Windshield Wiper Repair Tip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Like may before me, time has taken its' toll on my wipers. Of course they decide to die when it was raining yesterday but I was able to get home safely.

Today I remove them from the upper windshield frame for a quick clean and lube. I think this is the second time in the last 39 years. When I opened things up there was plenty of lube but the drivers side shaft was now frozen in the housing. I missed this clip on the passenger side during disassembly but caught it before it was able to get away and end up lost forever.

Wiper Shaft Ring Clip.jpg

I got lucky and didn't damage it just driving the shaft out of the housing. I didn't see the ring opening and just thought it was the edge of the shaft. The drivers side came off with the aide of a pick and small screw driver.

Also, there are washers on any moving parts and sometimes on both sides and in one case more than one.

Washers and Clips.jpg

This time I chose to use less lube during re-assembly. I also used Super Lube, a Teflon lube, instead of grease.

Once things were back together and the housing mounted to the upper windshield I tested them before installing the wiper arms. This did two things, it verified that everything was working and it also positioned both shafts in the wiper arm raised position.

Good luck on your next rebuild.

x2 on the shafts freezing up. Mine did it too. Here in the rust belt it's bad. The whole shaft spun loose and started twisting in the ws in the rubber washers.

Good little tip. I'm about to have to rebuild mine in the not too distant future. I'll definitely refer to this post. Thanks for the write-up!

I had a chance to dive in to this 4 years ago. I did a bunch of stuff wrong. How come I don't feel smarter? Good writeup and pics.

Larry

Thanks guys. This was the best picture I could find and I quickly realized that it did not show all the parts.

Fig 9-24.jpg

Now this was from a 70 service manual and mine is a 73 but I doubt that the washers and clips were not also used then. I also forgot to mention that there was a small brass pin in the housing that fell out. It's purpose was to help align the gasket and cover on the housing. It's really small, maybe 1/16" in diameter and maybe 1/8" long. If lost it's not a deal breaker as the cover screws will keep things in place I'm sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom