Winter tires and driving (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So this discussion started as a tangent from another thread so I figured I would start a new one instead of hijacking the other. I also felt it was appropriate since up here the leaves are mostly off the trees and we’ve already had snow in the mountains.

I think a big misconception with vehicles is good off road ability correlates to good on winter roads. Which is not true. The best preforming winter vehicles are AWD cars. Subaru (except BRZ), Audi quattro cars, MB 4matic cars, ... these are light weight, have a low CG, narrow tires, and weight is relatively balanced f/r. Pretty much the opposite of a Big heavy SUV. Some of the worst vehicles for winter driving are almost anything RWD, pickups, and wranglers. That is not to say many people don’t drive those up here year round but they don’t preform nearly as well as the pre mentioned “best” given equal tire set ups. I’ve been planning on doing a winter driving “vs” video with our vehicles: LX 570 vs Tesla vs MB e320 4matic vs Subaru Legacy.

I will say as well my expectations for winter driving safety is to me as close to summer as possible. I buy summer tires about every 4-5 years and winter tires about the same interval so that is 1 set of 4 and 1 set of 5 tires (I do a 5 tire rotation on my summer set) every 8-10 years. I change my summers when I’m down to ~20% and winters when I’m down to ~40% and sell my old set. I figure if it saves me 1 collision, guard rail tap, nose in a ditch/snowbank, it’s well worth it.

I have spent 40 of the 44 years of my life in long winter regions: Tahoe, CO, UT, BC Canada, and Alaska. We were in NE TN for 4 years but I don’t count that as a winter region. The difference between the others and AK is most all season tires do ok on fresh snow and moderate temperatures. AK is huge, some areas get a lot of snow (Girdwood, Valdez) most places don’t get all that much as in the <100 inches a year range. However unlike many other places up here it doesn’t melt and we don’t salt. What that leads to is roads covered in very cold compressed snow and ice that is much slicker than fresh snow. In addition to that as the temps drop all seasons compound gets harder and the tread tends to freeze up.

I guess I’m a bit of a tire enthusiast but think of how many people on their 200 run off-road, AT, MT tires for the “look” alone. Or my question would you plan a trip to Moab or the Rubacon and not have an appropriate tire set up?

I think Nokian are by far the best winter tire and have been running them on all our vehicles the last 10 years. Over the years I’ve also had blizzaks, x-ice, general, hankook, and coopers. My least favorite were the Hankook studded iPike that The dealer talked me into (for I think $500) when I bought my LX. They really were terrible, slightly better than all seasons. I ran them for about a month and sold them on Craig’s list.

So for those who live in areas that have snow on the ground a significant portion of the year what tires do you like? If you don’t switch out why not?

Nokians studded

I have had various models currently running the hakkapellitA SUV 9s on both my 200 series

I can go anywhere anytime and never have an issue. Deep snow, ice etc

My 80
Is getting new studded nokians this year and trying to figure which ones

I have run them on my cruisers and well as trucks and the studded snows make an unbelievable difference

I never will go without.

We ski a ton and the best skiing is when it snows. I learned a number of years ago with my 2005 100 series driving to the mountain and I almost slid off the road into a lake despite at tires that were reportedly great in the snow. I had my wife and kids in the car and the next day bought studded nokians and never have had issues

John

For all of the years I have owned AWD cars (Subarus) and SUV's I have always opted for winter driving tires, I feel the seasonal swap of the tires saves on the other set and I get the same value as I would driving one set until its time to get new ones. For me the one thing stock tires haven't done on AWD cars or even SUV's is protect against ice and stupid drivers who refuse to get snows on their FWD cars.

Last year I had just gotten my Highland Platinum and my snows hadn't been ordered, it was mid November and I was getting ready to order. I hit a patch of black ice where other cars had slowed/stopped due to someone being off the road. That recent incident was enough to remind me to get my snows asap as I nearly wrecked my new vehicle.

This year I was able to pay off my Highlander and traded it in for my dream 2018 TLC 200 I ordered in April and took delivery in July of this year. Snows are once again on my mind and what to order. I had tried Nokian tires, but I didn't like them on a Sequoia I had, didn't opt for studs then but I felt the ice traction wasn't there.

I am looking at getting a set of 5 TRD wheels in the spring to put my all seasons back on, and getting a set of 5 snows to put on my stock rims. I really only see Blizzak DM-V2 on Tire Rack.com, thoughts on those or any other ice gripping snows for the TLC200?

Guess I should have mentioned I have Nokian Hakka 7 on my LX 570 going into my 3rd winter on them, Hakka 9 on the Tesla, and Hakka 5 on the MB and Subaru both going on 7th winter and still >50% tread.

I ran Nokia’s on my 4Runner. That thing was awesome in the snow. I haven’t got snow tires for my 200. In November I’ll take off my highway tires and put my K02s back on — not as good as snow tires, but I figure they will be better than my highway tires.

Similar experience here, one white-knuckle instance sliding sideways down Hwy 285 in our 4Runner on some Bridgestone ATs is all it took to convince me to stick with dedicated winter tires.

Going into our third winter on Nokian Hakka R2s on our 200. Great tire for our needs, mix of dry pavement on the Front Range and frequent mountain driving. If I lived in the mountains I would get the studded version. I’ve been tempted to keep the KO2s on for a winter just to see how they’d do, but with the Nokians already on hand it’s hard to not use them.

Ran my ridge grapplers since they were fairly new last winter. Managed to get pushed off the road by a plow. It drove right out and surprised me. Tires were great in deep snow, but it felt sketchy on snow/ice covered roads. I felt safer in our mini-van with winter tires.

What sizes is everyone running? I am just looking now for something to put on a extra set of rw I bought this summer. Was hoping to stick to the 285/70-17, but not finding many options. Considering the Nokian Hakka LT2 as it comes in that size. Anyone know if the Nokians run true to size? Any one tried these before?

I run 265/60 18 on my Nokian. They are a little over an inch smaller in diameter than my summer KO2 in 275/55 20

As far as Blizzaks they are good for the first winter or 2 then take a major dive in performance. I know a few people that hate the sound of studs so they put a new set of Blizzaks on every fall and run them year round, lazy. I would try the Nokian Hakka R2s if I lived in an area with more dry road driving in the winter.

Lxid. I had my KO2s on a month longer than I wanted 2 winters ago and they were ok on fresh snow but were sketchy on firm snow and ice and I would like imagine would get worse as the temps got below zero.

Right after I purchased my 2014 LX this past April I put on the Nokian Rotiiva A/T in 275/55/20. I couldn't be happier. I got to run them in snow a few times. They look great, are silent on the highway and have the 3PMSF snow rating.

kOh_romAilbGn7oTyc7lxtKIlZMSLP8smLGZRxgS8jzMyMGU7HqV1nwncdJHxNj72LNiyvuz0Uj_beSa072ZdncsO_QxM9Ufze1chzURew_EMVXRSBuUgQJHbbbwmZVygiX_7yr8AAJxhQTb-B8m_1jaor0jjaxaiOX46stPJtmsXGBn0M1cZ5NDnFxwvO9_WCbd_teSeG5o11SmOzIsGY9HVn4LEAwUT_xzlKr3LTdc5PpvpG3D7aWxBJ3lUlp6MftjCVtYMieftozkdc2k8OfNCN3u-wqARz5ZNzuQI73mIuxmitRJVJlgbheu4aCjX11sCFjv9U88qD5vQRT8UKoYfkODcliv8AvKqPspZNCLl0aPFyO-zLpscTMafrb5u_uGSQBkxMwim7HyZX0RYDMErv8dIFy5RXV6X88U1mSNnP8FdJErgSDD9Dnl29CJ9oTrqjx0bjV7bg9DQYhSaV2JRrjD1lkL3fPJDWkD08AiWS0H0-x4FoSbkjc15eGASoRIvWHT-mGQD5EULsBfMTehsUanJc0d0HAV-9beqkm0TmSKIM_lcyjQa0Muc9oLrKPQ14FjhgZE7xjQsnqE0LA_HOrp2jZFVmvT7wTGSp_3KNp6k_zldDrHbI2cbG4XNn2EMObBjmJpeFTDBBe9NfoVOTmh5sa3SAxP7OdjtKhJlayq0XEr7A2HEA=w633-h843-no

0Fx2btUN0N91jmN--qPEAyvsHzRQTtU0ASkGBFIzzQHBFm1ddnay09pj9yuql38jsEqnB2quFqi7p4FlIGtg8juLcqeUYQO71YQU92hzi8JUna1AdDgHdL0nw3obEGgW_XCSd1UdYdaA5-XK6s-An9WQhiQ_90SwgLtRuFFIqr9omHCGrqQgZKw0Vg0-tezHhnUmaC4HnT3eY53bkhK3LaIyy51ftMRvskxkU1mXOyAWE7Qv3djccBgWeLBm0swa2TcBpVVJtbFGqteHTqXWTyMvdGZ_dhTzVO9KSgsOdpWKyb5-ksdaZFB5IA6cszMZeBxHWUIphLgC32DE5IKdTRPX4T3_LuTF9KLjXifD0yUq16aORyRd-tF2KkFhse5lPgD1EA9F5ZDkOdH2l-VzaYYruK_uD9FFqZFVbVt6FJBdAc3lrw879ab3zYV-h8-gksYXP_t69WL2G6OsuVNVTsC6es6WgRnkGy3AuUDn15hewS45qY3RGxVIa3ipjreYYceSgNyO24sywQPn9tnbxQFJO2eejv2DJzNnu-FNBs1q5w3-Sn7w5oLZLVDzLh_xOFswi7zrwJQhzEnlRfGuolOT3eHaQsBmfP213vkABwGlc-ohqMGr48m5G29XeUt0_d0WQ7wCCRrQLPZdfuF3LdYhPO_-7uzTi17ElR_UvgKwqBzgNRSyp9P0Vg=w1124-h843-no

No doubt. I grew up in Sweden and am a religious fanatic when it comes to snow tires. I run Nokian Hakka 2s (studded) on my Ford and Blizzak WS80 on my Honda. Still trying to decide what to do on my LX 570 this year (first winter with it).

I’ve driven all over AK and Canadaian North on AT tires (trail grappler, Mickey Baja ATZ P3, KM2’s etc) it’s definitely doable. However I agree it’s not the best or ideal. Ideally would be a set of custom studded and siped ridge grappler or similar however that’s not easy for most ppl. Nokian makes a great tire - that’s what Arctic Trucks uses on their trucks. However the problem I’ve alwys had is finding a good winter and/or studded tire in a larger size. My ram runs 37.12.50R17’s and the only studded tire I’ve found is Mastercraft Courser. My 200 runs a 285/75R17. I have yet to find any kind of snow or studded snow tire for that size. My suspension height coils everything are set for that size. I’d rather run an M+S tire than go with dicking around changing tire sizes. Unless someone here can recommend something in that range? (Or 37’s on my ram? Which is going to NWT and Prudhoe Bay in January)

Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT2
LT285/70R17 121/118Q Studded

I don't think the difference of the 70s to 75s are significant. It is less than 5%.

John

When we lived in Connecticut I ran Nokian R2s on our ML350 and our S4. I ran those for 3 winters including a roadtrip to Texas from CT. It would have been 4 winters had someone not slashed them. When I sold the S4 and got the 911 a set of Michelin Pilot Alpins went on for winter. I loved them all especially the Alpins. Snow actually stayed on the ground out there.

That said we haven't run snows on the 200 or our Tundra in CO, but give it a day or two and the snow or ice would go away anyways (sometimes same day). We did okay on the stock Dunlops on with the one mild winter in CT we living there. This last winter in CO I had no issue on the Duratracs I run on the 200 (285/70/17). I don't run studded Duratracs and haven't seen the need so far. The new Duratracs did about as well as the worn Nokians on the ML before we sold the ML and got the Tundra which sat on stock Michelin AT2s until Ridge Grapplers went on.

I would run into sheet ice typically around Black Forest, CO and the Duratracs did alright but it was everyone else you really had to watch out for especially with so many rollovers on straight roads. Additional reaction time to everyone else I think is the key benefit you get from winters. Often on those days I stuck to dirt as you avoided other people and the Duratracs could bite in to the surface. The Grapplers seemed to do fine in fresh snow but I never drove that truck on ice. I still have the stock 18s for the 200 so I've got the flexibility to put one truck on winters but not sure I will. Seems like Duratracs or maybe Exo-Grapplers without the studs would be all I need, but a few more winters here and I'll adjust. I probably won't touch KO2s as I've not read kind words on their ice performance in comparison to those two.

I put haakapelita's on our 200 last winter and probably wont be putting them back on this winter. I did get Nitto Ridge Grapplers this summer new and they will stay on for awhile as I want to see how they handle the snow and ice. I've always used BFG AT TA's on my Tacoma all year round with zero complaints. The haakapelita's are great on the road but as soon as you are off the pavement or in really deep snow I wasn't so impressed....

Having had my LX570 for almost 2 years now, living in Seattle area, I've been fine on all season Coopers. 2 winters ago I took the LX to Whistler, B.C. during a snow storm. Truck did awesome.

I live in a very hilly area with higher elevation than most of the city. Very steep hills and inclines. During a few snow storms last year the LX did great on my Cooper all seasons. Passed by many sedans, SUVs, and trucks left stranded on the side. Heck, my next door neighbor's Rav4 couldn't make it up the incline we both live on. He stayed home. I left and went to check things out at my office.

I've lived in Seattle for 13+ years now. We get maybe 1-2 weeks of snow every year, sometimes more, sometimes less. Though it seems that every year that passes, we get more and more snow. YMMV.

I started running studded Nokian’s during the winter in MT/WY on my Galant VR4 21ish yrs ago and never looked back. I’ve always justified them on my wife’s vehicles after I switched to LC’s and will be massaging their 275/65R20 LT2 under her LX in a couple weeks.

Then hopefully before spring I can find a set of Rock Warriors to put AT’s on as a summer set.

Last edited:
Very timely thread. I have access to the original 18" rims from the original owner of my '15, he said I could have them. So they will be my winter set, keep the RW's out of the salt exposure. I'm not that impressed with the BFG KO2's in the winter anyway, good in deep fresh snow but not so much on packed snow and ice.

I was gonna go with Blizzaks, but this thread has me looking at the Nokians. I sure hope their tires are better than their website, the Dealer Locator is painfully slow, and unusable on a mobile device. None of the usual stores around here carry them, I'm gonna have to order the R3's (R2's are NLA) from a small indy shop. Not cheap, especially when you have to do all 5!

I looked up comparisons on the Nokian Hakkapelitta R3 and the results were impressive putting them equally on par or above other winter tires. Of course where Nokian gets dinged is price, but spending an extra $30 a tire on an $85k vehicle makes a lot of sense if it can help keep you out of the ditch on slushy, crappy roads in Upstate NY :) so I will get pricing on the Nokian Hakkapelitta R3's from my dealer.

I just ordered a set of Nokian Hakkapellitta R3 SUV's for my LX in 285/50/20. $226 a tire + tax. I hope they live up to the hype.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom