they also ride very well on the highway. Now I suppose it’s worth mentioning that my BFG AT KO2’s we’re the only comparison. I’m running duratracs now and rum or is that they do significantly better in the snow.

Can you get the LT3 non studded? I thought studded Nokian’s came studded from the factory? I would bet if you can get it non-studded it will be pretty good in snow but but no where close to the R3 on I’ve given the difference in compound.

It's worth remembering (or learning) that studs are not designed to suit winter conditions in North America. You're paying for a feature that provides no benefit to your driving, and may even compromise safety in some conditions. Just fit a set of Blizzak DM-V2s (the 32.6x10.4-18s are perfect for the 200) and call it a day.

It's worth remembering (or learning) that studs are not designed to suit winter conditions in North America. You're paying for a feature that provides no benefit to your driving, and may even compromise safety in some conditions. Just fit a set of Blizzak DM-V2s (the 32.6x10.4-18s are perfect for the 200) and call it a day.

Not using studs in NA is a bold statement. I ran Nokian Hakka 9 studs in Alaska where they don’t use salt and roads develop a hard pack/ice sheet throughout winter. Studded tires also allowed me to safely drive the Alcan from AK to the L48 in the dead of winter on ice covers roads.

Non-studded tires could not offer the same level of confidence or performance.

Not using studs in NA is a bold statement. I ran Nokian Hakka 9 studs in Alaska where they don’t use salt and roads develop a hard pack/ice sheet throughout winter. Studded tires also allowed me to safely drive the Alcan from AK to the L48 in the dead of winter on ice covers roads.

Non-studded tires could not offer the same level of confidence or performance.

Yet tests show they outperform studded tires. Studs only provide a very small advantage on clear ice between zero and 32 degrees. They cannot help in snow, compromise grip in slushy, wet, or dry conditions, and if you drive with them at all on bare pavement, you wear the studs down to the point of ineffectiveness in 1,000 miles or less.

Studs are only designed for drivers who never encounter bare pavement. And even for that very small group, the latest studless tires offer a broader spread of capabilities.

Yet tests show they outperform studded tires. Studs only provide a very small advantage on clear ice between zero and 32 degrees. They cannot help in snow, compromise grip in slushy, wet, or dry conditions, and if you drive with them at all on bare pavement, you wear the studs down to the point of ineffectiveness in 1,000 miles or less.

Studs are only designed for drivers who never encounter bare pavement. And even for that very small group, the latest studless tires offer a broader spread of capabilities.

1,000 miles? C’mon Wes. I have 25k miles on my studded Hakka 9s and only about half that on actual snow/ice. Studs are still in fantastic shape as are the treads.

As someone who has lived and used both in Northern climates - I will run studs. All the time.

1,000 miles? C’mon Wes. I have 25k miles on my studded Hakka 9s and only about half that on actual snow/ice. Studs are still in fantastic shape as are the treads.

As someone who has lived and used both in Northern climates - I will run studs. All the time.

Read the article. This is based on research, not one person's experience.

Umm based on a study done in 1995? Yeah nothing has changed since 1995, like when we didn't have smart phones, and the internet was is its infancy.

I drive a ton in the winter on snow and ice and dry roads. I can't clearly find the details on the studies used but am not going to waste my time looking as clearly the author says we are outdated yet he is using old data.

Flame on but you won't get my studded snows from me. See here in Maine where I live down a long dirt road we frequently have ice, under snow and studs have made a huge difference. Someone posted earlier the study where stud are killing the planet and people too but it was another old study. I have a regular 2 hour drive to the mountains for skiing that we take weekly and I will never give up the studs.

I will take the risks and keep my wife and kids safe when driving in terrible conditions which we do on a regular basis.

John

You are wrong. Although I agree for most people in the US stud-less tires are better then studded. I’m in Alaska and studded are the standard. Modern studded tires like Hakka 9’s are not just an AT tire with studs it is a complete tire system. Nokian (the gold standard in winter tires) considers the studded Hakka 9 their top winter tire Above the R3. I’ve run studded Nokians for a long time and for Alaska (and most of Canada) they are the best. I currently I have hakka 5 on my sons Subaru, Hakka 7 on my LX, hakka 7 on our MB e 4-matic, and Hakka 9 on our Tesla. Can consistently get 5-7+ winters out of a set. When you look at the data studless tires with the best performance, that performance dramatically decreases with wear. I know many people that put on a new set of Blizzak’s every winter (thanks Costco).

outdoor mag is hardly an authority on winter driving. Check out the yearly NAF (Norwegian auto federation) they are the authority on winter tire review. Look back and most years the top studless are 5th to 10th over all, and most studded in the top half and most studless in the bottom half.

Here is a link to the overview with an imbedded link to the NAF. Read the last few years reviews and still tell me studless is better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom